I was cleaning my office today when I notice a water bottle half filled with water behind my monitor with with black balls in it I assume this is mold.I quickly through it down my sink.I was wondering is this toxic to my health? I work from home and game in my office so I'm in there daily.Please give educated answer for this serious question.
    08-26-2014 07:36 PM
    Not sure if you are asking if you should decontaminate your office or if you are okay to keep using the water bottle? lol

Office is probably fine especially if the water bottle was sealed. Not all molds are bad. To make yourself more comfortable wipe down surfaces with bleach water and let the room air out.

Please just throw away the water bottle, not even worth holding onto.
    MicrosoftFan and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-26-2014 07:43 PM
    Not sure if you are asking if you should decontaminate your office or if you are okay to keep using the water bottle? lol

Office is probably fine especially if the water bottle was sealed.

Please just throw away the water bottle, not even worth holding onto.
    It was plastic bottle not sealed.I was asking if my health is at risk
    08-26-2014 07:46 PM
    It was plastic bottle not sealed.I was asking if my health is at risk
    Sorry just updated my original post, but unless you are super asthmatic or have major respiratory problems you will be more than fine. To make yourself more comfortable wipe down surfaces with bleach water and let the room air out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-26-2014 07:47 PM
    Would you consider the Center for Disease Control a credible source of information?

CDC - Mold - General Information: Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum and Other Molds

Chances are, since the bottle is half empty, the water was contaminated with bacteria when you drank it. No, your mouth is not toxic, but the water is no longer sterile. Given time and a warm place (like behind your monitor), mold will grow. If the bottle was closed, it is unlikely that the source of the bacteria was airborne, so you probably are not breathing toxic mold bacteria.

But while we're on the subject of contaminated water... I recently researched a warning I'd received concerning bottled water left in a hot car... this WebMD article debunks that urban legend and provides more education about bottled water safety:

Bottled Water: FAQ on Safety and Purity
    Laura Knotek and MicrosoftFan like this.
    08-26-2014 07:51 PM
    Sorry just updated my original post, but unless you are super asthmatic or have major respiratory problems you will be more than fine. To make yourself more comfortable wipe down surfaces with bleach water and let the room air out.
    thanks for your advice I'll clean my desk and air out my office
    08-26-2014 07:53 PM
    Would you consider the Center for Disease Control a credible source of information?

CDC - Mold - General Information: Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum and Other Molds

Chances are, since the bottle is half empty, the water was contaminated with bacteria when you drank it. No, your mouth is not toxic, but the water is no longer sterile. Given time and a warm place (like behind your monitor), mold will grow. If the bottle was closed, it is unlikely that the source of the bacteria was airborne, so you probably are not breathing toxic mold bacteria.

But while we're on the subject of contaminated water... I recently researched a warning I'd received concerning bottled water left in a hot car... this WebMD article debunks that urban legend and provides more education about bottled water safety:

Bottled Water: FAQ on Safety and Purity
    Thanks for long descriptive answer. Unfortunately it was not sealed there was no cap
    08-26-2014 07:54 PM