On-line consumerism

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sooo who here is an E-Bay, Amazon or Craigslist junkie?

I used to buy from CL until it started getting risky.
My E-Bay buys usually end up with me crying and the wife giving a lecture.
This leaves Amazon...I try to stick to "Sold by Amazon" which normally results in satisfaction.
Newegg is another good source these days shipping can be somewhat glacial however.

So what is your fav or not so fav?
Been ripped off lately?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Awww
I had forgotten about the CL killer!
Sold a number of items on CL mostly cars, parts, tools and two trailers.
CL is a very scary place anymore which is very sad :cry:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Never used Craigslist.

I still use eBay to sell my old phones. I've bought a few things off eBay. I've only had problems with thing I've ordered that are shipped from China. Some times the order go to a person in the states, but then they ship from China. The last problem I had was I ordered two 2.0 amp 5v USB wall chargers. A month later I get a package from China with one 9v wall charger with a round plug. I PM'ed the seller and they apologized for the error and said they would correct it right away. Then two weeks later I get a package from China with two 500mA USB wall charger. I gave up since they were only $5 each with shipping. I could go on and on here with other failures from eBay. :grin:

I use NewEgg a lot for PC stuff and I've brought a few phones from them. Their shipping is terrible now. It use to take two days to get my order. Now they use the partial UPS then transfer to the USPS shipping and it gets lost at USPS for two or three days before it gets delivered. So now the two day shipment takes 5 to 7 days.

I also use Amazon a lot and I look for the "Sold by Amazon"

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ordered a couple of things from Amazon.
Kind of weird because my order was recieved-processed-shipped in about 4 hours.
Be here tomorrow via On-Track.

This is how Amazon used to be, say 2 years ago when I would get my stuff from the Fernley Nevada warehouse about 150 miles east of here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Never used Craigslist.

I still use eBay to sell my old phones. I've bought a few things off eBay. I've only had problems with thing I've ordered that are shipped from China. Some times the order go to a person in the states, but then they ship from China. The last problem I had was I ordered two 2.0 amp 5v USB wall chargers. A month later I get a package from China with one 9v wall charger with a round plug. I PM'ed the seller and they apologized for the error and said they would correct it right away. Then two weeks later I get a package from China with two 500mA USB wall charger. I gave up since they were only $5 each with shipping. I could go on and on here with other failures from eBay. :grin:

I use NewEgg a lot for PC stuff and I've brought a few phones from them. Their shipping is terrible now. It use to take two days to get my order. Now they use the partial UPS then transfer to the USPS shipping and it gets lost at USPS for two or three days before it gets delivered. So now the two day shipment takes 5 to 7 days.

I also use Amazon a lot and I look for the "Sold by Amazon"

I've never purchased from eBay sellers in China: UK and Australia were the only overseas eBay sellers I've purchased from. I had no issues and loved the packaging with the Royal Mail postage. I've actually saved the packaging, just because I thought the Royal Mail stamps from UK were cool.

Thanks for the advice about NewEgg. I haven't purchased anything from them recently, but I wouldn't like the slow shipping.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Palandri!
"sold by Amazon" is very important for order speed and servicing.

Just a note*
I used to get parts for my BB Curve from China sellers on E-Bay.
They kept it alive with new parts for quite a while.
The scroll balls used to die frequently.

I miss the 'ole curve sometimes :cry:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Palandri!
"sold by Amazon" is very important for order speed and servicing.

Just a note*
I used to get parts for my BB Curve from China sellers on E-Bay.
They kept it alive with new parts for quite a while.
The scroll balls used to die frequently.

I miss the 'ole curve sometimes :cry:

I had a Bold 9000 and never replaced its trackball. It still works. There is paint missing from the keyboard, but the trackball is the original and still works.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Trackball!
Couldn't recall the name...lol...

Always wanted a Bold...very nice, well designed, felt really good in hand.
Frankly back in the day when seeing other folks with just about any BB they always raved about their device.

Definitely a trend setting platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Trackball!
Couldn't recall the name...lol...

Always wanted a Bold...very nice, well designed, felt really good in hand.
Frankly back in the day when seeing other folks with just about any BB they always raved about their device.

Definitely a trend setting platform.

The Bold 9000 had a clear trackball, so it glowed in the dark, which was cooler than the Curve 8900 trackball.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for going on...

I was just thinking.
I think the trackball along with the keypad on the BB somehow made me feel more connected to the device.
Meaning the mechanics of the design were quite engaging.
I know the smooth glass is the thing now...yet being an old timer I could certainly appreciate the hardware elements of the past.

K all done reminiscing.
:winktongue:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apologies for going on...

I was just thinking.
I think the trackball along with the keypad on the BB somehow made me feel more connected to the device.
Meaning the mechanics of the design were quite engaging.
I know the smooth glass is the thing now...yet being an old timer I could certainly appreciate the hardware elements of the past.

K all done reminiscing.
:winktongue:
I totally understand. There was even a thread on the CB forums called "Trackball Lights" in the Off-Topic forums. It was the 50K/75K thread before any other forums thought of such a thread.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I remember that thread.
Joined Crackberry way back when first obtaining the Curve.
Crackberry was the place to be.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the cheap-o T-Mobile 8520 $45.00 a month.
Loved Blackberry maps!
Used that constantly.

Cool!

I used BB much earlier. When I got my Bold 9000, the Curve models available were the 8820 and 8900 at AT&T. I chose the Bold 9000, since it had 3G. The 2 Curves only had EDGE.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I read around Craigslist, but never bought or sold anything from there. I use ebay a little, but not much, and I haven't for a while. I use Amazon, Tiger Direct and Newegg for most of my shopping.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Woo-hoo (almost)
The delivery wagon will be here today...
Hoping I can intercept the goods before the wife sees my goody box.
:excited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99