Don't rename Windows Phone and Nokia!!! Stop Microsoft from doing so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
http://www.change.org/p/microsoft-don-t-rename-windows-phone-and-nokia
Microsoft reportedly dropping Windows Phone and Nokia brand names in favor of Windows and Lumia

Sign the petition on the link!

Microsoft is going to rename all Nokia products to one name "Windows". They are rumored to kill off the Nokia family and drop the "Phone" in Windows Phone. This will confuse costumers on the difference between the Mobile and PC OS if Microsoft were to name everything under one name "Windows". Thus, there might be no "Windows 9".

Last edited:

MicrosoftMobile4me

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
No nokia product will be called windows. Microsoft is not going to use the nokia name beyond the 730/830. Microsoft still has the Lumia name. Windows phone will be just called windows. More like... :: Microsoft Mobile Lumia running Windows ::.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you're reading too far into things, but hey, you could be right. I highly doubt it personally, but that's just me.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The point is they ARE all running the same OS, just optimized for different form factors. And as for the Nokia name, they cant use it forever aa that wasn't what they purchased. WP phones will be branded Lumia, which is associated with Nokia, at least for now. Nothing to get excited about, really.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
If you read the article, they might end the lumia line too....

which article are you referring to? Looks like just about every tech journalist has an article today about this. So far, Tom Warren has stated that phone will be dropped from the name, which actually seems to have happened with the HTC M8 for "windows" And the Nokia branding is gone (it was not purchased from Nokia, which is still a company) But the Microsoft produced phone would retain Lumia for the line.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Why even name it windows? Jeez! Modern Apps don't even run in windows. At least, they wont for tablet/phone form factor. Call it mOS shorthand for Microsoft OS, mobile OS whatever goes for you. Make windows logo as Microsoft's and slam it at the back of phones like apple does it with its products. Plagiarism at its best. Wohoo!

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You will not be getting many signatures on this, because you're over reacting without knowing the reasons, like half of the people on this website do. They can't use the Nokia name any longer. As for dropping the "Phone", I like the idea.
Also, this helps with the unification. We all want that "One" Microsoft experience. This is what we've been working toward. This is what we want.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
You will not be getting many signatures on this, because you're over reacting without knowing the reasons, like half of the people on this website do. They can't use the Nokia name any longer. As for dropping the "Phone", I like the idea.
Also, this helps with the unification. We all want that "One" Microsoft experience. This is what we've been working toward. This is what we want.

I honestly wanted to see if anyone one else had strong opinions about this. Clearly, you guys have really don't care.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Except it is not the same OS. :-/. Not much of a point in that case...

MS will have two OSes. One for desktops/laptops and one for tablets/phones.

As I understand it, the modern UI platform will be the same across phone, tablet, eventually Xbox. And if enabled on a desktop will be the same experience.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As I understand it, the modern UI platform will be the same across phone, tablet, eventually Xbox. And if enabled on a desktop will be the same experience.

That is correct, but that doesn't make them the same OS. It's hard to claim these are the same, when the mobile version is 1/10th the size and lacks the desktop entirely. They do share some common components however.

That would be similar to saying that a BMW 325 and 7 series F01 are the same car (OS), because they use the same tires (components).

EDIT:
I know I'm harping on about this point, but I think it's an important point if discussions about Windows are to make any real sense. You can't really discuss it if people don't have a common understanding of what it even is.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I get the point that Microsoft can no longer use the Nokia name, that is clear. For people not paying attention, Even though Microsoft has purchased Nokia Mobile, Nokia as a company still is there. As this part is no longer owned by Nokia, Microsoft needs to stop using the Nokia name by sometime mid/late in 2015(forget the exact date). This is part of the purchase agreement.

This means, no matter what anyone begs or it says, the Nokia name WILL be no longer used for phones made by Nokia's Mobile division or now Microsoft Mobile division. This is clear and no way around this. So drop this thought totally, as it "Ain't gona happen" as them keeping the Nokia name...

Now changing the name from Windows Phone to Microsoft Mobile or just Windows, I don't understand. I know they want to create "a device for all your needs" thing that they are trying to promote. Yea, that's great and all but, Microsoft and other vendors spent BILLIONS to get the "Windows Phone" name out there. It still would be a "device for all your needs" as Windows Phone... This I don't get and agree it should not change.

The Nokia brand must stay! If the Nokia brand leaves, I leave Windows Phone, even though it is a nice OS.

As I said, legally they cant keep the name. So if your going to leave because Nokia changed to Microsoft and they are made at the same company with being the same product and quality. All I can say is....Good bye, good luck on your next phone OS.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia brand must stay! If the Nokia brand leaves, I leave Windows Phone, even though it is a nice OS.

you bought the phone just because it said Nokia.

WTF.....please just leave now.

Just calling the phone OS Windows is the smart thing to do, because Windows will soon scale to whatever device you are using. Especially once the stores are merged there will be no difference between what you get on a tablet or laptop and what you get on your phone.

and Nokia has their own plans which probably include android at some point so best to get far far away from that name and let them **** themselves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3