What is the best uk non-smartphone phone?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My father is advanced in years and needs a phone. The man has had many Nokia 3310 phones, 5110 phones etc, but needs a new one. For some reason, Nokia stopped making these many years ago, probably long before Lance Armstrong could ride a bike.

His needs are simple, but particular. The phone needs to phone and text only. It needs to be loud as his hearing is fading, and that includes in call volume too. The phone does not need a huge touchscreen, physical keys are fine. It also needs the battery that is rated in days, not hours.

He is in the UK too, so can't be some exotic fella from afar. It also needs to be simple to use, and require no tech support from me.

I have considered Sonim, CAT and also JCB phones. Also a Samsung. In all honesty though, it does not have to be military grade, but must be relatively robust.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My father is advanced in years and needs a phone. The man has had many Nokia 3310 phones, 5110 phones etc, but needs a new one. For some reason, Nokia stopped making these many years ago, probably long before Lance Armstrong could ride a bike.

His needs are simple, but particular. The phone needs to phone and text only. It needs to be loud as his hearing is fading, and that includes in call volume too. The phone does not need a huge touchscreen, physical keys are fine. It also needs the battery that is rated in days, not hours.

He is in the UK too, so can't be some exotic fella from afar. It also needs to be simple to use, and require no tech support from me.

I have considered Sonim, CAT and also JCB phones. Also a Samsung. In all honesty though, it does not have to be military grade, but must be relatively robust.

I would go with one of the above mentioned Nokias... you can get then for peanuts on Ebay these days and serve the required functions. And they are two of the strongest for robustness. The 5210 though, was designed for slightly more rugged environments and has a dust/shock proof rubber case, so would fit the robustness criteria. And if he's had Nokias in the past it would make the most sense to carry on with them. Different manufacturers put stuff in so many different places.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I own a Nokia 100 I'd be happy to get rid of. If you're interested just PM me. I live in the UK.

It's boxed, still in plastic and has charger.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks people. I considered another old Nokia 3310/5110, but wanted to get him something a touch newer. I had looked at a Nokia 100, but I have a strong feelin that could be one he has tried recently but didn't get on with, due to him rather than the phone. But I much appreciate the offer. Seen a Cat b100 today, ?119. Thoughts?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Update. He has just been in to orange and got a cheap something. Lord knows what.... I have no doubt that they have lifted his leg, they must love it when he walks in. I shall refer back to your comments in 6 mths time when he starts moaning again. Thankyou for your time people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel