Third party apps. Why bother?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
We have seen a round of assault from official apps developers with in the last two weeks here at the Windows Phone store. So why are third party apps dev's even bothering deploying third party apps into the Windows Phone store?

Is it the end of third party apps on Windows Phone. And what do you prefer? Third party apps or official?

For me official apps are best.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think 3rd party and official apps can coexist. There are still a lot of 3rd party apps for iOS/Android, for example Twitter apps, other than official Twitter.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I think 3rd party and official apps can coexist. There are still a lot of 3rd party apps for iOS/Android, for example Twitter apps, other than official Twitter.

True indeed. Third Party apps are great. But many not all interfere with copy right infringement. So why bother?

Windows Phone has a platform. And a programming language now.

Why copy the work on other platforms?

Dev's on this platform have to take the programming language seriously and begin to innovate with their apps.

What are we waiting for?

There is nothing better than authentic.

Let Disney make Disney apps, Let your favorite tv show make their apps. Let Google make their apps.

But new dev's here on Windows phone be authentic make your own app and trade marks.

It is time for other platforms to start to copy Windows Phone apps. Windows Phone is ready for this.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes the official app makers don't provide official app or the support they show on other platforms hence we need those third party app to fill the gap

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes the official app makers don't provide official app or the support they show on other platforms hence we need those third party app to fill the gap

Oh well that is their lost. Rip rip....

We don't need third part app dev's anymore. Third party apps dev's are mega talented.

Why should these mega talented dev's waste their time, energy and talent creating another Google app? Or creating another app that exist on other platforms?

Burn that mega energy of talent of code on a new product, on a new innovation, on a new idea for Windows Phone.

The app gap will close with official apps. Not by third party apps,,,,

Last edited:

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Speak for yourself, many official apps have come about because 3rd party ones did so well, you've just goto look at the work Rudi has done with 3rd party apps and how he now works with the official ones. If fact this whole post looks more like an exercise for trolling & not a real forum question.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Speak for yourself, many official apps have come about because 3rd party ones did so well, you've just goto look at the work Rudi has done with 3rd party apps and how he now works with the official ones. If fact this whole post looks more like an exercise for trolling & not a real forum question.

Rudy is good.

But Rudy would be excellent if he had an app concept that he created.

I love Rudy and respect Rudy for his work. In fact i think he is an excellent developer that is burning his excellent talent and energy all in the wrong places., And I believe that because of this Rudy falls short of gold.

Trolling? haha. Because I say to stop copyright infringement and innovate?

elaborate?

I believe Windows is in a new phase now. Forget market shares. MSFT is doing just fine.

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Like the title states. Third party apps. Why bother? Innovate Windows Phones dev's.

Show the World your work. No more third party apps.

Please....

Lets go. Programming language and programming design language is there.,,

Stop comparing platforms.....,,

And create....,

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Like the title states. Third party apps? Why bother.

Innovate Windows Phones dev's.

Show the World your work. No more third party apps.

Please....

Lets go. Programming language and programming design language is there.,,

Stop comparing platforms.....,,

So with regards to Google that actively block Microsoft from making apps for them and won't release them either, who do we rely on? 3rd party devs. Would you rather we have no access to Google services and therefore have to leave the platform as work (yes my workplace uses Google Docs) can't be accessed without these third party apps? I don't think that's the right approach to take. I think a mix of third party apps (or first party if the companies/developers wish to really commit to Windows Phone) and new exciting apps are what we need.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Third party apps used when there is no official app available show that there is demand for such an app, and thus can motivate the production of official apps.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So with regards to Google that actively block Microsoft from making apps for them and won't release them either, who do we rely on? 3rd party devs. Would you rather we have no access to Google services and therefore have to leave the platform as work (yes my workplace uses Google Docs) can't be accessed without these third party apps? I don't think that's the right approach to take. I think a mix of third party apps (or first party if the companies/developers wish to really commit to Windows Phone) and new exciting apps are what we need.

Yes no Google. Since I left iOS.

But I will welcome Google when it lands on Windows Phones.

Name an excellent Google third party app with no frustration on WP?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Third party apps used when there is no official app available show that there is demand for such an app, and thus can motivate the production of official apps.

Not necessarily. Tinder wants nothing with WP.

So why you want tinder?

Why give these sites extra usage, ratings, exposure through API's when they don't want nothing to do with Windows phones?

Put it this way. Tinder saids: We don't care about these people, But their third party apps dev will created an app for us. And then shut it down when popular. Lol.

Lol, lol

F that, No more third party apps please.

Windows Phone devs. Be Authentic. Innovate surpass iOS and Droids developers,

Or don't develop at all for real.

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily. Tinder wants nothing with WP.

So why you want tinder?

Why give these sites extra usage, ratings, exposure through API's when they don't want nothing to do with Windows phones?

Put it this way. Tinder saids: We don't care about these people, But their third party apps dev will created an app for us. And then shut it down when popular. Lol.

Lol, lol

F that, No more third party apps please.

Windows Phone devs. Be Authentic. Innovate surpass iOS and Droids developers,

Or don't develop at all for real.

Because without these third party apps there's no way we can persuade most people to join. "Oh there's no YouTube app, well then I'm not getting a Windows Phone" the very fact is that without these third party apps for core things like Google services, there is no chance of really increasing market share. Because as you said before, they would just copy it on Android and iOS. And they would also have the core services like Google services. And therefore Windows Phone stays in the rut it was in before.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes prefer 3rd party apps such as 6tag ... The official instagram app sucks big time!!!

Again. Small time dev's are highly appreciated. But only when their work is consider a breakthrough.

6tag is not a breakthrough. But instead a replica of some else hard earned time work and effort.

I don't support it, :).

What I am saying. And please hear me out everyone. To clarify things. Is that I believe Rudy and not only Rudy but all third party apps dev's on the Windows phone platform are very talented and skilled developers.

So why are this dev's wasting their talents and skills on third party apps?

And what are we trying to create? Another Android or iOS platform. Lol

For that ill stick to buying Androids and Apple phones.

But Windows Phone has to be unique. And different from the bunch.

Why don't this dev's innovate and focus on creating a breakthrough for Windows phone? Rather than creating apps that exist on other platforms.

Would that be best for the platform?

Perhaps their innovated apps become great Windows Phones exclusives.

Thus catapulting the OS over the competition. :)

Last edited:

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Rudy is good.

But Rudy would be excellent if he had an app concept that he created.

Rudy may not have created the RSS Reader concept, but he has hit it out of the park with Fuse.

There are a lot of utilities for which there is no "official" app. There are lots of devs who offer up simple apps. The true genius and challenge in that is demonstrated when devs do it better than anyone else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss