Getting rid of the negative Windows/MS stigma

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but whenever people ask about my yellow 1020 when I shoot photos, or about my SP2 when I'm using the pen in class, they really seem to like the devices right up until I say they run windows. There's some kind of negative stigma around any and all Windows devices nowadays, and I'm putting this down to Windows 8, which arguably was a stark contrast to previous versions of Windows - personally I didn't like it either until I bought my Pro 2, spent a few days getting to learn the device/OS and now I find actually quicker to do things on it than in Windows 7. I jumped from Apple to MS, and although I (admittedly) spent quite a few times in shops trying to get my head around display models beforehand, I picked it up quite quickly too.

My problem is that people don't like the 'new' Windows because it's changed a lot, and people probably haven't taken the 5-15 minutes to go through the tutorials or helpful tips that MS offer but never make mandatory. If you were to plot a graph of ease of use against functionality, iOS would obviously have very good ease of use but not so much functionality. Android would be the opposite. WP.... would probably start off as more difficult to pick up but still offers more features than iOS. So basically what I'm trying to ask is, why do people lament Windows for being so hard to use, looking upon it negatively when most people can't even use most of the features on their Android phones?

I reckon MS should make tutorials across Windows devices mandatory whenever you first set up a device (i.e. can't skip), and then track ownage of different devices through your MS account (e.g. if you own a WP and you just bought a Surface, change the tutorial to explain the similarities). This might sound a little stupid, but sometimes people forget how to do the most basic of things - sometimes they didn't even know how to do something so basic until they are shown. For beginners, at least, walking through the basic idea of a Start screen and an all apps list, showing off a few system-wide characteristics/how they work (three dot menu, tap and hold, live tiles etc.) will help lessen the level of confusion they initially face when they finish setting up the device and are greeted with the OS. Similarly, for people who have somewhat used Windows before, it will help to reinforce the basics so they don't forget. Lastly, tracking ownership of different windows devices can help the users' understanding of MS' vision of a uniform UI - for example the tutorial might say (if you own a Lumia and just bought a tablet): "The start screen in Windows 8.1 is almost the same as on your phone - you can pin the things that matter to you onto Start, and swipe down to get to the app list. Pressing and holding on tiles will also bring up a menu, just like on Windows Phone"

I'm just wondering what people think MS can do to fix this 'negative stigma' around Windows (now that I've had my rant :p) - what can MS do to make Windows more appealing to the consumer again?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question.

I really do not know anyone who says Windows is hard to use.

Most people I know just do not even know that Windows Phones are available. They see Windows as being something for desktop PCs only.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
<snip>I reckon MS should make tutorials across Windows devices mandatory whenever you first set up a device (i.e. can't skip), and then track ownage of different devices through your MS account (e.g. if you own a WP and you just bought a Surface, change the tutorial to explain the similarities). This might sound a little stupid, but sometimes people forget how to do the most basic of things - sometimes they didn't even know how to do something so basic until they are shown.<snip>

The third thing I did after setting up and being amazed by the WP was to accidentally tap on the help+tips tile on my shiny new 521.
If memory serves correctly I clutched the phone for quite a while reading and watching the videos (that played flawlessly.)
I learned so much in that short time spent I was a pro in my own mind lol ...
(then I found WPC and realized I was no pro)

Not trashing here, but with my first Android device I was clueless for a few days maybe a week until finding forum areas like AC or XDA
Once I found the features I was camping happily.
I just found it a little surprising that as far as I remember Android expected me to search out help vs. the WP giving me a road in right from the start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar