09-23-2014 04:26 AM
39 12
tools
    Just wanted to know everybody s thoughts on automatic addition of U2 album in people s iTunes and iCloud account ..and auto download on devices who opted for that....
    09-14-2014 03:55 AM
    I wouldn't want it, but I don't care for U2.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-14-2014 04:18 AM
    Nothing impresses me about the new iPhone and this strikes me as the most useless gimmick of the lot.

I have nothing against U2 or even Apple, but it's clear Apple have lost the initiative and rather sad that they think associating themselves with U2 would make them look cool.

Hopefully Apple have the clout to make NFC payments work, but otherwise it's time to move on, there's nothing to see.
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-14-2014 05:14 AM
    Did U2 ever stop being horrible?

...I suppose the same kind of people who buy BEATS (and have the nerve to call themselves "audiophiles") when there's far superior Sennheisers for $100~$150 less would like some crap like U2.
    akshaypn and link68759 like this.
    09-14-2014 07:09 AM
    I have never managed to see anything to like about U2, I agree with the person who posted somewhere on the web that their system had been infected by the U2 virus.

Bob
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-14-2014 07:15 AM
    I am actually a sufferer of this spam bomb.. I have ipod touch and without my knowledge and permission Apple added this album in to my iTunes and iCloud.. And it started playing randomly when I was listening to my music... Beauty of this fiasco is there is no free way to completely delete this from your cloud... You can only hide it... And you have to pay for iTunes Match services to get delete album from cloud option... I first creeped out when the album started playing on its own, then pissed when I had to spend quite a time to just hide it and finally felt frustrated that I can't get rid of my purchase list or cloud without paying... actually I saw this as an invasion of my privacy and space and as an awful morally corrupt way to do advertising and promotions.... In the end I realized I never really needed this ipod touch or any association with Apple Inc.. Ya it pushed me this far...

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    09-14-2014 08:30 AM
    I am actually a sufferer of this spam bomb.. I have ipod touch and without my knowledge and permission Apple added this album in to my iTunes and iCloud.. And it started playing randomly when I was listening to my music... Beauty of this fiasco is there is no free way to completely delete this from your cloud... You can only hide it... And you have to pay for iTunes Match services to get delete album from cloud option... I first creeped out when the album started playing on its own, then pissed when I had to spend quite a time to just hide it and finally felt frustrated that I can't get rid of my purchase list or cloud without paying... actually I saw this as an invasion of my privacy and space and as an awful morally corrupt way to do advertising and promotions.... In the end I realized I never really needed this ipod touch or any association with Apple Inc.. Ya it pushed me this far...

I didn't realize you couldn't delete it. Much more understandable why people are so ticked off.
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-14-2014 08:49 AM
    You couldn't from iCloud and your purchase history unless you pay for iTunes Match... And yes some people who have auto download option on could not even delete it from their iDevices by swiping from right to left... There was no delete option for this albums songs like you get for other songs in your library.. Spooky sneaky and tech fail all at once...

09-14-2014 09:00 AM
    A little fact checking is in order here: you CAN delete the album on your iPhone. You CAN also delete the album from your purchased list through iTunes. You CAN do both without iTunes Match. A simple Bing/Google/Whatever search gives full instructions on how to do both.
    09-14-2014 10:33 AM
    I didn't find anything... Even the Apple CS rep has told me there is no way to delete it from iCloud ... I found one solution to delete it from iCloud but that requires me to have iTunes Match.. I think I should have taken the screen shots of my chats with CS... Point to note is I am talking about complete delete not just hide...

09-14-2014 01:25 PM
    And for the devices and iTunes thing I already said the traditional method didn't work in some cases.. I was more griped at the iCloud thing cause everytime I chose show all music, those songs were coming back in my library...

09-14-2014 01:32 PM
    I deleted it from my iCloud, iTunes, and my device without an issue. You're doing it wrong.
    09-14-2014 03:10 PM
    That's classic, you are doing it wrong.. Lol.. But I am not... I am sure.. The songs are not appearing in my library anymore but I know they are there in my cloud and I can see them if I want to.

k72 likes this.
    09-14-2014 09:23 PM
    Do you use iTunes Match?? And could you describe the process step by step??

09-14-2014 09:25 PM
    I deleted it from my iCloud, iTunes, and my device without an issue. You're doing it wrong.
    So at least tell them how. Otherwise, why should they believe you?
    k72 and akshaypn like this.
    09-15-2014 03:52 AM
    80's U2: quite ok
    later U2: waste of broadband
    09-15-2014 04:28 AM
    Here is my proof that you can't delete without iTunes Match.

Attached Thumbnails 26428.jpg  
    09-15-2014 06:00 AM
    After the announcement, I fired up the PC that has itunes on it (a VM because I think itunes is indeed that bad) and downloaded the U2 CD. I never was a big U2 fan, but my wife really likes em, so I downloaded it for her. I didn't listen to anything from it yet.
    link68759 and akshaypn like this.
    09-15-2014 12:57 PM
    So at least tell them how. Otherwise, why should they believe you?
    I don't care if they believe me or not. :)

That said, evidently Apple released a website to address this issue. You can read about it on iMore (Apple lets iTunes users delete free U2 album from music library and purchases | iMore). There's also a link in that article which summarizes what I did to get rid of it from my iTunes and iPhone.

Basically it boils down to downloading the album to your iPhone if "show all music" is on and "automatic downloads" is off. Once you've done that, then you can swipe to delete the songs/album on the iPhone. Then you go into iTunes and open up the Purchased list in the iTunes Store, and click the little X in the upper-left corner of the album artwork.

If both "show all music" and "automatic downloads" is on, you can just delete the album from your iPhone and hide it in your iTunes Purchased list by clicking the little X.

If "show all music" and "automatic downloads" are both off, you only have to hide it in iTunes.

It's really not that hard, and it's really not that big of a deal.
    09-15-2014 09:47 PM
    It's really not that hard, and it's really not that big of a deal.

It seems to me that if they needed to create a website to deal with the issue, then obviously there is a large number of people who didn't know how to remove the album and did feel like it was rather a big deal to have music they didn't want added to their library.
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-15-2014 10:46 PM
    Dude, they have to set up a whole Web page to help people remove this album... Lol... So apparently it was a big deal for people.. They don't want anyone to mess with their cloud account and put anything into it without their permission... Don't force anything on people, don't take away their right to choose..

k72 likes this.
    09-15-2014 10:58 PM
    Apple really dropped the ball on this one. Sure there is no issue with providing the album for free, however it should be up to the user to request the album not have apple automatically deploy it to every users iTunes account without approval.

In addition to this they could have possibly saved some cash. Rather than paying U2 millions of dollars to give it to everyone without their consent, they could have made it available for $0.00 in the iTunes store and then paid U2 a certain amount for each person that actually took advantage of it and downloaded the album.
    akshaypn and k72 like this.
    09-16-2014 12:45 AM
    I'm a lifelong U2 fan. Saw them in the early 80s when they released their Boy album. World domination beckons..
    .. but this maneuver by them/iTunes does leave a bad after taste.
    akshaypn likes this.
    09-16-2014 05:40 AM
    I don't understand why people get so frustrated. You don't get it on your phone, the only thing is that there's a link to download the album if you want to. You gave Apple permission to do so when you agreed with the terms, which you didn't read. And now people all start to scream it's wrong to deliver albums to you for free.

Funny thing, all the screamers don't like U2. I guess they won't make a sound when their favorite band got free on their phone.

Apple really dropped the ball on this one. Sure there is no issue with providing the album for free, however it should be up to the user to request the album not have apple automatically deploy it to every users iTunes account without approval.

In addition to this they could have possibly saved some cash. Rather than paying U2 millions of dollars to give it to everyone without their consent, they could have made it available for $0.00 in the iTunes store and then paid U2 a certain amount for each person that actually took advantage of it and downloaded the album.
    What if Apple had proposed that but U2 didn't agree with that?
    iamtim likes this.
    09-16-2014 06:21 AM
    I don't understand why people get so frustrated. You don't get it on your phone, the only thing is that there's a link to download the album if you want to. You gave Apple permission to do so when you agreed with the terms, which you didn't read. And now people all start to scream it's wrong to deliver albums to you for free.

Funny thing, all the screamers don't like U2. I guess they won't make a sound when their favorite band got free on their phone.

What if Apple had proposed that but U2 didn't agree with that?
    Maybe it was written in the small prints and it's legal by law but morally and ethically it was wrong to force something on this many people.. And the album did get downloaded for those who chose auto download option which cost them data charges.. Beside there was no link, no email.. The album was there in my playlist ( via cloud) when I had put my ipod on shuffle and was listening to my music.. I didn't feel good when it started streaming and playing.. Beside there was no easy way to remove it before yesterday when Apple had to launch a support website and SOI Remove tool... I think it's good that people made such uproar about it, hopefully now they will go for opt-in and not opt out. I have no love or hate for U2. But Apple and Bono did this to set some record.. (Never ever in the history before so many people..........) So, it was a gift but not a gift, they had their agenda behind it.. But I wouldn't have minded if they had gone for opt in and at least made me click somewhere before it appears in my music queue.

09-16-2014 09:12 AM
39 12