UX Research - How do you use & want to use universal apps?

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Poll Header should read : "How does a universal app apply to you?"

Hello everyone, Ali over and I have a question for you.

So I am doing some UX research for a project I have and decided to get the answers from the users themselves. So here goes.

In this growing world of screens, devices and services, what is it that you want to see developers do to really link them up together? What are some features you would like to see in apps that run in multiple form factors? Not limited to a specific OS of course. How do you think you would use such apps and softwares?

For example: Let's take a Universal App, which leverages both the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (8.1 if you want to be technical) platforms, how would you like to see the app link up these two worlds together? what are some features you would see yourself using, or would make the app even better. You know we all have that "IF ONLY IT HAD THIS ONE FEATURE", or, "IF ONLY IT COULD DO THIS" such as maybe talk to or be aware of it's counterpart if that makes any sense. What are ways you would use such an app?

What are some limitations that you feel Universal apps don't cater for or even features that don't really apply to real world problems for example, the Xbox Smartglass. This app is where apps are heading to, controlling and interacting with counterparts (The Xbox One) but I feel the app is useless without an Xbox One when it really shouldn't be, yes you can go in and look around the app but it should be able to do more, such as interact with a Windows 8 PC, I understand that this is tailored specifically for the Xbox One, but wouldn't that open up the audience a little more, I mean there is Xbox Games on PC and such, but that's just me.

share with us your view and stand point, this would be extremely helpful for my research.

(If this is too vague, just let me know, and also if you were wondering what the project was, it's a project for the class I am taking "Fundementals of UX Design" which basically asks us to go and get to know your users in order to design for your users)

*I apologize for messing up the poll order. It won't allow me to edit the poll

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My favourite apps are the ones that are Universal: Nextgen Reader, Tweetium, Weave, Package Tracker. I use those regularly and like that I'm never needing to check what I've already seen, since the integration on my Windows Phone and my Windows PCs is seamless.

JeffWeber

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
As a developer, I'm really looking forward to Universal apps... Also as a user the idea of buying once and using accross platforms is awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss