Perfect Smartphone Size

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I've always had phones around 4.7, and picked up a 5" Nokia XL. It was enormous.

Then recently I got a 530. The 4" screen showed me what I was missing. Being able to hold and use a phone in one hand. Its so much smaller and more comfortable to use. There's nothing wrong with 5" though.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a 521 and have found that it is much harder to type on than larger phone due to the small screen size. My friend's Xperia Z2 has 5 inches and I have found the media experience is much better.
I agree that one handed use is near impossible though, but it is not too much of a problem for me.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The 4.5" of the 920 is a nice balance of screen size and one handed useability for me. Although I sometimes envy those larger screen sizes.

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my Lumia 520's 4" but I've hold and used free devices like galaxy s3 and I found that huge. Of course it's been a while and I would take screen up to 5". Not more. 4,5-4,7 would be perfect.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is such a subjective subject, and everyone will have their own opinion. There is, of course, no right answer other than what is right for you.

I have tried a number of sizes in hand to test them out, and have found that with my wide hands and short, thick fingers, that a 4" is the perfect size for me. Any larger and I'm constantly dropping it unless I use 2 hands while using it.

It doesn't however, appear to be big enough to do any serious browsing. However, a few quick peeks while I'm out and about is okay, but if I want to do anything serious, even a 6" screen isn't big enough for me. I prefer a larger platform for things most people do on a smart phone. 15.6" laptop minimum. I could see using an 11" tablet for casual browsing, or reading an e-book, but not for anything that requires me to enter text. For that, I want my full laptop. SP3 is even too small for me for that.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Bigger the better. I love the size of my 1520. But I also like the relatively small size of my 930 so I can fit it in a pocket easily.

I think 5.7 inches is the sweet spot for me right now

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
4.5 is great for me. Not small, not huge. No fighting to reach the top of the screen, no slipping when using with a single hand. But i wouldn't mind trying out a 5", like the 830.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say a 4.5" display would be fine if the device was a big smaller than the 920 since its a bit too big. Albeit workable.

I'd say a 4.3" display would be good for me, and maybe even something smaller. I honestly want to see more compact-yet-high-end or at least mid-range devices like what Sony did with its Z1/3 Compacts and HP with its quality Veer. (although a bit extreme with the Veer.)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the phone itself. The G3 has a 5.5 display but a very compact footprint. The M8 is a very tall phone so even though it's easy to grab with one hand, reaching the top of the screen can be hard for some. I have large enough meathooks that I could one-hand the 1520 but it's not something I like doing all the time. I like what LG has done with the rear button placement. It allows ultra thin bezels for max screen-to-body ratios.

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Depends on the phone itself. The G3 has a 5.5 display but a very compact footprint. The M8 is a very tall phone so even though it's easy to grab with one hand, reaching the top of the screen can be hard for some. I have large enough meathooks that I could one-hand the 1520 but it's not something I like doing all the time. I like what LG has done with the rear button placement. It allows ultra thin bezels for max screen-to-body ratios.

Thank god someone on here actually understands that it is phone size not screen size that matters. We all have an ideal phone size and we all want the maximum screen in that body. For me it is about 70mm wide and about 140mm tall. My G2 squeezes a 5.2 inch screen in these dimensions and I will be waiting quite a bit to see that bettered. Companies like Sony and Apple just get it all wrong with huge bezels. Windows Phone is moving the right way virtual controls, finally catching up with Android.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
5 inch screen all the way, but I'd enjoy a 5.5-6 inch too when it comes to Media, Browsing and of course Gaming :) so it's hard to choose to be honest.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I want a phone that stretches on demand. :D

I found the G3 too big for any sort of reasonable one handed operation. The Icon is marginal at 5" but my eyes are going so the 928 at 4.5" is a bit small. Get off my lawn!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion