Do you ever take a break?

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I am constantly staying on top of news now that I became fully invested in knowing what's coming next. The WPCentral app and website are awesome for all the latest app updates, phone rumors, and OS update schedules. I'm always checking the app, and I'm a frequent visitor and contributor in the forums. And I'm not just a Windows Phone news junkie. I'm a cellphone news junkie and I supplement that appetite with sites like Phone Arena, Pocketnow, and The Verge.

But there were simpler times in my life when I was the "general/normal" consumer who most of the time had no clue what was going on behind the scenes in the mobile world. I used to be the last to know when instead of knowing an update was on the horizon I would get a notification saying one was available and think to myself "I wonder what this is."

It's funny now to think that I used to be that guy. As much as I love the rumors, the speculations, the podcast talks, and the forums I'm taking a break for a while from the constant chatter that is the mobile world. I mean, I spend a lot of time reading articles and watching videos and reading consumer thoughts/rants. Time I know I need to be used doing more productive things. So I have decided to take a break from it all starting tomorrow until September 1st(I'll be off so I can play catchup that day)

So that means I will be unpinning my beloved WPCentral app from my start screen and disable toast notifications in the settings. I won't be submitting my usual forum entries("pictures taken with your Lumia 920" and "loving the pro shot camera app"). I won't follow the links from Daniel's or WPCentral's Twitter pages. I will not visit any of the aforementioned news sites.

I'm really waiting on an official announcement to some pretty exciting devices from Microsoft/Nokia and I don't want to spend that waiting time not being productive because I'm constantly glued to my phone.(this is me 70% of the day) So I'll hopefully do more reading, get back into my art work, start hitting the gym consistently, and spend more time building my faith/relationship with God during this time away. But for the rest of today I'll be doing my usual going back and forth between sites keeping an ear out for the Cyan update release schedule, the next update to the OS, hopefully some reliable news about at least an announcement event, and keeping an eye out for the latest in Android and iOS devices/features as well.

Anyway I said all that to ask: Are you a news junkie like me and do you take breaks?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I try to take breaks and get away from it all, but keeping up to date has, in some ways, become ingrained into my daily routine. To the point where I feel out of date after a mere hours after the last time I checked up. This is something I definitely want to work on, but this is just something that appears to come with the territory of being somewhat of a tech enthusiast.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I take breaks in the sense that I check for news daily and only once daily. I don't do notifications for the WPC app on my phone. I'm really on the forums the most posting on a few select threads and even those I've taken breaks from periodically. There are time though whenever I get busy I will skim and really read later.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha I'm not the only one. But I think I'm going to start doing a big catch up day once every two months, unless I know something huge is about to be announced, to keep things fresh but not over the top like I am now. I'll kind of make it my own personal date day where I can be alone without distractions and say "wow, that happened" or "I didn't really miss much this time." Still enjoying this last day of my normal routine though.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Well guys I'm back but with good reason. I just purchased a like new Lumia 1020 and had it unlocked for T-Mobile. Then I saw a tweet from EVLeaks about an end of life for the 1020 approaching in September so I came to the WPCentral site and app to see if I could find any information as to exactly what that meant. While searching I came across several articles that caught my attention. 1.(and this one nearly took my breath)Microsoft was cancelling the McLaren which for me as a T-Mobile customer seemed to be my only chance of getting a true, officially supported premium Nokia/Microsoft device(the L925 missed it by 16gb...). 2. The huge hon cuts that was taking place. 3. The continuing disappearance of XBox Live games. 4. The Lumia 1020 was indeed set to have an End of Life cycle this year. But after reading the article I was originally looking for (and in my opinion the 1020 will be supported until there is a hardware change like WP7 to WP8 so I'm not worried) I did go back and read some the other ones. Plus with reports that the official 8.1 update had begun rolling out and Nokia users were getting the Cyan update I decided it best to stick around at least until my 1020 gets the updates. But what I did notice during this short break was that I was not constantly checking my phone and it felt pretty good. I'll definitely stick with this pattern after I get the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05