Cortana got the age of the Earth wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Last time I checked, 4540 million = 4.54 x 10^9. Cortana is correct, unless you are European and thus interpreting the comma in 4,540 as a decimal point. Cortana uses US numbering systems.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
No one treats the comma as a decimal point. I think the OP just misread it...

According to Wikipedia a heap of countries do:
SI style (French version), Albania, Belgium, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latin Europe, Lithuania, Netherlands (non-currency numbers, see below), Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden

There actually seem to be a bug in the WP emulator when emulating GPS in countries that use a comma, for example if I switch to French the emulator no longer reports any GPS events.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Moved to "Off Topic" since this has turned to a discussion about decimal points and\or what applies to which country\continent.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well that's true, the earth is who knows how many years old, The Flood threw off the carbon dating, so alot of numbers after like 5k years are soo wrong. xD

Regardless earth is probably dat old. As for the 6,000 years, that would be wrong to say for how old the earth is. xD IF you asked how long mankind has been on earth then yes roughly 6000 years would be a proper answer. :p

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A age of 6,000 years was calculated by people who counted up all of the begatting in the Bible - the actual date was October 23, 4004BC.

Homo Sapiens first appeared about 195,000 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6