Do Americans say "goodbye" on the phone or just hit the call end button???

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
When us Brits watch US tv like Homeland and 24 they never say goodbye to each other, they just end the call, please can you lovely Americans answer this long lasting question?? 😁

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It probably depends on the region. Around me, people usually say "bye; see ya ;or I'll catch you later, man (although the last one is usually from my bros)". The shows probably just do that to be more dramatic or something.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yea I also noticed this in all the American movies. Very funny. They hang up when they feel like without any announcement.

They probably do this because the standard opening and closing is an uninteresting part of the conversation. It would be the same in every movie, bring attention away from the topic, add nothing to the plot and interrupt the feeling of the scene.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Most people I know consider it rude to just hang up - but some of us Americans are more rude than others, and most of us occasionally have reasons to be rude. I can be quite rude to telemarketers, for example.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Alright dude, bye
Later
See you
Bye
See you soon, bye
See you tomorrow, bye

Well these are some of the ending words I've used so far

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Ha, yes, we say bye, or some sort of closing phrase. It bothers me too that in tv and movies they just hang up. It's just one of those Hollywood things that probably has a reason behind it, like why all cartoon characters have only 4 fingers per hand.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
When us Brits watch US tv like Homeland and 24 they never say goodbye to each other, they just end the call, please can you lovely Americans answer this long lasting question?? 😁

It's TV...do Brits always call someone a "hunt" 😉 ? I hear that in almost every movie made in the UK.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I say Bye in some form to anyone I speak to unless its my ex wife. Admittedly, I do just hang up on her because she an evil blood sucking leech that I only speak to because we have children.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Haha Thanks everybody it has always bugged me why they don't say goodbye and I feel it is rude also but the one about the tv ads is probably right.

Yes "hunt" is a commonly used word to describe someone who is an *****, mainly women too which is sad but Tony Soprano used it in nearly every show if you've seen the Sopranos, greatest TV series of all time for me!!

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's TV...do Brits always call someone a "hunt" 😉 ? I hear that in almost every movie made in the UK.

Groovy name, Dude... Lol
I take it you misspelled it on purpose, right...?! They do tend to use it in our movies alot, and I do hear it in real life, but not nearly as much. Supposed to be really offensive, apparently....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Ha, yes, we say bye, or some sort of closing phrase. It bothers me too that in tv and movies they just hang up. It's just one of those Hollywood things that probably has a reason behind it, like why all cartoon characters have only 4 fingers per hand.

I only have 4 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand -go figure.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Texas here, I don't say "goodbye" or any kind of bye. Not even later gator or laterzzz or however the cool kids say it nowadays. I just say ok and I hang up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs