Games are almost dead for 512 mb ram phones

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I own a Lumia 620. I was bored and played some games and what I found is that why game was laggy. I was so frustrated.
Here is a list of games I played.
Tentacles: Enter the mind
Subway surfers
Rival knights
Hungry shark evolution

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Nope, they are not. You should learn how to find games. There are good games, also go through the thread, Newly Discovered Games. It has all the latest games

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 620. I was bored and played some games and what I found is that why game was laggy. I was so frustrated.

Here is a list of games I played.

Tentacles: Enter the mind

Subway surfers

Rival knights

Hungry shark evolution

I got a lumia 630 and subway surfers and tentacles not laggy.
And rival knights is very laggy, but also on my ativ s and 920. Bouth have 1gb ram....

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I got a lumia 630 and subway surfers and tentacles not laggy.

And rival knights is very laggy, but also on my ativ s and 920. Bouth have 1gb ram....
okay I can understand that that's the problem of my old chipset but still more changes are out there which still lags

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I frequently play games on my Lumia 630 without lag.subway surfers,word puzzle.chess. Some games I have played gmhave lagged like racing games.hungry shark. I would say close other apps to free up memory.the majority of games play suprisingly well with 512mb ram

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should move to using a better standard. Android and iOS use OpenGL, and according to what I've read Windows Phone uses DirectX.

While DirectX is very popular in the PC and console space, developers often do not optimize their games well for Windows Phone.

Most games I've played on Windows Phone would have the following issues:

1) Many Quality 2D and 3D games would totally not exist.

2) The apps would not be optimized for 512 MB RAM.

3) The games would be optimized for 512 MB RAM, but would still be terrible.

4) The quality of graphics, effects and AA would not even come close to the Android/iOS counterparts.

Gaming is a pretty big sore point of Windows Phone, sadly. Microsoft needs to seriously improve it.

But it's not all bad I guess, Geometry Dash is a good game you could try. Piano.Tiles is also nice, Where's my Water, Hill Climb Racing, Pixel Gun 3D.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should move to using a better standard. Android and iOS use OpenGL, and according to what I've read Windows Phone uses DirectX.

While DirectX is very popular in the PC and console space, developers often do not optimize their games well for Windows Phone.

Most games I've played on Windows Phone would have the following issues:

1) Many Quality 2D and 3D games would totally not exist.

2) The apps would not be optimized for 512 MB RAM.

3) The games would be optimized for 512 MB RAM, but would still be terrible.

4) The quality of graphics, effects and AA would not even come close to the Android/iOS counterparts.

Gaming is a pretty big sore point of Windows Phone, sadly. Microsoft needs to seriously improve it.

But it's not all bad I guess, Geometry Dash is a good game you could try. Piano.Tiles is also nice, Where's my Water, Hill Climb Racing, Pixel Gun 3D.

Yes, I hope upcoming games made specifically for windows phone are good like age of empires: Castle siege.
, world domination.
One more point I noted though on the website of klabs(lads who are making age of empires : World domination)
Didn't posted it's availability on windows phone whereas it is windows phone first game

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

OpenGL is not a better standard. It's just a different standard. Thanks to cross platform gaming frameworks like Unity, that also isn't really the problem. At least the fact that not all games are available on 512MB devices is mainly down to differences in memory management which OpenGL doesn't address.

Finally, jumping on OpenGL would kill MS' ability to ever exploit synergies between Xbox game development and WP, which I've been waiting a long time for them to finally kick into motion. I don't know, maybe they will never get around to that, but going to OpenGL would at least make that much more problematic. In summary, I don't think such a move would make anything better.

EDIT:
Anyway, I view this issue differently. Laggy software is most often a software problem, and rarely a hardware problem. The software may have been poorly ported from iOS or Android, maybe it just generally doesn't scale well across different hardware platforms, maybe it was only ever tested on high-end devices, or possibly it was just developed by rookie developers. Powerful hardware is just a means of covering that up. If lag is truly and justifiably hardware related, it's more likely to be a GPU issue, not a RAM issue.

Last edited:

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
OpenGL is not a better standard. It's just a different standard. Thanks to cross platform gaming frameworks like Unity, that also isn't really the problem. At least the fact that not all games are available on 512MB devices is mainly down to differences in memory management which OpenGL doesn't address.

Finally, jumping on OpenGL would kill MS' ability to ever exploit synergies between Xbox game development and WP, which I've been waiting a long time for them to finally kick into motion. I don't know, maybe they will never get around to that, but going to OpenGL would at least make that much more problematic. In summary, I don't think such a move would make anything better.

EDIT:
Anyway, I view this issue differently. Laggy software is most often a software problem, and rarely a hardware problem. The software may have been poorly ported from iOS or Android, maybe it just generally doesn't scale well across different hardware platforms, maybe it was only ever tested on high-end devices, or possibly it was just developed by rookie developers. Powerful hardware is just a means of covering that up. If lag is truly and justifiably hardware related, it's more likely to be a GPU issue, not a RAM issue.

1. He didn't said open GL is better he said that games are made using this on other platforms so poorly optimised for windows phone.

2. I think you are quietly justified and if I agree that lag is GPU problem then why they ask for more ram.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1. He didn't said open GL is better he said that games are made using this on other platforms so poorly optimised for windows phone.

2. I think you are quietly justified and if I agree that lag is GPU problem then why they ask for more ram.

I don't understand your second point. Who is "they" that are asking for more RAM, and for what purpose?

As to your first point, you might want to reread both his and my post, because "better" is exactly the word that was used and I also explained why OpenGL vs DX isn't the issue.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand your second point. Who is "they" that are asking for more RAM, and for what purpose?

As to your first point, you might want to reread both his and my post, because "better" is exactly the word that was used and I also explained why OpenGL vs DX isn't the issue.

Well I'll be honest, I'm probably gonna start making a game on WP but I really want to use UE4 for it, (Tim from Epic said that they will support WP soon) however UE4 is such a god damn good looking engine that I'm afraid that 512 will probably not be enough. Of course if it's a 2D game then yes sure 512 will be fine but for anything 3D good luck making the game "look" good.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site

They means game or game developers.
for example spider man unlimited, order and chaos etc.

And I don't agree about what he says to openGL and DirectX but I was clarifying you what he said.
sorry for distractions.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion to all 512MB RAM users.
If you buy 512MB RAM WP devices then you don't have right to complain about games.

Because it comes with package.

If you are looking for games then move to budget Android devices.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion to all 512MB RAM users.

If you buy 512MB RAM WP devices then you don't have right to complain about games.

Because it comes with package.

If you are looking for games then move to budget Android devices.

You are not our teacher to say so nor you are CEO of Microsoft.
Microsoft should make budget WP with 1 gb ram.
Not everyone has high budget.
Until now only phones having mid to high range were having 1gb ram

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll be honest, I'm probably gonna start making a game on WP but I really want to use UE4 for it, (Tim from Epic said that they will support WP soon) however UE4 is such a god damn good looking engine that I'm afraid that 512 will probably not be enough. Of course if it's a 2D game then yes sure 512 will be fine but for anything 3D good luck making the game "look" good.

I don't buy that argument, at least not in general.

If you're making a 3D chess game, then there are no excuses for it looking bad. No matter what engine you use, even on 512 MB devices.

If you're making a 3D game with expansive 3D landscapes with tons of texture data, then okay, you'll likely have to provide a second set of lower resolution textures (or generate them on the fly) because the higher resolution textures won't fit into memory. Obviously, the more textures you require to create that digital landscape, the more resolution you'll have to sacrifice. However, that still doesn't mean it will necessarily look bad. On small smartphone screens you can often get away with using lower resolution textures. Particularly if your scenes are constantly in motion it won't matter that much, because the human eye is very bad at picking up texture detail in moving images.

Frankly, there are a lot of other limiting factors on smartphones beyond RAM, which in terms of graphics fidelity, often play a more important role, GPU pixel fill rate being one example. That just isn't a spec you'll find on the spec sheet.

A 512MB device definitely doesn't automatically mean that a game must look bad.

I agree that lag is GPU problem then why they ask for more ram.
They means game or game developers. for example spider man unlimited, order and chaos etc.

The fact that some games aren't made available to 512 MB devices, has absolutely nothing to do with lag.

On a 512 MB WP8.0 device, the most RAM any app can allocate for itself is 185 MB. Android makes some sacrifices in other areas, but it can (sometimes) allow games to allocate more RAM, even on 512 MB devices. As a result, most games are designed with higher memory limits in mind than what 512 MB WP devices can offer. After having developed such a game, getting it to work within a 185 MB budget can be very time consuming. Sometimes it's just not economically feasable. Even if a game is developed on all three platforms at once, it can still make software designer's lives much easier if the hardware platforms they're targeting are at least similar. Outliers are often ignored for this reason, particularly if those hardware platforms represent only a small fraction of the market, which is exactly the situation low-end WP devices are in. It's not that it can't be done, but that their ROI calculations are better if developers target the main stream.

Just to prove that point, Spider Man Unlimited has already been illegally patched to run on 512 MB WP devices, not professionally, but it's perfectly playable. That proves this issue has nothing to do with OpenGL vs. DX optimization or anything of that sort, because the game's code itself is completely unchanged. All they did was replace textures with lower resolution alternatives.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
You are not our teacher to say so nor you are CEO of Microsoft.
Microsoft should make budget WP with 1 gb ram.
Not everyone has high budget.
Until now only phones having mid to high range were having 1gb ram

Neither You are our teacher to say so nor you are CEO of Microsoft.
or lets say neither anyone here is a teacher nor CEO of MS.

Moving to second part.
I also own L620 & what I said is my experience with WP.
I do install games but games performance .......man that sucks.

Just take an example Hungry shark evolution. How much time this game take to start up.(This games Load three times before playing)

512MB RAM devices only good for games like 2048 & I learn this a long time ago.

But I like your comment
Why MS not make 1GB RAM budget devices ?
IF Moto can make it then why not MS.

I think MS trying to show that their OS can run smoothly on 512MB RAM devices but they forget about apps & games.(Even MS official apps perform bad on 512MB RAM devices)

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy that argument, at least not in general.

If you're making a 3D chess game, then there are no excuses for it looking bad. No matter what engine you use, even on 512 MB devices.

If you're making a 3D game with expansive 3D landscapes with tons of texture data, then okay, you'll likely have to provide a second set of lower resolution textures (or generate them on the fly) because the higher resolution textures won't fit into memory. Obviously, the more textures you require to create that digital landscape, the more resolution you'll have to sacrifice. However, that still doesn't mean it will necessarily look bad. On small smartphone screens you can often get away with using lower resolution textures. Particularly if your scenes are constantly in motion it won't matter that much, because the human eye is very bad at picking up texture detail in moving images.

Frankly, there are a lot of other limiting factors on smartphones beyond RAM, which in terms of graphics fidelity, often play a more important role, GPU pixel fill rate being one example. That just isn't a spec you'll find on the spec sheet.

A 512MB device definitely doesn't automatically mean that a game must look bad.

The fact that some games aren't made available to 512 MB devices, has absolutely nothing to do with lag.

On a 512 MB WP8.0 device, the most RAM any app can allocate for itself is 185 MB. Android makes some sacrifices in other areas, but it can (sometimes) allow games to allocate more RAM, even on 512 MB devices. As a result, most games are designed with higher memory limits in mind than what 512 MB WP devices can offer. After having developed such a game, getting it to work within a 185 MB budget can be very time consuming. Sometimes it's just not economically feasable. Even if a game is developed on all three platforms at once, it can still make software designer's lives much easier if the hardware platforms they're targeting are at least similar. Outliers are often ignored for this reason, particularly if those hardware platforms represent only a small fraction of the market, which is exactly the situation low-end WP devices are in. It's not that it can't be done, but that their ROI calculations are better if developers target the main stream.

Just to prove that point, Spider Man Unlimited has already been illegally patched to run on 512 MB WP devices, not professionally, but it's perfectly playable. That proves this issue has nothing to do with OpenGL vs. DX optimization or anything of that sort, because the game's code itself is completely unchanged. All they did was replace textures with lower resolution alternatives.

I guess I should rephrase my sentence, when I meant 3D games I mean games that are First Person based or an epic RPG, you know, games of a "grand scale" those types won't run very well on 512.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion