Do we really need the web apps?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
For a few years, people have been asking for official apps to their wants or needs. While usually these apps are answered they are in the form iOS or Android, we the Windows Phone users get left out most of the time, either they do release it but never update it, or they just don't.

So people want apps, but do we really need them? While an official app that's basically a mobile website app would help iOS and Android because of their lack of fast access to these websites. We as Windows Phone users have always had an advantage to it. As more and more web developers design their websites for mobile access, we get rewarded for it, indirectly.

wp_ss_20141201_0001.png

Internet Explorer allows us to pin these websites directly to our home screen. So we don't really need these apps. After all most of the official apps are just mobile websites in an app wrapping or the official websites can do the same functions as their apps. So while the Windows Phone store might not have over a million apps, let us be grateful that we have Internet Explorer that'll allow us to pin our needs and desires from the web and onto the home screen for a quick and easy access.

Think of it this way. An iOS or Android user would require a few seconds to go to the home screen, scroll the pages if it's not on their main, tap the icon to open it, wait a few seconds to load and then ready to go. OR go to their browser, type in the website they wish to look at and then wait a few seconds to load it.

Windows Phone users? Tap Start, scroll down, open website, wait a few seconds, done. While these are just a few seconds saved, to some people it's crucial to have access to information as fast as possible.

Most of you will wonder why I am posting this? To be honest, they're two reasons. First it's because I wanted to write more about Windows Phone and express my opinions. Second reason is related to the first, my English isn't the best but writing things will help me improve my English writing. I honestly would like to work on some news team (Windows Central or others) So I'm starting to write proper English.

Last edited:

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Pinned websites are nice. But there is a lot of room for improvement on Windows Phones related to this.
E. g., a pinned website should open in full screen mode.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
True but wouldn't the reading mode technically count as full screen?

Yes and no. But mainly no. Reading mode is no option if you want to use a social, chat, map or otherwise interactive app. It could work for news apps. And there you have to wait until it's fully loaded and sometimes it doesn't work.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes and no. But mainly no. Reading mode is no option if you want to use a social, chat, map or otherwise interactive app. It could work for news apps. And there you have to wait until it's fully loaded and sometimes it doesn't work.

True, to be honest I rarely use Reading Mode, even on news sites :p But that could be an interesting suggestion for the new version of IE. Just tap to bring up the address bar and voila full screen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
True, to be honest I rarely use Reading Mode, even on news sites :p But that could be an interesting suggestion for the new version of IE. Just tap to bring up the address bar and voila full screen.

I only use Reading Mode on sites where the formatting is bad, ie if there text is tiny or the paragraphs don't wrap on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss