I'm not going to rail at Microsoft. I'm not going to rail at LG. I'm railing today at gravity. Gravity, and gravity alone, is responsible for the premature death of my LG G3. As a Project Manager, it is my responsibility that jobs get done as planned, under budget and with 100% safety compliance. It is normally not my job to be a flagman for a crane bringing in a multi-million dollar hyperbaric chamber through a temporary opening on the side of a hospital some 14 floors up. Being so close to a radiological unit, phone signals get jacked up sometimes and that's the nature of lead-wall beasts.

So there I am, right at the edge of the building (sh****ng bricks due to fear of heights) with my safety harness on, directing the crane with hand signals when I notice the operator can't see me. The payload has his view of me obstructed so I move to the other side. Wouldn't you know it, a rigging strap grabbed hold of my Otterbox-protected beauty and ripped it off my waist. Seconds seemed like hours while I watched helplessly as my beauty dropped like a stone. I've never seen such an explosion of plastic and glass before, it was really kind of cool. I'm only thankful that LG didn't hit anybody as it sped toward Earth at 64'/sec/sec.

I am now in the market for another device as you might imagine. My backup 635 is back in action until a replacement is named. I've tried the 920, 1520, Ativ S Neo & my 635. I don't know what to get, I'd like a WP only because they have no resale value and can be had very cheap. No way I'm dropping (no pun intended) another $500 on another high-end Android.
    xandros9 and sahib lopez like this.
    09-30-2014 03:44 PM
    Love my 920. Two years into still works like new. Several drops with np case and still going strong. Although I suspect mine would be a pile of rubble from such a fall.
    09-30-2014 04:00 PM

I'm back on the horse after a week with the backup 635. I'm a pragmatic guy and I realize that I can't change the world so I scoured feeBay for a good deal. Found a "new other" Ativ S Neo that was being sold for $120 OBO. Got the seller to accept $95 w/shipping. USPS just delivered it yesterday and I was shocked to see it was literally new. Some of these NYC sellers aren't the most truthful but for the money, I couldn't go wrong. Three hours later after installing DP and all my apps, pairing my Note 8 and my PCs and logging into everything, I was set.

No more Otterboxes. No more fancy cases. It's going into my Husky pouch which holds my 2 phones, my wallet and my smokes. It's not a clip-on, it has a belt loop to keep it attached to my 38" waist (it was 31" just 3 decades ago, what happened?). The next time something wants to take my phone, it'll have to take me with it. If you see my posts disappear from here, you'll know what happened.
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-05-2014 01:04 PM
    ...and get down from there!!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-05-2014 01:12 PM
    Unfortunately, that's my job. Regardless of political affiliation, Obama stimulus money has kept me busy renovating decrepit hospitals into Veterinary-grade health care centers for 5 years now. I can't begin to tell you how proud I was to do the Miami VA project. Doing a pre-con walk-through left me almost in tears. The level of disrepair to the facility that "cares" for our kids in uniform was a real eye opener. They now have a state-of-the-art operating room with 9 ORs, the best recovery room equipment I've ever seen and a separate Cysto area.

We ***** and moan about our petty problems but we fail to realize that there's people out with bigger issues. Dropping a $500 phone is nothing if the end result means helping others.

That being said, I'm so over this heat in Miami. Perhaps if sweat wasn't running down my face, I may have been more attentive to my situation. The Northeast is starting to look favorable.
    Guytronic and sahib lopez like this.
    10-05-2014 02:09 PM