What browser do you use on your PC?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's funny because I was talking to my co-worker the other day about me using IE as my primary browser, he was like wtf IE is horrible. I told him if he even used the latest version IE 11 he was like no.... Well there's your problem you're judging something you never tried.

I primarily use IE 11 and if the site isn't fully compatible with it then it's Firefox.

I'm very surprised IE11 is embraced by many users in this thread. IE has been fine since IE9 and every version since improves with extraordinarily huge steps forward. The specter of IE6 still hangs over it though, and you will find that hating IE is basically a verbal meme. Glad to see on windowscentral we have a lot of people who have actually tried it before forming an opinion.

IE and chrome as a rare second. Used to use Firefox exclusively but it just started getting slower and buggier.

Recently (within the last few months recently) firefox has gotten much faster, and it will be even faster once the multi-process feature comes out of nightly and into mainstream.

Google Chrome is faster but I use Firefox because it feels warmer to use and I like the UI and features
Everybody says that Chrome is faster, but it has always gotten slower for me quickly.
Firefox, IE.

Chrome eat your RAM.

I have not seriously tested chrome since it was objectively light and fast (some years ago), but word on the street is that google has made it fat and firefox is actually slimmer and faster now. I do know that chrome is still the only browser capable of being stable under intense rendering performance... but hopefully that will change. (read my footnote)
I believe chrome caches itself upon computer startup so it can start faster (like IE does), but firefox doesn't, which means it will take another second to open, giving the relative illusion of slowness.

Mostly use Firefox as well. Only time I use IE is on my WP.
I also like the way it syncs across devices, even my bookmarks toolbar. But in the syncing options, what does the syncing tabs selection mean? I was under the impression it would sync open/pinned tabs, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Syncing tabs just keeps a list of tabs in a special menu under history called "view tabs from other devices". You can get to it by typing this in the address bar: about:sync-tabs
Just a PSA, there's an app for WP called CloudFox that lets you access the firefox sync server and peek into your firefox tabs, history, bookmarks, etc from WP. It comes in handy sometimes, so I always keep it installed on my phone.
Cloudfox | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I hate how Chrome opens up multiple processes for tabs ... I'm all FF !

Don't get too cozy, firefox is working on multiple processes for tabs- the last of the three browsers to not have it, so they're pretty late. But it will come, because it is an objectively beneficial feature with no downsides, and firefox desperately needs it.

-footnote-
*I have a 144Hz monitor and I was using this site to benchmark it: Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests
IE11 doesn't support rendering higher than 60FPS, so I can't use it to benchmark the monitor. Firefox can display 144FPS, but it cannot maintain it evenly. It keeps jumping from 130-144 every few seconds. Chrome is able to sustain a perfect 144FPS for prolonged periods of time. Moreover the in the scrolling test, firefox just cannot render scrolling text well at any framerate (the stuttering is atrocious) while chrome does it perfectly. These things really aren't important though (well the text scrolling is kind of important but firefox will eventually get there) so I don't use chrome ever, except for specifically that site. To IE's credit, it does everything perfectly at 60FPS and apparently higher framerates will be supported in the next release.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Just to those saying it eats up RAM:

Random Access Memory (RAM) is supposed to be used up. A program may use to much of it, But the program could be doing things that benefit you. (Exp: OneDrive: Silently Uploads Photos and uses more RAM). You really shouldn't be worried about RAM unless A. You have a phone, B. You have 3 GB or less on your PC.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just to those saying it eats up RAM:

Random Access Memory (RAM) is supposed to be used up. A program may use to much of it, But the program could be doing things that benefit you. (Exp: OneDrive: Silently Uploads Photos and uses more RAM). You really shouldn't be worried about RAM unless A. You have a phone, B. You have 3 GB or less on your PC.

Or if you have a device that relies on battery power, as more RAM being used means more power drained.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
IE mostly. It has proven to be the most reliable since version 10. And as a web developer, I'm thankful that at least a single browser out there stays strict to the standards. I hate webkit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)