Official 2014 NFL Thread

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep... it is that time of year again!! As I type this, we are less then a week away from kick-off!! It is time for bad predictions, horrid play calling and the Monday morning QB-ing, wanting our coach fired one week and singing his glory the next, arguing where todays players belong in the conversation of all-time greats, and general pig-skin venting. Ahh yesss... FOOTBALL IS BACK!!
As I type this on 8/29/2013, I am not making division by division predictions, but I will toos some out there to get the party started:

Best Team: Everyone is still on the Seattle Seahawk bandwagon, and it is defendable. But let us be honest- teams do not ever repeat in the NFL. Not in this Century. I am finding hard to not pick New England right now. The addition of Revis, the return of Haynesworth, and a healthy Gronk makes them look great on paper. If not this year, then I think they are just not ever doing it again.

Most improved team: Houston. Cushing is back, Clowney looks great, JJ Watt is STILL JJ Watt, they still have Adrian Foster and a great receiving corp, and an improved QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick who at least can play. I like them to beat out the Colts in the AFC South. Maybe easily, if Indy doesn't improve dramatically on "D".

Most disappointing team: San Fran. Yep, I went there. They have looked awful in the preseason and I think Kaepernick's passing limitations are about to catch up to them. Still a good team in the play-offs, mind you, I aint crazy. But 10-6 and out the first round would be a huge let down for this team.

Worst team: Oakland. 'Nuff said.

Best "D": Seattle until someone proves otherwise, although Houston will have some things to say about it.

Best "O": Denver. Duh. Watch for Atlanta to bounce back as well. Philly could also be scary good.

Worst "D":Maybe Oakland, maybe Chicago. Indy has a 4 game suspension of Mathis and a horrid secondary, so they may fall on very hard times as well.

Worst "O": Hard to not argue it is coming out of the AFC South: Jacksonville and Tennessee are both in need of a compass to find opponents endzones.

Ahhh.... Football talk...... Makes me happy.....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, football is back. The Office pool Week 1 spreads are out, so that's the official sign of a new NFL season for me. Here are my predictions:

AFC: Denver, NE, IND, CIN are the division winners. BAL and SD are the wildcards.
Most improved - Houston, BAL, NYJ (to finish 8-8 again), SD
Disappointments: PIT, KC and MIA.
Worst team: sadly, OAK. Although I could easily see the Bills or the Titans here.
Bold statement: my JAGS will not have the worst record in the NFL. Hell, they may finish 3rd in the AFC South.

NFC: PHI (as much as I hate to put that), NO, SEA, are the division winners. DET and SF as the wildcard.
Most improved: ATL, TB, DET, MIN.
Disappointments: CAR, my NYG (because I don't think they're a playoff team as of right now), CHI.
Worst team: WAS.
Guarantee: Cowboys finishing...8-8.

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Guarantee: Cowboys finishing...8-8.

Wow. Going out on a limb there, MIA. You bold soothsayer, you!! :grin:

By the way, maybe it is because I am a die hard, all my life Bucs fan and I am tired of them beating us, but totally forgot to put New Orleans in the "Best offense" catagory above.

Flogging myself now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Going out on a limb there, MIA. You bold soothsayer, you!! :grin:

By the way, maybe it is because I am a die hard, all my life Bucs fan and I am tired of them beating us, but totally forgot to put New Orleans in the "Best offense" catagory above.

Flogging myself now.

There are 3 guarantees in life these days...death, taxes, and the Cowboys finishing 8-8 in spectacular fashion...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's pretty hard for me to make predictions from preseason.

Seattle still looks real solid. They could repeat like New England did in 2004/2005.

I wouldn't write Oakland off as the worst team yet. Their new rookie quarteback, Derek Carr, is a pretty good quarterback.

Johnny Manziel looked pretty good against the Bears, I am surprised the Browns won't be starting him.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think Seattle makes it out of the NFC again. The AFC is tough. I'm going with Denver again only because I don't trust Gronk to stay healthy. And to me, he makes the Pats offense that much more dynamic.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty hard for me to make predictions from preseason.

Seattle still looks real solid. They could repeat like New England did in 2004/2005.

I wouldn't write Oakland off as the worst team yet. Their new rookie quarteback, Derek Carr, is a pretty good quarterback.

Johnny Manziel looked pretty good against the Bears, I am surprised the Browns won't be starting him.

OAK's O-line is bad. That's why I'm writing them off right now. Johnny F. cannot get his first start against Pittsburgh, because he if struggles there is no Plan B. I like Hoyer, so let him at for as long as he can hold the job. There are quite a few teams out there who could use a good QB, so if Hoyer plays well he can find a new home.

Personally, I like what the JAGS are doing, not because they're my team. They're still thin talent wise, and what they have is raw, but they play hard. I think Blake will play in the last 3 games this year, barring injury. That should be enough to get him ready for next year.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Todays non-news news item:

New England trades Ryan Mallett to Houston for a 7th round pick in a trade which makes both teams better.

*cough, cough*

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Office pool is in full swing...got smoked by GB, thought they'd keep it close, but looking forward to tomorrow. Sadly, I won't be able to watch live games (unless on Thursday) this year...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Office pool is in full swing...got smoked by GB, thought they'd keep it close, but looking forward to tomorrow. Sadly, I won't be able to watch live games (unless on Thursday) this year...

Wow. That stinks. I am wagering work is in the way?

No worries. Win all the office pools. Cash makes everything easier to handle.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too hopeful about the Browns this year. Their defense is better, but their offense is still offensive. It's sure not going to help that Gordon is suspended the entire season, since they really don't have any good WRs. I doubt they'll be any better than 6-10.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow. That stinks. I am wagering work is in the way?

No worries. Win all the office pools. Cash makes everything easier to handle.

I'm doing my MSW internship on Sunday and Monday afternoons...that allows me to still work full time Tuesdays through Saturdays. So I'll be seeing highlights. So far it's 18 people in this week, so if I win week one, $90 will make me missing the games live feel better.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too hopeful about the Browns this year. Their defense is better, but their offense is still offensive. It's sure not going to help that Gordon is suspended the entire season, since they really don't have any good WRs. I doubt they'll be any better than 6-10.

That's where I had the Browns this year too. I'd have given them a shot at 8-8 if Gordon wasn't suspended.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, now that the thread is started, I want to give everyone fair warning:

Tampa Bay Fan Boy is kicking off tomorrow. There will be no reasoning with me.

Mentioned that Lovie Smith is the single greatest coach ever? Our cheerleaders are too cute for TV? The Hall Of Fame has about 7 ballots already approved for Bucs not even drafted yet? The Lombardi trophy already has Tampa etched on it for the Champions, only the losing team and final score is pending? And they are gonna rename it for John Gruden?

Oh yes..... open minded mutt has left the building.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too hopeful about the Browns this year. Their defense is better, but their offense is still offensive.
Okay... that made me laugh.

How many Head Coaches have the Browns had lately? Have they given anyone longer then 2 years of the past 4 or 5 coaches?

At least your off seasons are interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers