Do you love coffee?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did a search on the internet as I never heard of them. If you have the box of individual packages they're 6oz each.

Big Boy Gourmet Coffee | Big Boy Restaurants

The only time I have drip filter coffee is at work when it's free or in Finland. Finland loves their coffee.... for the caffeine.
Thanks! That answers my question. :smile: I have one single package.

Popular Mechanics mentions the following: "If you're still using a Mr. Coffee, then run one brew cycle with just water—no coffee—to saturate the filter. This will remove the filter's papery taste, as well as eliminate surface irregularities and dry spots, allowing the brewing water to soak the grounds more evenly. Now run a second brew cycle with the coffee." Is this true?

I do plan to get a French press.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! That answers my question. I have one single package.

Popular Mechanics mentions the following: "If you're still using a Mr. Coffee, then run one brew cycle with just water?no coffee?to saturate the filter. This will remove the filter's papery taste, as well as eliminate surface irregularities and dry spots, allowing the brewing water to soak the grounds more evenly. Now run a second brew cycle with the coffee." Is this true?

French press is what I use at home most of the time. My espresso machine some times.

I really like seeing a crema at the top when I use a French press.

You can get a milk frother and have cappuccinos. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
French press is what I use at home most of the time. My espresso machine some times.

I really like seeing a crema at the top when I use a French press.

You can get a milk frother and have cappuccinos. :)

Those are pretty common in France. A lot of our rentals have had them for making coffee. I think they call it a сafeti?re ? piston. Nespresso is also pretty popular in France.

Stateside, you either find a drip coffee maker or Keurig machines.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! That answers my question. :smile: I have one single package.

Popular Mechanics mentions the following: "If you're still using a Mr. Coffee, then run one brew cycle with just water—no coffee—to saturate the filter. This will remove the filter's papery taste, as well as eliminate surface irregularities and dry spots, allowing the brewing water to soak the grounds more evenly. Now run a second brew cycle with the coffee." Is this true?

I've never used a paper filter with my French Press, if that's what they're referring to.... ?

The presses I use have a mesh filter with a spring. This allows the crema to be filtered through and still leave the taste of the coffee oils. If you use paper you'll lose those notes as it gets trapped in the paper.

The only reason you may want to use a paper filter is due to the ground being too fine. When using a French press you need a loose ground, like a medium to coarse ground. Not a fine ground, that goes through the wire mesh and ends up in your coffee. In which case their description makes sense to soak the paper filter first.

If you're going to go French press buy a quality one. The most important part is the mesh and spring. Ensure the one you buy you can get a replacements as the spring and mesh eventually wear out.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Those are pretty common in France. A lot of our rentals have had them for making coffee. I think they call it a сafeti?re ? piston. Nespresso is also pretty popular in France.

Stateside, you either find a drip coffee maker or Keurig machines.

They're fairly common in the EU. Along with Nespresso machines. Drip filters are also common.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a paper filter with my French Press, if that's what they're referring to.... ?

The presses I use have a mesh filter with a spring. This allows the crema to be filtered through and still leave the taste of the coffee oils. If you use paper you'll lose those notes as it gets trapped in the paper.

The only reason you may want to use a paper filter is due to the ground being too fine. When using a French press you need a loose ground, like a medium to coarse ground. Not a fine ground, that goes through the wire mesh and ends up in your coffee. In which case their description makes sense to soak the paper filter first.

If you're going to go French press buy a quality one. The most important part is the mesh and spring. Ensure the one you buy you can get a replacements as the spring and mesh eventually wear out.

They're saying that if one uses a drip coffee maker that the coffee will taste better if plain water is run through the filter. Then add coffee to the wet filter and brew the coffee.

I've never done that, and I wondered if that makes coffee taste better when brewed in a drip coffee maker.

I wouldn't use any filters with a French press. They don't either.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They're saying that if one uses a drip coffee maker that the coffee will taste better if plain water is run through the filter. Then add coffee to the wet filter and brew the coffee.

I've never done that, and I wondered if that makes coffee taste better when brewed in a drip coffee maker.

I wouldn't use any filters with a French press. They don't either.
I mustn't have read that correctly.

I think I've heard of it before but I don't drink filter on a regular basis so I wouldn't know for sure.

The coffee books I read all dissed filter coffee. Though I've run into gourmet coffee shops using a filter system.

I'm into the pure coffee taste myself so I try to avoid filters. I often find filter coffee lacking something.

There are filters for French presses. Just so you know I'm not loopy. I'd never use one, though I can see the appeal.

http://www.roastmasters.com/french-press-filters.html

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I did not start drinking coffee until I was about 30. Over the next few years, I ramped-up to about 1 pot a day. Sometimes more.

I became ill about 4 years ago and one of the things I have to watch now is caffeine. UGH. So I'm back to about 1 cup a day. I really should give it up, but I can't quite shake the urge to have a cup in the morning.

My days of heavy dark rich coffee and most Espresso drinks are over unfortunately. I can still do a Latte if that is my only cup of the day.

I used to be one hellava aficionado when it came to coffee. French Press, yes. Made my own Espresso drinks. Savored every drop. Now, I can't indulge like I used to because of health reasons. But I suppose it's all for the best. I guess 1 cup a day is better than no cups. And moderation of coffee just like chocolate is probably a good thing. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786