Cortana got the age of the Earth wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Some people are too "smart" for their own good. Science, as it relates to the origins of the universe is nothing more than a belief system, much like the religions of the world. If you are too "smart" to comprehend that then so be it.
sent using tapatalk app

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Some people are too "smart" for their own good. Science, as it relates to the origins of the universe is nothing more than a belief system, much like the religions of the world. If you are too "smart" to comprehend that then so be it.
sent using tapatalk app

What exactly does 'too smart' mean? What's wrong with speculating about the origins of the universe and formulating a theory about it?

Understand this, science isn't an absolute. It's a flowing and changing thing. Being wrong is a part of the reality of science, so is argument. People seem to have difficulty understanding that.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What exactly does 'too smart' mean? What's wrong with speculating about the origins of the universe and formulating a theory about it?

Understand this, science isn't an absolute. It's a flowing and changing thing. Being wrong is a part of the reality of science, so is argument. People seem to have difficulty understanding that.

There is nothing wrong with speculation and theories, nothing at all, as long as the speculators and theorist remember that their speculations and theories are just that. When they start tossing them around as fact and somehow more legitimate than someone else's beliefs, that's when it become a problem.

I'm not anti-science. I just understand it for what it is and what is is capable of. Without it our world would much much different. Science will never answer some questions, it will never tell me where I came from. If you are willing to accept science's theory about where you came from then more power to you. That is your right.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

This is what I've been saying from the beginning if this conversation.

Since this is true, how did we end up disagreeing??

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with speculation and theories, nothing at all, as long as the speculators and theorist remember that their speculations and theories are just that. When they start tossing them around as fact and somehow more legitimate than someone else's beliefs, that's when it become a problem.

A scientific theory is not a guess. It's evidenced. For those of us who are not scientist it is 'fact' because the details they discuss are things that it doesn't change what we know.

Here's something to keep in mind when you think of a scientific theory, just so you understand better. What you're using, electronics, is many scientific theories working together. Same goes for electricity. You can see for yourself, science theories are very different than what you think the word implies. They are workable, usable things.

I'm not anti-science. I just understand it for what it is and what is is capable of. Without it our world would much much different. Science will never answer some questions, it will never tell me where I came from. If you are willing to accept science's theory about where you came from then more power to you. That is your right.

You may not be anti-science but you have a thinking that science shouldn't tread in places that makes you uncomfortable. That's just too bad. Science may not answer all questions but it does a good job at answering many and will continue to do so, whether you like the idea or not.

Where did you come from? Stars. You, me and every living thing on this planet and in the universe came from exploding stars. We are star dust. The line between the living and non is a thinner line than you would be comfortable with. We may never know exactly how life started but we'll have a good idea about how. Probably very soon. We have a good idea what happened after it started though. It's called evolution.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I understand that your statement admitted that science isn't always right. I agree with you. What more is there to understand?

What you disagree with is what we know to be fact. The fact that there are disagreements in science and that science can be wrong is not what we were discussing.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
A scientific theory is not a guess. It's evidenced. For those of us who are not scientist it is 'fact' because the details they discuss are things that it doesn't change what we know.

Here's something to keep in mind when you think of a scientific theory, just so you understand better. What you're using, electronics, is many scientific theories working together. Same goes for electricity. You can see for yourself, science theories are very different than what you think the word implies. They are workable, usable things.

You may not be anti-science but you have a thinking that science shouldn't tread in places that makes you uncomfortable. That's just too bad. Science may not answer all questions but it does a good job at answering many and will continue to do so, whether you like the idea or not.

Where did you come from? Stars. You, me and every living thing on this planet and in the universe came from exploding stars. We are star dust. The line between the living and non is a thinner line than you would be comfortable with. We may never know exactly how life started but we'll have a good idea about how. Probably very soon. We have a good idea what happened after it started though. It's called evolution.

So your scientific answer to where we came from is "we are stardust"?? That's awesome. Dude, you seriously just made my day!!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
N_LaRUE...you have my vote for P.M., president, King, Ruler of the Modern World, etc, etc. Thanks for standing up for logic and scientific literacy. We need more people like you here.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Science is always right. Science is proven right when scientists prove other scientists to be wrong.

Our understanding of science evolves in this way, the inherent wrongness of scientific endeavour and discovery is hence diminished, and the majority of scientific knowledge remains as the proven truth.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I love how this thread went downhill after my post. XD

And creationists are stupid people that believe that the earth came about 6-7 literal 24 hour days. When in fact each day is a period of time which could've spanned any number of years. xd

That fact doesn't go against science :p. As for time periods before 6k years pertaining to people. Again, The Flood messed up all the carbon dating etc. xD

Flame all you want people. Its what I believe and my two cents. And nobody will ever change that.

Anyway have fun! XD

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What do you know to be fact regarding the origins of the universe?

The origins of the universe is a complex thing and bit beyond my ability to explain, this I admit, but there is tonnes of information on the internet that will help you understand it better. The reason I agree with it is not due to belief but because other people who understand it agree with it. You either go with scientific consensus or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo