Is Khmer script eccentic?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm Khmer/Cambodian and I got a Khmer-English dictionary from my dad, published back in 1977 (it's actually during the genocide era)! In the preface page, there is this sentence reads:
The compilers hope that the sometimes eccentric looking Khmer letters will not cause too much discomfort to users of the dictionary.
I know Khmer is understudied (this Wikipedia article is great though), and I wanna get the opinions from outsiders.
Office Lens_20140506_145619_processed.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah I remember this from last year in History class. I had to present and do a variety of stuff on the Cambodian Genocide.

Khmer script is definitely not something I normally expect since romanji all the way, but it looks like it says certain characters weren't supported by the printer or something so they wrote in the characters which obviously won't be as uniform. I think that's what its saying, not that Khmer as a whole is odd.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
But Windows 8 shows the script properly, and has two keyboard layouts. Yeah writing is very odd, vowels can go anywhere, consonants have their own subscript forms, and the alphabet is massive. I'm too young to know anything about the genocide though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire