The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-24-2014 04:35 PM
40 12
tools
    Tin foil hat much? I don't think they do routine scans, that's excessive.
    And if you live in the US then your info is being accessed whether you like it or not.
    Microsoft's much maligned "Scroogled" as campaign is completely founded in truth. It is a will-known and verifiable fact that Google scans your emails and other communication for info for their targeted ad systems. Don't believe me? Start talking about a product in your personal correspondence and you'll start seeing it crop up in the Google ads.
    05-24-2014 11:28 AM
    Microsoft's much maligned "Scroogled" as campaign is completely founded in truth. It is a will-known and verifiable fact that Google scans your emails and other communication for info for their targeted ad systems. Don't believe me? Start talking about a product in your personal correspondence and you'll start seeing it crop up in the Google ads.
    Stop this tinfoil fear mongering.
    Source:http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/fil...nfographic.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails 1400952643400.jpg  
    05-24-2014 12:30 PM
    Anyways, I am not on WP now, but I would like to try it in the future. Once it gets some Google Services I'll be good, but for now, I rely on Google Services too much to move to WP. I definitely want to grab a 525 or some other low cost WP to play with to get a feel for the OS before the summer is out.
    05-24-2014 12:44 PM
    Ive just always been a fan of Microsoft products and I like the direction they're moving in with the whole one ecosystem thing. I like the integration I get between my laptop and phone. Since I have a Windows PC, I feel like I get tighter integration than I would have with an iPhone.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    05-24-2014 12:50 PM
    The best part for me is the elegant UX design which gives a very simple and sensible way to do things. I find I simply prefer things uncluttered. Even with non-electronic things, I find myself attracted to good elegant design.

WP is the best for business use -email, onenote, office applications...

I actually prefer a "closed" system like WP at the expense of a few features if it means it is more secure. The limitations posed by the sandboxed app design is acceptable to me if it means I don't have to worry about security. It will be a sad day if I would have to install an anti virus app on WP.
    05-24-2014 01:20 PM
    I still like the elegance of the UI. I still like the music app, as much as this cycle of remaking the music app and downgraded it each time is ******* me the **** off. Lets hope that MSFT gets it right.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 05-24-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    wpn00b likes this.
    05-24-2014 01:27 PM
    Everything. I've been a MS service user since I was thirteen. I play on Xbox Live, love Windows, a regular Skype user, love using Bing, and the Xbox Music Pass means I never have to screw with torrents again. Having Xbox games on my phone means a lot since I'm an achievement hunter, and that the UX is clean, beautiful, fast, with just the right amount of customization, means I'll never leave WP as long as its supported.
    wpn00b likes this.
    05-24-2014 01:30 PM
    I use a 920 and I like the interface. It's simple and smooth. Also the OS is faster, my wife's Samsung SIII now is slow like a snail. But my 920 remains fast. Also MS is less invasive of your privacy, nothing as Google style... Yet.
    Apps for WP are quite limited, but I have the ones I need, so it's enough for me, at this moment.

Will I repeat with WP after my 920? I don't know, because battery management in WP seems not good for me by now, and personalization is quite poor. MS is improving the os in this direction, so we'll see.

Hardware (Nokia) was also one of the main reason I am using now a WP, but now that Nokia is totally ms company, I don't now if they will continue following the same philosophy of reliability we saw in the past...

Meanwhile, I still enjoying my Lumia. 👍

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
    JamesPTao likes this.
    05-24-2014 02:11 PM
    What's genuinely keeping you on WP
    I'll align with others who enjoy the simplicity of the homescreen.
    Originally I was taken by how the screen real estate was used so effectively.
    Also I'm a camera buff so this being a main draw of the WP keeps me engaged.

My fear however is the want for change expressed by users who insist on remolding this OS into something it is not meant to be.

If I had never read anything about root features, notifications, email attaching, updates, app-gap...on and on I'd still be living in bliss on windows.
    To say the truth I was very happy with Amber on my first 521.
    "Still be there if I wasn't here."
    wpn00b and Himanshu Chowdhary like this.
    05-24-2014 02:42 PM
    I'll align with others who enjoy the simplicity of the homescreen.
    Originally I was taken by how the screen real estate was used so effectively.
    Also I'm a camera buff so this being a main draw of the WP keeps me engaged.

My fear however is the want for change expressed by users who insist on remolding this OS into something it is not meant to be.

If I had never read anything about root features, notifications, email attaching, updates, app-gap...on and on I'd still be living in bliss on windows.
    To say the truth I was very happy with Amber on my first 521.
    "Still be there if I wasn't here."
    What he said.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-24-2014 02:51 PM
    Stop this tinfoil fear mongering.
    If you want to trust Google, that's your choice. Personally, I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance and denial going on in the android camp: Having committed to the Google ecosystem, you have no evidence that Google are trustworthy, so you guys resort to name calling when I state my active distrust and provide evidence. I understand that.

