Would a Jailbreak a-la iOS bring more people to Windows Phone?

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So I just got an iPhone 6 plus through work (free..dont worry my Lumia 930 still has my sim card in it) and while i'm a Windows Phone lover through and through, it's been real nice not feeling like a second class citizen in regards to apps. I always said "I have what I need", but it really does feel like moving from a hatchback to a coupe browsing the app store. Anyway I digress.

Using the iPhone (I jailbroke it right away) took me back to the old days when I used to buy iPhones each generation; jailbreaking it and adding all of those tweaks, improving the OS, making custom HTML lockscreens etc. While not officially sanctioned by apple, the customisation is what made the phone (and experience) great

So I got to thinking; couldn't a jailbreak do the same thing for Windows Phone? Does anyone think that if there was a Jailbreak, and the community could modify the OS in the same way (scrollable toggles in the action centre anyone??) do you think it would actually bring more power users to Windows Phone? *shrugs* Just thoughts.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you think so? Don't think there is a market of users who would like the customisation it would bring? I mean there are a LOT of iOS users who run jail broken devices?

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering why there isn't already...I mean is apple so incompetent they can't plug the hole? Or is no one trying enough on windows phone? Maybe I just don't understand the technical aspect of it :p ha

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok windows those 7 was jailbreaked so to peak and there was roms for hd2, truth is they fizzled out with the security chips in 8, the tweaks they did in the roms said it was faster but realistically you couldn't tell!

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that someone has managed to 'jail break' WIndows Phone. Might have been this:Windows Phone 8 jailbreak teased on Lumia 920 | Pocketnow

We all know what happens when programs have access to system files on desktop Windows; do we want WinPhone to become mired in malware, too? That's what will happen if there is a readily available jail break. IMHO.

It's a valid concern, but I think a bit of an overreaction. I know it's anecdotal but in my 3 years using iPhones (jail broken) my device was never "riddled with malware".

I did manage to find a thread on xda showing the progress...Clearly it's proving more difficult than iOS :p

jorden vanmeensel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I think yes! All the Apple (iOS based) products I own or ever owned are/were jailbroken. I would definitly like the ability to tinker with the OS just to make it 100% compatible with my needs. The standard OS does a decend job of that but sometimes I wish I had a little more customisation options. I recently was forced to use an iPhone 4S because my Lumia 925 was broken and now I miss the quick menu (swipe up from the bottom of the screen on iOS).

Gaps like these could be filled with a jailbroken OS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon