I have a question that I want to get feedback from by a community of like minded people. I still have unlimited data with Verizon that i am struggling to let go of. It's not that i am a crazy power user who uses a ton of data every month, but my usage does vary. One month ill use as little as 1.5GB to 2. then the next month i am way in the 9-10. I know that i can just connect to Wifi and not worry, but that is the joy of unlimited. I don't have to worry. Why use Wifi when i can use Verizon's LTE at 40-50Mbps? That aside my struggle is my current phone (HTC Droid DNA) is on its last legs. It sucks because I have kept the phone in great shape and yet just recently my volume rocker stopped working and now my data cuts in and out. (Multiple hard/soft resets and on latest 4.4.2 kitkat no help, actually seems to get less signal with update) With the Nokia Lumia Icon being 99 on contract until May 12th, (and boy is that a beautiful phone!) is having a beautiful high end Lumia device worth cutting my ties with unlimited data? am i being silly or am i justified in wanting to keep it? what would you guys do?

TL;DR Is it worth getting rid of unlimited data for a new high end Lumia? Would you?
    05-03-2014 02:35 PM
    At least you have unlimited data back in the states, we don't have that here in Dubai.
    We have an unlimited plan for 999AED, which is roughly $270 per month, and there's a catch: the speed goes down when you consume 50MB of data... lame :|

And yes, if you have more data, you will consume more. I have a 1GB data plan and I'm perfectly happy with it. Would I pay a REASONABLE price for unlimited 4G? F*** yea.
    Should you buy the Icon? Definitely. It's an amazing device and you'll learn to adapt without unlimited data. Plus wifi should get you going.
    05-04-2014 12:02 AM
    You could always go to T-Mobile as they have truly unlimited data :) Plus their LTE network if you have it available in your area is the fastest of all carriers, the big issue thou is that coverage is no where near Verizon.... it isn't even close :(

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    05-04-2014 12:27 AM
    Why don't you just pay the full price of the phone, like $500, and keep unlimited? Best of both worlds?
    05-04-2014 12:40 AM
    I have 3 other lines with different contracts. I don't think i would be able to leave very easy and T Mobile does not get very good service where i live. I can't really afford to pay outright as we have a new baby on the way and my wife views my current phone as if it can still power on, i don't need a new phone haha. Thanks for answering guys i do appreciate the feedback :) The way i see it, it comes down to two options:

1/ Save up and buy my phones outright and keep my precious unlimited data. Even if i don;t need it, the fact that i don't have to ever worry about going over a limit or being stranded without data, is a nice comfort/ luxury to have.
    2/ Bite the bullet and get the 2 GB plan and set it up to where i will just get cut off once i get to 2 GB and not worry about overage charges. I can upgrade at a subsidized price every two years and stay current on new phones and not have to pay so much outright because i plan on staying with Verizon anyway.

I think it's just the principle that gets me the most. Feels like a knife in the back from Verizon and the fact that i am one of the few that still have unlimited data and i could burn through 50GB a month and they can't touch me, is a nice feeling to have :)
    05-04-2014 02:54 PM
    If it wasn't for the bad service T-Mobile pays up to $650 per line or something like that. You just have to show them your final bill with the ETF on it and they will either credit your account or give you a check. Not sure exactly how it works.

TMobile has made it very easy to switch with paying ETFs

I personally get great service with up to 40MBPS on LTE full bars, and 10-20 with only 1-2 bars. I can turn off LTE and I get HSPA+ and I have better service with about 20MBPS :)

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    05-04-2014 02:56 PM
    Very tempting! I'll have to go to an actual TMO store rather than just looking at online maps. Thanks!
    05-04-2014 03:34 PM