What's genuinely keeping you on WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of everything MS related. But for the first time, I don't feel comfortable owning a device running an OS made by them. I had the HTC Titan which was a great phone for it's time and just recently switched to the L1520 for WP8.1. After all the hype and after a month, WP8.1 doesn't seem so great anymore. Compared to the competition, only Cortana was done better(which is still arguable). Every other thing seems worst

The notification center is not as arranged (1.no demarcating lines. 2.If you get 20 messages from one app, all 20 line themselves up. This makes it really clustered)or as "intelligent" (It doesn't even sync with the live tiles. Furthermore, if someone sends me 5 messages from one app and I click on one, the remaining 4 are still present on the notification center)

The action center is limited to 4 quick settings(5 on the 1520 though). Even BB10 did this better.

There is no gesture to bring the list of apps I use the most without heading to the start screen(Like the action center but for apps). MS is trying to get into the enterprise market with WP and it's sad that this wasn't thought of or green lit by anyone on the team. This would have been great for marketing. Informing business users that they can save all the important apps they use for their work and with a quick swipe, they can access them anytime. Nothing of that nature!

I'm not big on apps but that's also a big issue on WP. The "important" apps that find their way to WP are always of lower quality than that on the competition.

Every time I see the #timetoswitch ad, I never see MS give a good reason why except for "camera this, camera that" or "the most personal phone"(yet without Nokia and Samsung app folder apps, WP can't create simple folders!).

With the Moto E coming up against L630(worst spec wise, higher price and the temporary absence of Whatsapp), I don't think WP would cross the 3% mark anytime soon

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why I like WP, I just do. I started on a blackberry, went to Windows mobile then to Android. Tried the titan 2, and the 920. But now I have the 1520. O don't miss any apps, and never used WhatsApp. But my 1520 is running smooth, a few hiccups here and there, but most will smooth out by the official release. I do not see myself going back to Android. My phone does what I want, when I want it to

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
What's keeping me in WP? I believe in Microsoft and in Nokia. I also love how fast the OS is evolving compared to iOS and Android. It's true, both competitors have fully mature platforms now but Microsoft is looking to be the one with the fully integrated ecosystem first. And for the first time it seems like they really know what they are doing.

You don't really now anything about Apple's or Google's long term plans. Knowing what bright future lies ahead of Microsoft is surely a reassuring thought.

Also, as it has been said time and again, the WP OS just flies, regardless of the device.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of everything MS related. But for the first time, I don't feel comfortable owning a device running an OS made by them. I had the HTC Titan which was a great phone for it's time and just recently switched to the L1520 for WP8.1. After all the hype and after a month, WP8.1 doesn't seem so great anymore. Compared to the competition, only Cortana was done better(which is still arguable). Every other thing seems worst

The notification center is not as arranged (1.no demarcating lines. 2.If you get 20 messages from one app, all 20 line themselves up. This makes it really clustered)or as "intelligent" (It doesn't even sync with the live tiles. Furthermore, if someone sends me 5 messages from one app and I click on one, the remaining 4 are still present on the notification center)

The action center is limited to 4 quick settings(5 on the 1520 though). Even BB10 did this better.

There is no gesture to bring the list of apps I use the most without heading to the start screen(Like the action center but for apps). MS is trying to get into the enterprise market with WP and it's sad that this wasn't thought of or green lit by anyone on the team. This would have been great for marketing. Informing business users that they can save all the important apps they use for their work and with a quick swipe, they can access them anytime. Nothing of that nature!

I'm not big on apps but that's also a big issue on WP. The "important" apps that find their way to WP are always of lower quality than that on the competition.

Every time I see the #timetoswitch ad, I never see MS give a good reason why except for "camera this, camera that" or "the most personal phone"(yet without Nokia and Samsung app folder apps, WP can't create simple folders!).

With the Moto E coming up against L630(worst spec wise, higher price and the temporary absence of Whatsapp), I don't think WP would cross the 3% mark anytime soon

I don't have all of these complaints but i do agree Windows phone OS needs some serious polishing. Personally I think it's the best OS at its core but it lacks the polishing the crappier os's have that keep them going.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant design of OS. It's fresh compared to ios, the phones are good quality and sturdy. The only alternatives are Android and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and iOS which I had for a number of years and it became old and dated and boring. WP8 or even 9 is the future.

Also with Apple products as I experienced, purchased media comes as some stupid encrypted format but with windows, it's MP3. Android is just hackers heaven like Linux and a load of open source, buggy, laggy, vulnerable crap. In my eyes there's no alternative to windows phone because I've tried them all. Ive even dabbled with Blackberry and it's not even worth a mention.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
What's keeping me with windows phone?
I never had an Android or IOS and I never wanted to. I love the simplicity and uniqueness that WP has. OneDrive and Office integration are of course one of the things that are making WP better than competitors. I only have one complaint in WP and it is Skype. That app needs to be updated ASAP!

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ecosystem investment, WP Rooms, quality hardware, XBL games, app development, and familiarity. Well as an individual it makes sense to stick with one platform. Already have an Xbox One, Windows Laptop and HTPC, why not pair it all up with a WP. But I ain't afraid to try out other products, the only thing that's holding me back is monnneeeehhh. I'd try out an Apple product, but even I can't afford a pair of Apple Earpods.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
NEGATIVE:

I strongly dislike Google. They are invasive of personal privacy and in Android have created the Windows of the 2010s: an OS which is a mess, comes with ghastly crapware and is a security disaster. What is the point of having an 'open' system where the only safe place to buy apps is Google Play?

I dislike Apple for the lack of choice, their patrician attitude and the way they always try to tie you in to their services.

POSITIVE:

After three years plus, I have never enjoyed such a stable and reliable OS.
This device does what I want without necessarily having to resort to apps; for instance, run my shift rotas.
So much useful information and documentation synchronises between WP8 and W8.
The exemplary support we WP users have received from Microsoft: Less that a month after the development preview was released, an update was made addressing our issues with it.
Malware is unknown on Windows Phone.
Microsoft is trustworthy company because most of its customers are businesses who require their data is kept securely.
The Modern UI is a fresh and intelligent approach to a mobile OS, replacing boring icons with lively tiles which present information to you quickly.
The ability to create, edit or review documents across platforms.
Whether you run a 520 or a 1520, you get a consistent and useful device.

MY TURN:

Why are you Android users so wedded to an ecosystem run by a company who routinely scans your personal communications and monitors your location? Why do you continue to insist Android is the best when only it's very best models perform adequately and even they suffer stutters and lags. And why oh why do you people continue to come over to WP Central and ask such monumentally stupid questions?

I've never felt the need to post on Android Central and ridicule Galaxy owners about how little of the internal memory they paid for is available to them, just like I never felt the need to gloat on iMore about GOTO FAIL.

If you don't like Windows Phone, then buy an android with my blessing. No one is going to force you to stay when your chief talent appears to be complaint; but don't try to imply I'm defying logic by sticking with the system which meets my needs. Okay?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
NEGATIVE:

I strongly dislike Google. They are invasive of personal privacy and in Android have created the Windows of the 2010s: an OS which is a mess, comes with ghastly crapware and is a security disaster. What is the point of having an 'open' system where the only safe place to buy apps is Google Play?

I dislike Apple for the lack of choice, their patrician attitude and the way they always try to tie you in to their services.

POSITIVE:

This device does what I want without necessarily having to resort to apps; for instance, run my shift rotas.
The exemplary support we WP users have received from Microsoft: Less that a month after the development preview was released, an update was made addressing our issues with it.
Microsoft is trustworthy company because most of its customers are businesses who require their data is kept securely.
The Modern UI is a fresh and intelligent approach to a mobile OS, replacing boring icons with lively tiles which present information to you quickly.

MY TURN:

Why are you Android users so wedded to an ecosystem run by a company who routinely scans your personal communications and monitors your location? Why do you continue to insist Android is the best when only it's very best models perform adequately and even they suffer stutters and lags. And why oh why do you people continue to come over to WP Central and ask such monumentally stupid questions?

I've never felt the need to post on Android Central and ridicule Galaxy owners about how little of the internal memory they paid for is available to them, just like I never felt the need to gloat on iMore about GOTO FAIL.

If you don't like Windows Phone, then buy an android with my blessing. No one is going to force you to stay when your chief talent appears to be complaint; but don't try to imply I'm defying logic by sticking with the system which meets my needs. Okay?

Tin foil hat much? I don't think they do routine scans, that's excessive.
And if you live in the US then your info is being accessed whether you like it or not.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The OS itself. I admit I'm not crazy about the new app-centric focus in the social networking aspect of the people hub. I prefer the built-in approach of 8.0 and previous. What I would like to see is a return to the old streamlined philosophy of people-first, rather than app-first like Android and IOS. If I wanted that I would be using the competition. Though I still prefer the approach and clean UI of WP. I will never switch unless WP gets abandoned, and even then I'll hold out until my last WP device gives up the ghost. 👻

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
NEGATIVE:

POSITIVE:

MY TURN:

Android user? Did you even read my post? I've been an avid user of WP since the HTC Titan came out. What the hell are you talking about. I clearly stated I'm a MS fan BUT my bias towards WP is waning. I used the Note3 for a week and found I missed all this.

"Don't try to imply I'm defying logic by..." This is just a load of bull right here. Did I in anyway insult any WP user? Did I call people that use WP idiots(cause that's what your statement is implying). I asked a simple question "What is genuinely keeping you on WP". I asked 'cause I'm looking for reasons to make me love WP again. You give your reason, I analyze it, you move on. That has been what has been going on till you came along -_-.
A common trend amongst most WP users; they always go on the defensive and go full out assault on anyone who doesn't praise WP. WP still needs a lot of improvements. I remember when most users were saying they don't need a notification center. Yet almost everyone is making use of it. When they said a voice assistant is useless, yet people are bragging about Cortana. Bottomline, either you contribute constructively(by simply giving your reason) or you take a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky