Do you love coffee?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just realised I haven't tried Starbucks in quite a while. My boss at work is a Costa man so I'm thinking of giving them a try. Forgive me Starbucks...

We have Costa here. I'm not a big fan. Then again I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks either. :p Though they have gotten a bit better.

I was in London on Saturday. We were planning on going to Starbucks because they have a new single origin coffee available but we ended up going to Apostrophe because the have better cakes. :p The coffee isn't bad either.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We have Costa here. I'm not a big fan. Then again I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks either. :p Though they have gotten a bit better.

I was in London on Saturday. We were planning on going to Starbucks because they have a new single origin coffee available but we ended up going to Apostrophe because the have better cakes. :p The coffee isn't bad either.

Stateside, Starbucks are always packed in the morning. Sometimes there's actually a line that goes outside with people waiting for coffee. Last fall when I was in Lyon, France, I discovered a Starbucks in their pedestrian zone and it was like the loneliest place in town. Two people sitting on the inside and two people on the outside drinking their coffee in the morning. I wonder how they stay in business.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Stateside, Starbucks are always packed in the morning. Sometimes there's actually a line that goes outside with people waiting for coffee. Last fall when I was in Lyon, France, I discovered a Starbucks in their pedestrian zone and it was like the loneliest place in town. Two people sitting on the inside and two people on the outside drinking their coffee in the morning. I wonder how they stay in business.

Starbucks are big here too. Costa and Starbucks are the ones you find in the motorway service centres.

In London I'm sure they're busy as well (mostly tourists) but there are many independent coffee shops around if you know where to go. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Do you like coffee ��?

Today's espresso of choice is Nespresso Vanilio

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_090210.jpg
    IMG_20150126_090210.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 2

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Tried a Caffe Nero latte today when meeting workmates for a site visit. Wasn't too bad

I don't mind Caf? Nero coffee. They're just not as easy to find as Starbucks and Costa. Well Costa is the more dominant one here.

Posted by my Nexus 7

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I need to buy some decent coffee. The stuff I've been buying recently just isn't working for me at home.

Being stuck drinking Costa at work isn't helping... :/ There's a Starbucks nearby but it's cold out and I can't be bothered walking there. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So.... I bought some coffee beans on Saturday. We don't have a local roaster (man that would be great!) but I thought I'd try something out anyway. We were at Waitrose (UK chain, a bit on the higher end) and they didn't have the largest coffee bean selection, lots of a pre ground coffee, which I hate.

I ended up buying a French roast, Waitrose brand coffee. The beans were fairly oily and I was trying to remember what that meant, so I did a bit of research because I remembered some things and have forgotten others, so here for your information...

When beans are roasted they generally push the oils to the surface of the bean. A medium roast will be dry and sometimes a touch oily and a dark roast will usually be oily on the surface. A light roast will typically be dry.

A French roast is a dark roast and of course the beans are oily. The flavours are more on the savoury side while the medium roasts tend to be sweeter/fruiter. Light roasts are typically a bit on the bitter side, for me anyway.

Dark roasts tend to have less caffeine than medium or light. Which is why some people are able to drink several cups of dark roast and only one or two medium roast coffees.

Last bit, if you buy a dark roast coffee and it isn't oily that means it's probably stale.

Some people dislike dark roast coffee and there's a belief that the only reason why it came about is due to it's lighter weight so cheaper to ship. However, it's really a taste thing. I like both dark and medium roast coffee for different reasons.

The coffee I bought isn't too bad. Still not fantastic but better than the other stuff. I need to go in search of a good medium roast.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Funny\Strange how we will stick with a certain cup for a while then switch cups.

Was looking for my fav cup this a.m. then I noticed my cup with the penguins on it.
So now it will be my friend for a couple of days.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Somebody gave me a packet of Big Boy coffee. I'm guessing it's what they use at the restaurants. It doesn't say how many ounces on the package, so how much water should I use to brew it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium