Why didn't I ever learn this in geography class?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I watched a program on Netflix from the Discovery Channel called Wildest India.

I know India is a really big country, with a variety of climates and wildlife, but I never knew there is a desert in India.

The episode about the Thar Desert was fascinating. I had no idea it even existed, since it was never mentioned in my geography class in school.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I watched a program on Netflix from the Discovery Channel called Wildest India.

I know India is a really big country, with a variety of climates and wildlife, but I never knew there is a desert in India.

The episode about the Thar Desert was fascinating. I had no idea it even existed, since it was never mentioned in my geography class in school.

That is not surprising, considering that many Indian kids don't know about it's existence, either.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Thar desert is a big desert. And I always studied that in my geography lessons. In one of my lessons, we had a map with all the desert regions of the World and sure enough, there was the Thar (native pronunciation is 'turr') in India and its extensions, the Cholistan and the Thar-parker deserts in Pakistan. It is pretty evident that the arid Western region of India and the Southeastern regions of Pakistan are desert.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I would say what ever Discovery or National Geographic presents, make me wonder if i missed something to see!!
Last day [on 15th Aug] they showed something about elephants and all. That video was more than decades old but contained so much about Our culture that i felt too happy to see again as most of the essence is lost to the E-World...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You missed some assignment too :D
The lessons and textbook were terrible. I had the impression that India only is: cold in the mountains, and hot and humid everywhere else. :unhappy: I had no idea of the diverse climate, due to the geography.

Then again, I thought Seattle, Washington got lots of rain. I found out later, from a friend who lives there, that Seattle gets less rain than I do here in Cleveland, Ohio.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The lessons and textbook were terrible. I had the impression that India only is: cold in the mountains, and hot and humid everywhere else. :unhappy: I had no idea of the diverse climate, due to the geography.

Then again, I thought Seattle, Washington got lots of rain. I found out later, from a friend who lives there, that Seattle gets less rain than I do here in Cleveland, Ohio.

Thankfully we are Enlightened by the WorldWideWeb even though our books are cluttered in Webs :D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would say what ever Discovery or National Geographic presents, make me wonder if i missed something to see!!
Last day [on 15th Aug] they showed something about elephants and all. That video was more than decades old but contained so much about Our culture that i felt too happy to see again as most of the essence is lost to the E-World...
I love elephants! My Windows Phone 8.1 homescreen is an elephant picture. So is my Windows 8.1 lockscreen.

wp_ss_20140817_0001.png

Screenshot (59).png

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Teachers cannot teach every fact, so they should try and concentrate on teaching children the wish to learn by themselves.

Don't blame the teachers if you don't have an enquiring mind though, some people are happy to know what they need to know, even when that is plainly not enough to actually exist in a world of other people :straight:

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb