Old Geezers Lounge and Club.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
"Girlfriend" - The original carrier postpaid contract....

LOL, I like that one. Oh, man, and talk about early termination issues? Way worse than the fees of today.

I was already married by the time an Amiga came out. My first girlfriend was, oh, man... I'm about afraid to admit what year it was. 1970. First time I really went steady though wasn't until 1975. By 1977, I decided I'd had enough of life with a contract that kept costing me, so I went with a different carrier every week. ;) By 1979 I bought my first car (after saving up for ages), which allowed me to more easily upgrade to a better model girlfriend on a regular basis.

If your first computer wasn't until the 1990s, you're not a geezer. At least not geek geezer.

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Haha I love it. My brother got our 1st computer which was an Atari 64 and he was going on about this game that "talks to you" it basically was played the same way as mass effect where you have to select the conversation... So I waited to he went... And there I was... Trying to have a vocal conversation to the "talking" game haha. But man... The big thing back then was how easy it was to pirate games by just pressing play on one tape and record on the other... And that's it.. Copy of game cassette done. Wiped out half of my brothers games by getting it the wrong way round and having bros songs on he's games lol. Then came the Amiga A1200 he had.... He was so selfish and wouldn't let me play... So I got the floppy disk games and put them between the floor boards never to be found again lol. Then came the NES (actually that was before the Amiga) and we got the duck hunt collection and this robot that interacts with the Nintendo. No idea what the hell it did so I just used it as an extra transformer toy. Snapped the hand off, and.... Ran like the wind when I heard my brother come in the house haha. But my 1st personal computer was the snes.... Back in them days you get the odd glitch but never anything bad. Still brings a tear to my eyes. I like to google stuff like "laptop in the 90's" just to see how far tech has evolved. So fascinating the tech we had back then listed as "the future"

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If your first computer wasn't until the 1990s, you're not a geezer. At least not geek geezer.

I think I just made the cut.

Our household got its first computer in the early 80's. A C64. My dad refused to purchase games, but said I could play anything I was able to program. That's part of what started me off on my software engineering career. But my own first computer... 1988 (worked my rear end off during school holidays to be able to afford one).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Does a Tandy TRS-80 count as geezer material? I believe I bought it around 1981 maybe '82, I was out of high school and entertaining the idea of college.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077