09-13-2014 11:30 AM
54 123
tools
    Well guess what. The build will still be the same. It's the same people working on them, but with a different branding name. It's not a big deal. Anyone who leaves because of the branding name is just plain ignorant.
    09-11-2014 04:53 PM
    Good grief -- talk about majoring in minor things. . .

HEY! I will let you know that I have a major in Spewing Truth and Lies. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :P

As for the Nokia naming. It was inevitable, but their not stupid either to just call it.... windows phone, there has to be a structure to show low end and high end devices.

Also I find this rumors strange that it came out the day the iPhone 6 came out. Coincidence? I think not.
    snowmutt and xandros9 like this.
    09-11-2014 05:44 PM
    I don't see what's the big deal.
    Yea, the Nokia name, I agree with you.

As for Windows Phone to just Windows...I don't like it. Personally I WANT to see Windows Phone go over 4%, I want to see it around 10-15% as quick as possible. I want newer apps, I want hardware (like smartwatches, etc) and other devices to come to it.

Microsoft and assorted carriers and vendors have spent BILLIONS just so Joe Six pack hears about "WIndows Phone" changing it will confuse these people and they will just go buy a iPhone...

Something I don't want to see happen. Friends don't let Friends buy a iPhone....
    09-11-2014 07:41 PM
    Here is a petition to get microsoft to use Lumia instead of Microsoft on their phones.
    Branding should be named just Lumia. not Microsoft. – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    09-11-2014 09:19 PM
    No, I won't. Microsoft bought the rights to Nokia's hardware division. They did not buy the Nokia brand or the company as a whole. They have no right to continue to produce products as Microsoft, while putting on the brand of a different company out of the hardware sector entirely.

As for dropping the name, I don't care. Whatever it takes to get them to release a decent phone under the Microsoft name, I'm fine with it. Call it iWindows if you must, I just want them to release something better than the trash that is the 730/830.
    09-11-2014 09:30 PM
    Losing the Nokia name will gain users at the same time because nokia is not a popular brand everywhere. Maybe it's popular where you are from but where I'm from everyone looks down on Nokia!
    Nokia is not popular in the USA. And that's basically it.

To the OP: Microsoft HAS to drop the Nokia brand as they don't own Nokia. Therefore they have no right to call "Nokia" to phones that aren't made by Nokia. Simple.
    09-11-2014 09:52 PM
    I suggest you learn some things about business. Yes, I hate seeing the Nokia brand go away, been with them for 15 years. But when MS bought the Nokia phone business (Nokia has many, other large divisions), these things were set out in the contracts. What each party can and can't do. We are just bystanders to these titan clashes.

You think a petition will cause them to rethink their business models? Ha ha ha ha ha.....I don't have enough "ha's" in my kb.
    iamtim likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:15 PM
    I suggest you learn some things about business. Yes, I hate seeing the Nokia brand go away, been with them for 15 years. But when MS bought the Nokia phone business (Nokia has many, other large divisions), these things were set out in the contracts. What each party can and can't do. We are just bystanders to these titan clashes.

You think a petition will cause them to rethink their business models? Ha ha ha ha ha.....I don't have enough "ha's" in my kb.
    You never know...
    09-11-2014 10:44 PM
    You never know...
    Your petition is meaningless. Nokia as a company still exists. MS cannot legally use it. Therefore they name goes.

Time to get over it. If the only reason you're on WP is because of Nokia, you were on it for the wrong reason anyway.

Also you signature is really annoying. Just saying.
    09-12-2014 02:04 AM
    Please keep things civil, my fellow posters.

Good humored sarcasm is always welcome, but please no personal shots.
    xandros9 and Guytronic like this.
    09-12-2014 04:37 AM
    I bought my Nokia Lumia 1520 because it was the best phone I could get running WP, it was built by a company called Nokia, but I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't run WP.

If Nokia had been building the 1520 with Android instead of WP, I would not have bought the 1520.

And I must admit my brand loyalty to MS was on shaky ground until I saw Windows 8.1 as I thought 8 was rubbish, but now they have won me back with WP8, the Xbox One and Windows 8.1 and the fantastic integration.

I can understand brand loyalty, but you have to get a bit real here, Nokia sold the phone making division to Microsoft, they sold the Lumia name rights for X years, they did not sell them the Name Nokia, Nokia still own that and still trade with that name, I here they make a decent map program. Microsoft cannot continue to use the Nokia name from X date.

So if you have brand loyalty to Nokia and will only buy phones with Nokia written on them you have a few choices.

Keep your existing phone

Second-hand shops still sell phones with Nokia written on them.

Buy a label maker, and stick Nokia on any other phone you buy.

Time to face facts, if you will only buy or use Nokia made phones, and will no longer buy or use MS, Windows or Lumia branded phones, then it's stay in the dark ages, buy other makes of phones that run WP/Windows or say hello Android/IOS. But this has been a fact of life for at least a year now and I am surprised anyone is still surprised/outraged at what is now at least 1 year old news.

Good luck out there.

Bob
    her3814 and snowmutt like this.
    09-12-2014 07:03 AM
    Microsoft legally can't keep using the Nokia branding for long. And they're keeping the Lumia branding and even though there's a chance, albeit small, that they could stop using it, there's not enough evidence to prove that.
    09-12-2014 01:30 PM
    nokia is and has always been a symbol of trust and good service,build etc in Asia and Europe
    09-12-2014 01:55 PM
    I'm fine with having it be Microsoft Lumia, I think Lumia is an excellent product name.
    09-12-2014 03:26 PM
    I would like it if Nokia and Microsoft make an agreement that the phones are allowed to be called "Nokia by Microsoft". That would make me very happy!
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-12-2014 03:37 PM
    It's all about Convergence. I'm a fan. :)
    09-12-2014 03:40 PM
    I'm a fan of the Nokia brand (seems like the Microsoft brand hasn't been a great one the last decade). But, as long as they keep Lumia, I think everything will be cool. And, now maybe you'll just call your phone a Windows phone (instead of a Windows Phone phone) :-)
    09-12-2014 03:45 PM
    Please keep things civil, my fellow posters.

Good humored sarcasm is always welcome, but please no personal shots.
    Oops. I was just about to get all snarky like and then I read your reminder. Thanks.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-12-2014 04:04 PM
    I would like it if Nokia and Microsoft make an agreement that the phones are allowed to be called "Nokia by Microsoft". That would make me very happy!
    What's in a name? That what we call a rose would still smell as sweet...

I know name brands mean a lot to people but in this instance it's a little late to worry about it. The phones will be not be Nokia and the name Nokia will only appear on your Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive because they still own that.

Lumia will be next. It's only a matter of time. Hope we can all move on. Either you like the OS and have confidence in it and the handsets that MS will produce or you don't. Until we see one we can't pass judgement.
    09-12-2014 04:08 PM
    Your petition is meaningless. Nokia as a company still exists. MS cannot legally use it. Therefore they name goes.

Time to get over it. If the only reason you're on WP is because of Nokia, you were on it for the wrong reason anyway.

Also you signature is really annoying. Just saying.
    Try to keep this on topic. I made the petition to see if the community would really care. Also, petitions are meanless? Seriously, it's just a try in a million.
    09-12-2014 06:44 PM
    Renaming the brand may be something corporate restriction that doesn't allow the future use for NOKIA name, but for many of users like us who have been using the Nokia phones since its having the Nokia brand irrespective of the OS. I am also one of those users who didn't care about the OS they were putting in the phone but rather go for the good old hardware from the superb company. Acquisition from MS was not a planned move for the users/loyalists of the brand, though I still believe we can use the name. Though if as rumoured the name goes, then I also guess my L925 would be the last Nokia phone for me. Hope MS agrees to use the name in future, which may be unlikely.
    "Nokia" brand don't let it get away MS.
    09-12-2014 10:14 PM
    Also, petitions are mean[ing]less?
    Totally meaningless. Waste of time. Microsoft already has a strategy and a bunch of yahoos on the internet aren't going to change that.

And yeah, your signature is annoying.
    09-13-2014 12:53 AM
    Oops. I was just about to get all snarky like and then I read your reminder. Thanks.
    Oh, a LITTLE snarky never hurt anyone....
    09-13-2014 01:18 AM
    Try to keep this on topic. I made the petition to see if the community would really care. Also, petitions are meanless? Seriously, it's just a try in a million.
    I said your petition is meaningless I didn't say all petitions. Second you ranted about leaving WP if the Nokia brand is removed.

So point one, your petition is meaningless because regardless how much we care it won't change anything. It's part of the legal requirement because Nokia still exists as a company. MS doesn't own the Nokia name.

Point two, your rant points to one of the biggest issues regarding WP is that a lot of people jumped onto the platform because of Nokia. So MS has to prove they still care about people like you. Thing is you're not giving them a chance. You're not a WP user you're a lover of a name.

That was my point. If Nokia is all that matters to you then you're on the platform for the wrong reason.

So get ready for more disappointment. First Nokia, then phone and then Lumia will go. Guaranteed.

You can leave anyone you want.
    badcat and silversid2 like this.
    09-13-2014 04:10 AM
    I think I may very well be in ❤ with N_LaRUE.... Straight to the point 😍 lol
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-13-2014 04:37 AM
54 123