Media Server Ideas

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to build a media server to be able to stream my movies, music and pictures from anywhere or a tv. I am debating a couple of options and wondering what all your thoughts are:

1). Build an Ubuntu media server using Ubuntu server, low power and stable. Dedicated machine to just run as a server with all my stuff

2) Windows Server dedicated to media, no screen just like I would do with Ubuntu, dedicated media server.

3) install a 1TB or more :) HD in a desktop and run Plex. So I can access all my stuff on the go.

I am still doing all my research, but wanted to start soliciting thoughts from thus community.

Note: I am primarily a WP user, however I am not anti Linux, just no apple :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My home server runs Windows Home Server 2011, which was an excellent product that Microsoft has discontinued. I use it to store all of my media (Pics / MP3s / a few videos), documents, and the home server software automatically backs up my client PCs. I put five 1 TB hard drives into a RAID6 configuration, yielding me about 2.8 TB of usable space, but I can drop two hard drives without risking data loss, plus I use Crash Plan to back up the data from there, instead of the individual PCs in my network.

My solution is heavy and not for everybody, but I like it a lot. Although my server varies significantly from your needs, I'd still recommend using RAID for data protection.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My home server runs Windows Home Server 2011, which was an excellent product that Microsoft has discontinued. I use it to store all of my media (Pics / MP3s / a few videos), documents, and the home server software automatically backs up my client PCs. I put five 1 TB hard drives into a RAID6 configuration, yielding me about 2.8 TB of usable space, but I can drop two hard drives without risking data loss, plus I use Crash Plan to back up the data from there, instead of the individual PCs in my network.

My solution is heavy and not for everybody, but I like it a lot. Although my server varies significantly from your needs, I'd still recommend using RAID for data protection.

I read about RAID and that does seem like the beat option. On your configuration is there a way to view remotely on WP or tablet?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I can use remote desktop or a remote desktop or an app like TeamViewer to connect to the server if I'd like, or Microsoft offers a server companion app that I haven't used in a long time.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I want to build a media server to be able to stream my movies, music and pictures from anywhere or a tv. I am debating a couple of options and wondering what all your thoughts are:

1). Build an Ubuntu media server using Ubuntu server, low power and stable. Dedicated machine to just run as a server with all my stuff

2) Windows Server dedicated to media, no screen just like I would do with Ubuntu, dedicated media server.

3) install a 1TB or more :) HD in a desktop and run Plex. So I can access all my stuff on the go.

I am still doing all my research, but wanted to start soliciting thoughts from thus community.

Note: I am primarily a WP user, however I am not anti Linux, just no apple :)

How about using a dedicated NAS box?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I use Synology for this purpose + more. Currently has 9TB of disks.
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs