Official 2014 NFL Thread

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Some people seem to not have a grasp of how the balls are handled for NFL games, and have pretty much stated so. Nothing wrong with that. Until yesterday, neither did I. I did some research, and thought I'd provide what I came up with.

How it works:
The footballs that each quarterback uses are provided by their own team, and have been scuffed/marked by their quarterback. They are checked by the referees before the game to ensure proper inflation and weight, etc. They are not allowed to be tampered with once the referees check them.

The home team is then responsible for providing the appropriate team balls during play, depending on whose offense in on the field. That means the equipment handlers for the home team and the quarterbacks of both teams are the only ones checking balls going on and off the fields.

During the Superbowl, it has already been announced that the NFL will provide 3rd party officials to handle the balls during the game in order to prevent any tampering of the balls.

That being said, I'll be rooting for Seattle this year. Never rooted for them before now, however, there are 2 good reasons for me to do so this year.
1. I like the way Cortana gave Seattle an edge of 78.5 points during Joe B's presentation, because he's a fan. I'll be rooting for them partly for Microsoft.
2. I don't Tom Brady, because if he says he didn't realize the balls were deflated, he is lying. I've lost all respect I could have possibly had. No defense for that.

Go Hawks!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As overblown and ridiculous this whole thing has been, at least we're getting some gems from BB and his "deflategate" press conferences.

It's not as crazy until you consider that Chad Knauss has been suspended 11 times in NASCAR for everything from illegal windshield mounts to illegal shoulder harnesses. Yep, those "unapproved" shoulder harnesses make that #48 Chevrolet too fast. I don't like "Cheatin' Chad" or Jimmy Johnson but getting docked driver points and $500k for a spoiler that's 1/4" too long is beyond crazy.

Anybody here old enough to remember George Brett and the pine tar game vs. the Yankees?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The only other thing I'll say about the Pats is this: Brady better not bomb on Super Sunday, or else this whole situation has validity. I think he'll play well enough, but Seattle is gonna win in the end.

Seriously though, the media needs to get off this topic. And fast.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
WP_20141108_001 (1).jpg

This is scientific proof that an underinflated football is indeed easier to catch. I'd like to see Odell Beckham Jr. top this. BTW, to all my northern friends, yes that's grass on the ground. Greetings from Miami.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This is being talked about now: The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible

...One can CLEARLY SEE the Patriots, visually, are off the chart. There is no other team even close to being near to their rate of 187 offensive plays (passes+rushes+sacks) per fumble. The league average is 105 plays/fumble. Most teams are within 21 plays of that number....

Sharp Football Analysis

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/397045/does-deflate-gate-explain-pats-super-low-fumble-rate-jack-fowler

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am curious how the Patriots use of deflated footballs helped them on defense & special teams in the AFC Championship?

I do not have a horse in the race for Super Bowl, and am still irked at the Rams losing to the Pats in the Super Bowl back in Super Bowl 36 in 2002, but think there are bigger things to worry about than football inflation.

The Colts did absolutely nothing to help themselves in that game.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am curious how the Patriots use of deflated footballs helped them on defense & special teams in the AFC Championship?

I do not have a horse in the race for Super Bowl, and am still irked at the Rams losing to the Pats in the Super Bowl back in Super Bowl 36 in 2002, but think there are bigger things to worry about than football inflation.

The Colts did absolutely nothing to help themselves in that game.

Each team uses its own footballs.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welp...
Waiting for New England to choke tomorrow here.

We're having the game day neighborhood breakfast at 8:30 after which I'll bake cookies and make guacamole for the party.
No matter what happens a good time will be had for all involved.

Hoping the team I like wins.
Good luck y'all!

seahawks.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I remember that and I also remember one of the Niekro brothers getting caught with a nail file in his glove to scuff the ball.
How about Gaylord Perry and his spitballs?

There was a pitcher just last season who had pine tar in his glove. I forgot the guy's name.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy the game, folks...I'll be out all afternoon any evening. Maybe I catch the 4th quarter.

I won't check for in game updates because as a Jags and Giants fan, I have no dog in this race.

Having said that...Seattle needs to beat these Patriots.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly the 1st quarter was boring as hell. 2nd quarter got cooking, sadly though I cannot watch the whole game since I'm working tomorrow morning really early.

Also I didn't see a single Microsoft Surface anywhere, unless I'm blind because all I saw were binders and papers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos