Forgive me ... for I have sinned.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have been a near religious user of Windows Phone for many years now. In chronological order, I've owned

• Lumia 800
  • HTC 8X
  • Lumia 1020
  • Lumia 930

My last phone before a whole list of WP's was an iPhone 3GS. I got bored with iOS and wanted something new. WP was a breath of fresh air from the beginning and although it had its shortcomings, with every new update my wishes were (at least mostly) rewarded.

But then ... I got an invite from a friend for a Oneplus One.

Having never used an Android phone before, this has been quite an exhilarating experience. The differences with WP are even more clear due to the fact that I am almost perfectly comparing apples to apples: the L930 and Oneplus One are very similarly specced devices on paper.

• Snapdragon 801
  • +/- 5 inch 1080p screen
  • Metal frame
  • Not the ultimate camera...
  • etc ...

Having only used this phone for about a week, I can already see that it will take some rather drastic improvements for me to go back to Windows Phone. Here are my main reasons:

• Regardless of this phone having very similar processing power, Android is just faster. Apps open a lot faster and whatever task you can imagine is just that tiny little bit more fluent.
  • Inter-app communication. I am frankly amazed to see how apps talk to each other in Android.
  • Apps and availability in general ... Perhaps the biggest breath of fresh air and should be no surprise to anyone...
  • Personalization: WP8.0 improved things somewhat, but no-one will deny that the level of customisation possible on Android is unparalleled.

I could keep adding things to the list above, but that's not the point. Especially with the very near upgrade to Lollipop, I believe my WP days are over. I will never sell my 1020, because frankly it's the coolest phone ever made and will occasionally slip my SIM inside it for taking it to certain events.

Sorry guys :cry:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I absolve you of your sins :p

Jokes..in all seriousness I am also open to the idea of trying out Android. I'll be in the market for a new phone soon and will be looking at my options. Been a long time WP supporter. Will be interested to see how things play out.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Say 3 Hail Mary's and drink three beers. OK, now you are forgiven. Good luck with Android. I sold my Dell Venue 8 and bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to compliment my 1520. I'll hang with both until I am distracted by something better.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh and one more thing ... Live tiles ... they are nice, but not really more than eye candy. The only useful one for me was my calendar showing my next appointment + location. Widgets with interaction? Now that's a whole other ball game.

EDIT: the above forces me to point out one thing though ... I've yet to find an Android calendar app as good as the built-in WP one. How it merges with Exchange is flawless and very easy on the eye, especially week view.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
It is not like you are changing wife or best friend.
It just a phone, enjoy and choose what you like.

I changed android after 3 yrs and I'm enjoying in windows phone for couple of months.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I like the look of lollypop, but I like having the integration with the xbox / tablet / pc. Also raw support for the camera... Basically the 1020...

We use android work phones, you should be pretty well looked after by your 1+1...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been a near religious user of Windows Phone for many years now. In chronological order, I've owned

• Lumia 800
  • HTC 8X
  • Lumia 1020
  • Lumia 930

My last phone before a whole list of WP's was an iPhone 3GS. I got bored with iOS and wanted something new. WP was a breath of fresh air from the beginning and although it had its shortcomings, with every new update my wishes were (at least mostly) rewarded.

But then ... I got an invite from a friend for a Oneplus One.

Having never used an Android phone before, this has been quite an exhilarating experience. The differences with WP are even more clear due to the fact that I am almost perfectly comparing apples to apples: the L930 and Oneplus One are very similarly specced devices on paper.

• Snapdragon 801
  • +/- 5 inch 1080p screen
  • Metal frame
  • Not the ultimate camera...
  • etc ...

Having only used this phone for about a week, I can already see that it will take some rather drastic improvements for me to go back to Windows Phone. Here are my main reasons:

• Regardless of this phone having very similar processing power, Android is just faster. Apps open a lot faster and whatever task you can imagine is just that tiny little bit more fluent.
  • Inter-app communication. I am frankly amazed to see how apps talk to each other in Android.
  • Apps and availability in general ... Perhaps the biggest breath of fresh air and should be no surprise to anyone...
  • Personalization: WP8.0 improved things somewhat, but no-one will deny that the level of customisation possible on Android is unparalleled.

I could keep adding things to the list above, but that's not the point. Especially with the very near upgrade to Lollipop, I believe my WP days are over. I will never sell my 1020, because frankly it's the coolest phone ever made and will occasionally slip my SIM inside it for taking it to certain events.

Sorry guys :cry:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Man be happy about it :) it's just phones, enjoy best of Microsoft and Google on it :)

In addition Microsoft is friendly to Android OS and as I now came to love MS services I just use them there. Like Satya said, it's not about hardware they want to achieve, it's their software experience they want to have across all mobile devices. That's the meaning of Mobile & Cloud first world.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, you picked a nice device. I have a 1520 in addition to the OPO and it is a very good compliment to each other. As much as I think Windows 10 may be the start of a real difference maker for MSFT, it is OK for people not to wait around in the meantime...we all have to use the OS that best fits our needs in the moment.

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos