02-12-2015 03:29 PM
27 12
tools
    Could do this I guess...
    We have the triple (ripoff) play so VOIP is provided thru the Xfinity router.
    I notice the open connection is about half speed on mobile devices.

(If I do anything to damage the wife's Facebook connection I will surely be sent to the penalty box for an extended period)

I thought this was how it worked.
    Wasn't too clear on this tho...
    Just goto Comcast.com login to my account and there will be an option to disable the public hotspot
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-19-2014 06:06 PM
    Well, it has no impact on the host subscriber's bandwidth or data usage. It's a separate wifi network with a separate bandwidth. Not unlike how it's already shared amongst neighbors. However, there could be a minimal impact on electrical usage. Not sure if it's of any significance. The limit of 5 is probably to not impact resources on the modem.

Perhaps they could make it opt-in and market the service better. Only people that opt in can use the hotspots. The disadvantage is fewer hotspots making the service less attractive.

I'd like to see perhaps a credit added to the account or a free modem rental out of it. The article about the class action lawsuit claims it's close to $30/year for electricity to broadcast the additional network.

It's crowd sourcing. It builds a large, reliable, semi-public wifi network that might actually work compared to typical hotspots that are slow, congested and drop like crazy.
    02-12-2015 03:29 PM
27 12