Cortana got the age of the Earth wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Creationists aren't stupid. I would never call anyone stupid for having beliefs.

Creationists have simply defined boundaries around their view of the world according to their belief system.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I love how this thread went downhill after my post. XD

And creationists are stupid people that believe that the earth came about 6-7 literal 24 hour days. When in fact each day is a period of time which could've spanned any number of years. xd

I honestly don't know any Christian who believes that it's 7 literal earth days. I mean, maybe children who don't understand the metaphor think that, but everytime I hear a child say that, the parent always goes "it doesn't actually mean days, that's just what they called it back then".

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The origins of the universe is a complex thing and bit beyond my ability to explain, this I admit, but there is tonnes of information on the internet that will help you understand it better. The reason I agree with it is not due to belief but because other people who understand it agree with it. You either go with scientific consensus or you don't.

Well for me the "Big Bang" seems to be the most plausible. The hard part people deal with is trying to explain what was that central point of energy that exploded outward.

A plausible answer: God. (I would call him by his name instead but since people like to complain about everything I'll leave it at that for general purposes)

My 2 cents again.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't know any Christian who believes that it's 7 literal earth days. I mean, maybe children who don't understand the metaphor think that, but everytime I hear a child say that, the parent always goes "it doesn't actually mean days, that's just what they called it back then".

Well that's true, still I feel its dumb. :v
Why my dad calls it Christendumb.

Not hating on other people, that's just my opinion.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well for me the "Big Bang" seems to be the most plausible. The hard part people deal with is trying to explain what was that central point of energy that exploded outward.

A plausible answer: God. (I would call him by his name instead but since people like to complain about everything I'll leave it at that for general purposes)

My 2 cents again.

There's lots of ideas about what happened before the 'big bang'. The multiverse idea comes into play along with idea of continuous recycling. There's the idea that there were probably other unstable universes prior to this one.

As for using the g word, that just leaves more questions than answers.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Call me simple but I can't even imagine how all of this came from nothingness that decided to blow up into somethingness. Now that requires some serious faith...
sent using tapatalk app

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are, unfortunately a lot of what are referred to 'Young Earth Creationists' around. Do a search on Ken Ham and the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter. If you want a real laugh, look up a video on YouTube Ray Comfort and bananas. Not entirely sure why there are so many Aussies...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I suggest you all read this website: http://www.whywontgodhealamputees.com/

It's a humorous, yet intelligent, look at why "beliefs" based on emotion, country of origin, culture, etc are pretty much ridiculous when held under the lens of logic. I mean, think about it: are all amputees sinning heathens waiting on a trip to the underworld??? Did they secretly not really want that arm or leg anyway??? Why so much hate from the "almighty" towards amputees???

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Call me simple but I can't even imagine how all of this came from nothingness that decided to blow up into somethingness. Now that requires some serious faith...
sent using tapatalk app
Well, the speculation is that there wasn't nothingness before the big bang... It was something (a universe?) from which ours exploded.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
sent using tapatalk app

Even I, someone who has literally almost no idea what most of the science mumbo-jumbo of the Big Bang means and have had it explained to me and it still doesn't make sense, know that that's not even close to what the Big Bang Theory is.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Btw, just curious: what questions do YOU think remain?

Many questions still remain. What is consciousness? What was before the universe? Why is the universe the way it is?

There is more but you get the picture. There are many other questions a bit less philosophical and could eventually be answered given the time.

There is one question that will always be around that will always be difficult to answer. I got this question from a very famous scientist by the way. It is this: once we know everything the one question will remain - why is it like that? That's hard to answer.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There are, unfortunately a lot of what are referred to 'Young Earth Creationists' around. Do a search on Ken Ham and the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter. If you want a real laugh, look up a video on YouTube Ray Comfort and bananas. Not entirely sure why there are so many Aussies...

I mean, I don't doubt that they exist. Hell, people believe in a lot of things. Some people still believe the earth is flat. I'm just saying that even me, who lives in the Bible belt in West Virginia have never heard someone (even the pastors) say that it was seven literal earth days, so his "creationists are stupid" argument is kinda dumb.

EDIT: meant to say "I mean" not I'm mean XD

Last edited:

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
sent using tapatalk app

Science doesn't say there was nothing before the big bang. It says there was a big bang and the universe is still expanding. Science doesn't know what came before the big bang, and may never know. But we should try to find out before saying that a "god did it". No faith required.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm mean, I don't doubt that they exist. Hell, people believe in a lot of things. Some people still believe the earth is flat. I'm just saying that even me, who lives in the Bible belt in West Virginia have never heard someone (even the pastors) say that it was seven literal earth days, so his "creationists are stupid" argument is kinda dumb.

I don't believe anyone is dumb. Just ignorant (meaning not knowing) and scared of what they don't understand. Then you add in the indoctrination of belief and a culture of family within that belief system and things pass from generation to generation. People are simply scared of what science may take away from them rather than what it can give them. That's unfortunate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Science doesn't say there was nothing before the big bang. It says there was a big bang and the universe is still expanding. Science doesn't know what came before the big bang, and may never know. But we should try to find out before saying that a "god did it". No faith required.

There's a couple of books on the subject out. Though the have good science behind them they are a bit hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs