Thoughts on Apple's free U2 album gift?

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Dude, they have to set up a whole Web page to help people remove this album... Lol... So apparently it was a big deal for people.. They don't want anyone to mess with their cloud account and put anything into it without their permission... Don't force anything on people, don't take away their right to choose..

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Apple really dropped the ball on this one. Sure there is no issue with providing the album for free, however it should be up to the user to request the album not have apple automatically deploy it to every users iTunes account without approval.

In addition to this they could have possibly saved some cash. Rather than paying U2 millions of dollars to give it to everyone without their consent, they could have made it available for $0.00 in the iTunes store and then paid U2 a certain amount for each person that actually took advantage of it and downloaded the album.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm a lifelong U2 fan. Saw them in the early 80s when they released their Boy album. World domination beckons..
.. but this maneuver by them/iTunes does leave a bad after taste.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people get so frustrated. You don't get it on your phone, the only thing is that there's a link to download the album if you want to. You gave Apple permission to do so when you agreed with the terms, which you didn't read. And now people all start to scream it's wrong to deliver albums to you for free.

Funny thing, all the screamers don't like U2. I guess they won't make a sound when their favorite band got free on their phone.

Apple really dropped the ball on this one. Sure there is no issue with providing the album for free, however it should be up to the user to request the album not have apple automatically deploy it to every users iTunes account without approval.

In addition to this they could have possibly saved some cash. Rather than paying U2 millions of dollars to give it to everyone without their consent, they could have made it available for $0.00 in the iTunes store and then paid U2 a certain amount for each person that actually took advantage of it and downloaded the album.

What if Apple had proposed that but U2 didn't agree with that?

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people get so frustrated. You don't get it on your phone, the only thing is that there's a link to download the album if you want to. You gave Apple permission to do so when you agreed with the terms, which you didn't read. And now people all start to scream it's wrong to deliver albums to you for free.

Funny thing, all the screamers don't like U2. I guess they won't make a sound when their favorite band got free on their phone.

What if Apple had proposed that but U2 didn't agree with that?

Maybe it was written in the small prints and it's legal by law but morally and ethically it was wrong to force something on this many people.. And the album did get downloaded for those who chose auto download option which cost them data charges.. Beside there was no link, no email.. The album was there in my playlist ( via cloud) when I had put my ipod on shuffle and was listening to my music.. I didn't feel good when it started streaming and playing.. Beside there was no easy way to remove it before yesterday when Apple had to launch a support website and SOI Remove tool... I think it's good that people made such uproar about it, hopefully now they will go for opt-in and not opt out. I have no love or hate for U2. But Apple and Bono did this to set some record.. (Never ever in the history before so many people..........) So, it was a gift but not a gift, they had their agenda behind it.. But I wouldn't have minded if they had gone for opt in and at least made me click somewhere before it appears in my music queue.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Beside there was no easy way to remove it before yesterday when Apple had to launch a support website and SOI Remove tool

There was too, you just didn't know how to do it.

Good god, this isn't some grand conspiracy where they exposed all your naughty Snapchat messages or sent your banking information to Nigerian scammers. They put a free album by a critically acclaimed band in your iTunes purchased items.

You have to keep in mind that the iTunes Music Store, iTunes itself, hell, even iOS... you don't own any of that. It's all licensed to you by Apple, and as long as they don't do anything illegal they can do with it as they wish. And - as mentioned earlier - you give Apple explicit permissions to do things like this when you breeze by the TOS and click Accept.

Next time... read the fine print.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

Good god, this isn't some grand conspiracy where they exposed all your naughty Snapchat messages or sent your banking information to Nigerian scammers. They put a free album by a critically acclaimed band in your iTunes purchased items.

You have to keep in mind that the iTunes Music Store, iTunes itself, hell, even iOS... you don't own any of that. It's all licensed to you by Apple, and as long as they don't do anything illegal they can do with it as they wish. And - as mentioned earlier - you give Apple explicit permissions to do things like this when you breeze by the TOS and click Accept.

Just out of curiosity, will you be fine with it if they load religious music into your account? Or political music? 5 albums? 1000 albums? Just because you like U2 doesn't mean everyone wants it in their account. It's nothing to do with the music itself; it's the principle. Insulting people didn't help prove your point.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, will you be fine with it if they load religious music into your account? Or political music? 5 albums? 1000 albums?

Honestly, no, because I don't use iTunes or the iOS Music app. I also have "show all music" and "automatic downloads" turned off. If I did use iTunes or the iOS Music app I still would not mind because I still would have "show all music" and "automatic downloads" turned off and I know how to hide the music so I never see it. Spotify FTW.

That said, do you honestly think I would hypocrisize myself by posting that I would not be fine with it? LOL.

Just because you like U2

I never said I liked U2. I said they're critically acclaimed and that a free album in your iTunes Purchased list is no big deal.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually enjoyed the album. Played it in the background at the end of my shift. A softer than some of their older stuff. But it was enjoyable.

With that being said, I don't know why they and Apple thought "gifting" people with the album would be warmly received.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

You've got no idea how good it feels to read a comment like yours. Thanks for being realistic and able to write down something seriously good. It was needed. I've got no idea why, but it's impossible to say something positive about Apple or Apple related products on this forum. I'm guessing that we all know Apple's the superior over Microsoft, desktops, phones, gadgets, tablets and operating systems and we would love to get Apple hardware for Microsoft prices. But hey, that ain't gonna happen.

Apple's iTunes Store got a huge deal with U2. Some hate U2, some love. But when did the Zune Music Store (Anyone? HELLO?!) or Microsoft Music Store (whatever ... ) do anything like this? Indeed, never.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Apple's iTunes Store got a huge deal with U2. Some hate U2, some love. But when did the Zune Music Store (Anyone? HELLO?!) or Microsoft Music Store (whatever ... ) do anything like this? Indeed, never.

Yeah, this isn't about Apple or U2. It's about people not wanting their libraries changed without their knowledge or permission. There's a reason Microsoft (and Google) don't do that.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
.. have it for a week now, the tempers has died down, the dust has settled, etc etc
whatever the methodology they used to have it ended up on my 920... I must admit there is a cluster of great songs in there... After the dip in NLOTH, the is pretty good...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077