Good bye iPad Mini?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok...I will be honest...I like the mini. But that being said, it has nothing new to offer me over the years except a lot of updates and some quality apps.

I then happened the see the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro. I hope I've got the name right. It's the "Ashton Kutcher" tablet with a built-in Projector. Don't know what I need to project..but WTH.

Also, Lenovo has been my Favourite OEM lately. The hardware is so something that can give Apple a run for its money. Absolutely top notch.

Hence I come to this question and want to ask for your opinions, as I've never used a Windows Tablet before. So anyone who has used both or either, can help me make a choice...that is to say goodbye to Mini or keep it?

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
remember, at their core, you're looking at a big iPhone or a miniature PC. They both have pluses and minuses.

I would be torn. Touch gaming is more plentiful on the iPad side etc. But on the other hand, you have the possibility of things like Starcraft or Half-Life on Windows tablets. (albeit plugging in the mouse and keyboard might not be so great.

I'm going to leave this unfinished because I kinda ran out of steam. But its a point though.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I will be honest...I like the mini. But that being said, it has nothing new to offer me over the years except a lot of updates and some quality apps.

I then happened the see the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro. I hope I've got the name right. It's the "Ashton Kutcher" tablet with a built-in Projector. Don't know what I need to project..but WTH.

Also, Lenovo has been my Favourite OEM lately. The hardware is so something that can give Apple a run for its money. Absolutely top notch.

Hence I come to this question and want to ask for your opinions, as I've never used a Windows Tablet before. So anyone who has used both or either, can help me make a choice...that is to say goodbye to Mini or keep it?

I would go with a windows tablet hands down over the restricted I(whatever) ecosystem. You can accomplish so much more with a windows tablet like connecting USB devices directly, and use more than one. I plug my camera card reader, 2tb hard drive and printer in all at once and transfer, edit and print photos all from my vivotab RT tablet. Battery life is way better than my son's mini as well. I do like the ipad screen size/shape over the 16x9 layout of most other tablets. I don't know why they all use these screens. I guess its better for web browsing, but not as good for reading digital magazines.

But that is the only place where ipad has it over the windows tablets. Apps are pretty well a non issue now. I run all the important apps I ran when I was using apple and android.

Windows office 365, one drive etc works wonders as well. If I were you I would seriously look at the surface pro 3 too. that is the best windows tablet made atm. I don't like the yoga as the keyboard is not detachable. Makes for a bulky tablet when being used as just a tablet, and your keyboard is on the bottom when you do the "yoga" flip.

The surface pro with the powered keyboard is a much better option and one you should seriously look at. Full windows power in a super mobile package. I am getting one in the new year after xmas is settled down.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I would go with a windows tablet hands down over the restricted I(whatever) ecosystem. You can accomplish so much more with a windows tablet like connecting USB devices directly, and use more than one. I plug my camera card reader, 2tb hard drive and printer in all at once and transfer, edit and print photos all from my vivotab RT tablet. Battery life is way better than my son's mini as well. I do like the ipad screen size/shape over the 16x9 layout of most other tablets. I don't know why they all use these screens. I guess its better for web browsing, but not as good for reading digital magazines.

But that is the only place where ipad has it over the windows tablets. Apps are pretty well a non issue now. I run all the important apps I ran when I was using apple and android.

Windows office 365, one drive etc works wonders as well. If I were you I would seriously look at the surface pro 3 too. that is the best windows tablet made atm. I don't like the yoga as the keyboard is not detachable. Makes for a bulky tablet when being used as just a tablet, and your keyboard is on the bottom when you do the "yoga" flip.

The surface pro with the powered keyboard is a much better option and one you should seriously look at. Full windows power in a super mobile package. I am getting one in the new year after xmas is settled down.

Thanks Steve for the reply. I know what you are saying and where you are coming from. Honestly, the SP3 is very very very bulky for me. The Mini was my first choice for only one reason, size. Both in weight and dimension. The Yoga too is by far the best tablet I've seen after the Mini. The display looks crisp, the form factor is superb and the weight is just awesome. The looks, are to die for. I cursed Microsoft last time when I bought it for someone who sold it in 2 weeks. Why? Well, there is this bad, ugly OS on it that starts with A and ends with D.

You however mentioned one of my greatest fears. Digital magazines readability. And ebooks, I am assuming is no different. I have a brilliant collection on my Mini on both the apps, iBooks and Kindle. They also have the awesome page-turn feature. Now this isn't a deal breaker in anyway, but is also a much loved feature at the same time.

I also do a lot of surfing, and watching videos. I all, the Mini has lasted me about 2 years without failing even once. The App collection, let's face it, is groundbreaking. With tons of games STILL being made for iOS first (Monument Valley is my latest fav).

Overall, the Mini is still robust. But I want to willingly shift sides and see what Microsoft has to offer as I am a true fan and was waiting for a device like this.

I haven't seen it yet in real, but I soon will.

Thanks a lot for your reply once again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs