09-13-2014 11:30 AM
54 123
tools
    http://www.change.org/p/microsoft-do...hone-and-nokia
    Microsoft reportedly dropping Windows Phone and Nokia brand names in favor of Windows and Lumia

Sign the petition on the link!

Microsoft is going to rename all Nokia products to one name "Windows". They are rumored to kill off the Nokia family and drop the "Phone" in Windows Phone. This will confuse costumers on the difference between the Mobile and PC OS if Microsoft were to name everything under one name "Windows". Thus, there might be no "Windows 9".
    Last edited by thepolicecall911fordetails; 09-10-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    09-10-2014 05:58 PM
    No nokia product will be called windows. Microsoft is not going to use the nokia name beyond the 730/830. Microsoft still has the Lumia name. Windows phone will be just called windows. More like... :: Microsoft Mobile Lumia running Windows ::.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-10-2014 06:11 PM
    If you read the article, they might end the lumia line too....
    09-10-2014 06:28 PM
    I think you're reading too far into things, but hey, you could be right. I highly doubt it personally, but that's just me.
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-10-2014 06:30 PM
    The point is they ARE all running the same OS, just optimized for different form factors. And as for the Nokia name, they cant use it forever aa that wasn't what they purchased. WP phones will be branded Lumia, which is associated with Nokia, at least for now. Nothing to get excited about, really.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    spaulagain likes this.
    09-10-2014 06:45 PM
    If you read the article, they might end the lumia line too....
    which article are you referring to? Looks like just about every tech journalist has an article today about this. So far, Tom Warren has stated that phone will be dropped from the name, which actually seems to have happened with the HTC M8 for "windows" And the Nokia branding is gone (it was not purchased from Nokia, which is still a company) But the Microsoft produced phone would retain Lumia for the line.
    09-10-2014 08:43 PM
    Why even name it windows? Jeez! Modern Apps don't even run in windows. At least, they wont for tablet/phone form factor. Call it mOS shorthand for Microsoft OS, mobile OS whatever goes for you. Make windows logo as Microsoft's and slam it at the back of phones like apple does it with its products. Plagiarism at its best. Wohoo!
    09-10-2014 09:00 PM
    You will not be getting many signatures on this, because you're over reacting without knowing the reasons, like half of the people on this website do. They can't use the Nokia name any longer. As for dropping the "Phone", I like the idea.
    Also, this helps with the unification. We all want that "One" Microsoft experience. This is what we've been working toward. This is what we want.
    Last edited by Nicholas Maguire; 09-10-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    09-10-2014 09:35 PM
    You will not be getting many signatures on this, because you're over reacting without knowing the reasons, like half of the people on this website do. They can't use the Nokia name any longer. As for dropping the "Phone", I like the idea.
    Also, this helps with the unification. We all want that "One" Microsoft experience. This is what we've been working toward. This is what we want.
    I honestly wanted to see if anyone one else had strong opinions about this. Clearly, you guys have really don't care.
    09-10-2014 10:48 PM
    The Nokia brand must stay! If the Nokia brand leaves, I leave Windows Phone, even though it is a nice OS.
    Tom Snyder and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-11-2014 01:00 AM
    The point is they ARE all running the same OS.

Except it is not the same OS. :-/. Not much of a point in that case...

MS will have two OSes. One for desktops/laptops and one for tablets/phones.
    09-11-2014 01:30 AM
    Except it is not the same OS. :-/. Not much of a point in that case...

MS will have two OSes. One for desktops/laptops and one for tablets/phones.

As I understand it, the modern UI platform will be the same across phone, tablet, eventually Xbox. And if enabled on a desktop will be the same experience.
    spaulagain likes this.
    09-11-2014 01:35 AM
    As I understand it, the modern UI platform will be the same across phone, tablet, eventually Xbox. And if enabled on a desktop will be the same experience.
    That is correct, but that doesn't make them the same OS. It's hard to claim these are the same, when the mobile version is 1/10th the size and lacks the desktop entirely. They do share some common components however.

That would be similar to saying that a BMW 325 and 7 series F01 are the same car (OS), because they use the same tires (components).

EDIT:
    I know I'm harping on about this point, but I think it's an important point if discussions about Windows are to make any real sense. You can't really discuss it if people don't have a common understanding of what it even is.
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-11-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: see edit
    Tom Snyder and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-11-2014 02:13 AM
    that's the idea.

Emphasize on "idea"
    Not necessarily the implementation
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-11-2014 06:19 AM
    Ok, I get the point that Microsoft can no longer use the Nokia name, that is clear. For people not paying attention, Even though Microsoft has purchased Nokia Mobile, Nokia as a company still is there. As this part is no longer owned by Nokia, Microsoft needs to stop using the Nokia name by sometime mid/late in 2015(forget the exact date). This is part of the purchase agreement.

