Xfinity wants to open up your home wifi to the public!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
LOL....true plus I agree.
Now I know why Xfinity pumped the connection speeds for us at no extra cost.
:)

Evidently there is an option to disable other Xfinity subscribers from using/sharing.
Kind of an intriguing idea...I dunno why Xfinity doesn't just offer area wide for subscribers.
Sure would shrink the data use for mobile users.

Had this feeling for a while that Comcast has been looking for a way into the mobile device communications area.
Wi-fi is the key for them.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Their new routers have a cable user guest hotspot. you need to sign into it with your own xfinity account. From what I read about it, if you've got a 20mbps service, if someone is using 5mpbs, it just increases what the router is taking in, and not affecting YOUR 20mpbs.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This idea sounds good in theory but sounds like it could be a mess in its execution. plus i don't wanna share anything. Also their router didnt play nice with my phone so it got replaced with a modem with separate router.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welp...

Looks like this is happening here in our area starting next week.
We were notified by Xfinity a couple of days ago.

When I look at available Wi-Fi around our home there are numerous "HOME XXXX" Xfinity routers around us.
Hoping this will be a good thing and not turn into a boondoggle...

...fingers crossed...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Welp...

Looks like this is happening here in our area starting next week.
We were notified by Xfinity a couple of days ago.

When I look at available Wi-Fi around our home there are numerous "HOME XXXX" Xfinity routers around us.
Hoping this will be a good thing and not turn into a boondoggle...

...fingers crossed...

I hope that doesn't slow down everyone's network due to congestion.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Their new routers have a cable user guest hotspot. you need to sign into it with your own xfinity account. From what I read about it, if you've got a 20mbps service, if someone is using 5mpbs, it just increases what the router is taking in, and not affecting YOUR 20mpbs.

But that could still cause issues with all the additional network traffic in a neighbourhood.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The letter we received from Xfinity assured (grain of salt) subscribers internet service in-home won't be affected.
I'm wondering what the motivation is.
Reading thru the support forums on Xfinity there's a lot of complaining about service fee hikes as much as $49.00 a month!
Ours just jumped to $181.00 from $169.00, that was because the rip-off triple-play bundle deal expired.

I called 'em and used the "old retired-fixed income we need to drop features" scheme to get back down to $169.00.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
How would it be convenient to you if neighbors are able to use the guest account on your network?

Hmmm...
That would be an impact on us in that case as far as bandwidth.

My understanding so far is that we're providing a connection solely to Xfinity subscribers via a second\separate router built in.

I was wondering also if doing this will force Xfinity to increase monthly limits.
When I'm on someone else's router does it count against my data on the network?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...
That would be an impact on us in that case as far as bandwidth.

My understanding so far is that we're providing a connection solely to Xfinity subscribers via a second\separate router built in.

I was wondering also if doing this will force Xfinity to increase monthly limits.
When I'm on someone else's router does it count against my data on the network?
Those are all good questions.

I was under the impression that anyone could use the WiFi even if he/she was not a Comcast subscriber.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
All the open "xfinitywifi" connections around us required me to use my original account and password to access.
Hope no one steals my complex password.

Best to change it again maybe...
The wife will get mad if I do it now she's in the middle of her holiday Zyngafest...lol

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Turn the wifi off and use a different wifi router. If you can't turn the wifi off, supply your own cable modem. Go back to an AT&T DSL.

I don't have Comcast. I have a small cable company.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is a lot of people don't have many options for ISPs where they live.

I can only get Time-Warner or AT&T. The Time-Warner plan I have is 50/5 Mbps. The fastest I could get with AT&T is 3 Mbps. :unhappy:

My mother lives less than 10 miles from where I live. She has WOW. If she didn't like them, she could also get Time-Warner, AT&T, or Cox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)