I understand that you don't want to log into your Google account and look at your movements all mapped out for you. Sorry I lie, the mapping isn't for you it's of you. You can of course delete the track, but don't worry Google won't be hurt because they have the metadata.

I'm also used to people implying - and saying - I'm paranoid. Like when I insist that people use unique and complex passwords for their various online accounts. After all it's not like eBay or Adobe would get hacked, is it? It's not like Apple would let slip the GOTO FAIL or all that unaudited open source software would lead to HEARTBLEED, would it?

Back in the real world, Google never established themselves as trustworthy, so were always behind Microsoft, who proved themselves by serving the demanding enterprise market for decades. So I don't have to prove Google are untrustworthy or have done anything criminal or even underhand. They simply never earned the trust you guys have thrown at them.

Nevertheless, I have provided links to articles by The Guardian and Forbes which do substantiate my opinions, while all you have done is whine about tinfoil.

Instead, why don't you tell me why I should trust Google? Where is the evidence Android is safe for people to use without having to take precautions or transferring the blame to hapless users?

Try a constructive approach for a change.
    Neo Nuke and wpn00b like this.
    05-24-2014 03:18 PM
    I don't believe in google as this dark entity. But you are right they scan and catalog everything you do. Not to spy on you for the sake of it but to #1 tailer there products to you and #2 too better target advertising and raise money through their services (#2 more than 1). That has always been their thing. I agree their os is buggy, sloppy, and has tons of malware. They have expanded functionality on their phones but the code is sloppy so it takes a faster processer to run half as well as WP. I prefer WP. Love the interface, am ok with slower expanded functions (would rather they do it right than sloppy). I have much more faith I them security wise and since their business plan revolves around business/professional end they will always be more secure. And since their financial plan does t revolve around selling advertising they don't have the bias to collect more than they need on you. And they are the only one that fought (successfully) Us information requests. The others eventually did but only after negative press came out and it became a Liability. I am dedicated to windows and WP and will remain that way!
    05-24-2014 03:33 PM
    If you want to trust Google, that's your choice. Personally, I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance and denial going on in the android camp: Having committed to the Google ecosystem, you have no evidence that Google are trustworthy, so you guys resort to name calling when I state my active distrust and provide evidence. I understand that.

I understand that you don't want to log into your Google account and look at your movements all mapped out for you. Sorry I lie, the mapping isn't for you it's of you. You can of course delete the track, but don't worry Google won't be hurt because they have the metadata.

I'm also used to people implying - and saying - I'm paranoid. Like when I insist that people use unique and complex passwords for their various online accounts. After all it's not like eBay or Adobe would get hacked, is it? It's not like Apple would let slip the GOTO FAIL or all that unaudited open source software would lead to HEARTBLEED, would it?

Back in the real world, Google never established themselves as trustworthy, so were always behind Microsoft, who proved themselves by serving the demanding enterprise market for decades. So I don't have to prove Google are untrustworthy or have done anything criminal or even underhand. They simply never earned the trust you guys have thrown at them.

Nevertheless, I have provided links to articles by The Guardian and Forbes which do substantiate my opinions, while all you have done is whine about tinfoil.

Instead, why don't you tell me why I should trust Google? Where is the evidence Android is safe for people to use without having to take precautions or transferring the blame to hapless users?

Try a constructive approach for a change.
    I did. No one forces Android users to do anything. Least of all Google. I use Google services because it's very easy to use them. Google uses whatever data I give them VOLUNTARILY and gives targeted ads.

I could give Google a completely dummy account name and everything. And being on Android does not mean I am stuck on Google I could choose to use Amazon app store and amazon for all my content on my Android devices and uninstall or disable all the Google stuff no problem.

What's always funny to me is that you think you can tell me something I don't already know about the platform I choose to use. Google is pretty trustworthy, and what's so crazy no matter how "scary" they seem why doesn't anyone read their TOS? Or matter of fact read Microsoft's TOS. I rather trust Google who is at least transparent about everything.

Ads are so scary nowadays? That's ridiculous. At that they are targeted ads, meaning they are actually relevant to what you actively use the internet for. Googled Bacon? Look there's an ad telling you how you can get 25% off Bacon at the grocery store. That's scary? Give me a break.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    colinkiama likes this.
    05-24-2014 03:33 PM
    Also with Apple products as I experienced, purchased media comes as some stupid encrypted format but with windows, it's MP3.
    You do realize that Apple dropped DRM in 2009 and iTunes Store has delivered standard AAC (.m4a) files ever since? That was 5 years ago. Pretty much every device I've had in the last 8 years (including cheapo car stereos) has been able to play them similarly as MP3 files.
    05-24-2014 04:06 PM
    This thread has run it's course
    MSFTisMIA and wpn00b like this.
    05-24-2014 04:35 PM
40 12