This means, no matter what anyone begs or it says, the Nokia name WILL be no longer used for phones made by Nokia's Mobile division or now Microsoft Mobile division. This is clear and no way around this. So drop this thought totally, as it "Ain't gona happen" as them keeping the Nokia name...

Now changing the name from Windows Phone to Microsoft Mobile or just Windows, I don't understand. I know they want to create "a device for all your needs" thing that they are trying to promote. Yea, that's great and all but, Microsoft and other vendors spent BILLIONS to get the "Windows Phone" name out there. It still would be a "device for all your needs" as Windows Phone... This I don't get and agree it should not change.

The Nokia brand must stay! If the Nokia brand leaves, I leave Windows Phone, even though it is a nice OS.
    As I said, legally they cant keep the name. So if your going to leave because Nokia changed to Microsoft and they are made at the same company with being the same product and quality. All I can say is....Good bye, good luck on your next phone OS.
    Geddeeee, Beijendorf and snowmutt like this.
    09-11-2014 07:48 AM
    Good grief -- talk about majoring in minor things. . .

DavidinCT, xandros9 and hysonmb like this.
    09-11-2014 08:21 AM
    you bought the phone just because it said Nokia.

WTF.....please just leave now.

Just calling the phone OS Windows is the smart thing to do, because Windows will soon scale to whatever device you are using. Especially once the stores are merged there will be no difference between what you get on a tablet or laptop and what you get on your phone.

and Nokia has their own plans which probably include android at some point so best to get far far away from that name and let them **** themselves up.
    09-11-2014 08:24 AM
    About damn time this is happening so tired of the Nokia Lumia name. Where is the Xbox Phone I wanted
    DavidinCT and Guytronic like this.
    09-11-2014 08:54 AM
    you bought the phone just because it said Nokia.
    He's not the only one. I'm afraid that dropping the Nokia name is going to cost Microsoft some users. However, Microsoft has no choice but to drop it at some point.
    09-11-2014 09:39 AM
    If the Nokia brand leaves, I leave Windows Phone
    Well... bye.
    DavidinCT and xandros9 like this.
    09-11-2014 09:58 AM
    Many Windows Phone hipsters, that bought a Nokia when the phones got WP, apperantly can't understand that people were able to be Nokia phone before Windows Phone launched. I've been a long time Nokia fanboy, I loved symbian, even though it had quite a lot of flaws due to lack of inovation. Nokia was a brand that produced good quality phones with a good battery life and often a good camera. Since my L925 is sent in for repair now, I use the only Nokia phone I own now, an old tiny Nokia 500. Though it gets me frustrated all the time, especially when browsing the internet, I really love the simplicity and functionality the phone offers. And it is almost indestructable and even though the battery only has 1110MaH, it lasts or more than two days! XD It is much easier to make a call and listening to music or the radio is also very easy. I still hate the keyboard and internet experience. I was really surprised how fast my device is since I reinstalled the software.
    Last edited by djslofstra; 09-11-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:27 AM
    He's not the only one. I'm afraid that dropping the Nokia name is going to cost Microsoft some users. However, Microsoft has no choice but to drop it at some point.
    I find it hard to believe that people are only grabbing a phone because it has a Nokia name on it.... People buy a phone because of what type(OS) or what price(people who don't care they just want a phone). If people were going just for the name, that would be the iPhone, as we know some people buy it who are clueless on smartphones because they....just don't really have a clue...
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-11-2014 01:24 PM
    I don't see what's the big deal.

Losing the Nokia name will gain users at the same time because nokia is not a popular brand everywhere. Maybe it's popular where you are from but where I'm from everyone looks down on Nokia!

Losing the Nokia name will gain users at the same time because nokia is not a popular brand everywhere. Maybe it's popular where you are from but where I'm from everyone looks down on Nokia!
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-11-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    09-11-2014 01:26 PM
    I bought a Windows Phone because of the OS, and not the Nokia name. The Nokia name only complimented the phone in my opinion. I think some people are being a little over dramatic when it comes to a name that Microsoft can't legally keep. I mean, there's still a business called Nokia that is not affiliated with making phones--at the moment at least.
    I also think dropping the "phone" in WP is a good idea so that consumers can get the feeling of unity among the Windows brands.
    DavidinCT and hagjohn like this.
    09-11-2014 03:55 PM
    I think they dropped the "phone" from the name because it will run on tablets next year. Nobody wants a tablet running Windows Phone. It's like a downgrade in peoples mind. Even though it will be the same operating system, just called "Windows", they will be more accepting.
    spaulagain likes this.
    09-11-2014 04:00 PM
54 123