09-21-2016 07:13 AM
477 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Yes, It's very sad.

LOL! One of the reasons I like Ancient Aliens is their hypotheses on past biblical events, as outlandish as they may be, seems so much more plausible in my mind. Like, he wasn't talking to burning bush, it was an alien or he couldn't have built an ark that big, it was a spaceship.

...but like I said, so many of their hypotheses are extremely far fetched at best, but from time to time they bring up a good point which is hard to solve. I guess it lets me Sci-Fi fantasize a bit.
    Have a read of this - Noah's ark was round ? so the ancient tablet tells us | Books | The Guardian

If you can find the full episode, check it out - The Real Noah's Ark: Secret History - Channel 4
    palandri and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2015 09:09 AM
    Yes, It's very sad.

LOL! One of the reasons I like Ancient Aliens is their hypotheses on past biblical events, as outlandish as they may be, seems so much more plausible in my mind. Like, he wasn't talking to burning bush, it was an alien or he couldn't have built an ark that big, it was a spaceship.

...but like I said, so many of their hypotheses are extremely far fetched at best, but from time to time they bring up a good point which is hard to solve. I guess it lets me Sci-Fi fantasize a bit.
    Also hallucinations is a big thought about what could have caused a lot of the sightings. Apparently lots of hallucinogenic substances were commonly consumed back then.
    02-16-2015 09:10 AM
    Switzerland. The same country that hosts CERN (mind blowing place btw)....
    We're are going to learn a lot from that particle collider.
    N_LaRUE and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2015 09:14 AM
    Like which ones blow up and which ones don't
    02-16-2015 09:17 AM
    It's about to get going again soon.
    02-16-2015 09:18 AM
    Like which ones blow up and which ones don't
    I assume that was a joke?
    02-16-2015 09:18 AM
    I often find in most countries it seems once you're out of a city the trend for religious thinking increases. The smaller the town the higher the chance of highly religious communities to flourish. I've seen this in many countries, it is a bit anecdotal but so far I'm hitting about 100%.

Maybe that would explain it. There are no large cities here. The largest is home to about a million people.

I'm not really sure why an area being more urban or rural should make a difference though. If those differences coincide with cultural or educational differences, then I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Culturally, excluding immigrants, the country is rather homogenous, and education levels are rather high everywhere. At least as good as Germany, which is higher up in those rankings.
    N_LaRUE, palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-16-2015 09:30 AM
    Also hallucinations is a big thought about what could have caused a lot of the sightings. Apparently lots of hallucinogenic substances were commonly consumed back then.
    That could be a whole new series, Ancient Hallucinogens.
    a5cent, N_LaRUE and Guytronic like this.
    02-16-2015 09:33 AM
    Maybe that would explain it. There are no large cities here. The largest is home to about of a million people.
    I'm not really sure why an area being more urban or rural should make a difference though. If those differences coincide with cultural or educational differences, then I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Culturally, excluding immigrants, the country is rather homogenous, and education levels are rather high everywhere.
    I'm not entirely sure why it is. In Finland they have a large almost Amish like community in the northern areas. In Australia you get fundamental religious areas in the farming communities typically. In Canada it's similar to Australia. Here in the UK it's a mix bag because there's a lot of religious schools with high academic qualifications but still teach things properly, for the most part.
    a5cent, palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-16-2015 09:37 AM
    It's about to get going again soon.
    I can wait! We're going to learn a lot from it. I can see a collision compressing a particle so tightly that they create fusion. Could they possible create a mini black hole? Lots to learn.
    Last edited by palandri; 02-16-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    N_LaRUE, a5cent and Guytronic like this.
    02-16-2015 09:41 AM
    That could be a whole new series, Ancient Hallucinogens.
    I recalled a story about it but none of the articles I found were very good.

There's the possibility a lot of the things are mostly legends and stories with some 'truth' mixed in.
    02-16-2015 09:45 AM
    I recalled a story about it but none of the articles I found were very good.

There's the possibility a lot of the things are mostly legends and stories with some 'truth' mixed in.
    I guess my parents taught me to think in a very methodical way. I suppose I was 6 or 7 when I first heard the ark story and it generated a question every 10 seconds into the story. Like, wait a minute, one guy went all around the world and collect two of every animal? How is that possible? All the animals came willingly? He brought enough food for 40 days?...etc...
    N_LaRUE, a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 09:57 AM
    I guess my parents taught me to think in a very methodical way. I suppose I was 6 or 7 when I first heard the ark story and it generated a question every 10 seconds into the story. Like, wait a minute, one guy went all around the world and collect two of every animal? How is that possible? All the animals came willingly? He brought enough food for 40 days?...etc...
    I remember that experience too. I was around 9 and my thoughts revolved around the question why Noah needed to be involved at all? For an entity that could just flick their wrist and instantly remove unwanted beings from the planet, why even bother with a flood, and all the complications of saving thousands of animal and plant species from it. It sounded like walking west around the world, to get to my eastern neighbors house. Makes no sense. I got too hung up on that part rather than what the story is actually about.
    02-16-2015 10:50 AM
    I remember that experience too. I was around 9 and my thoughts revolved around the question why Noah needed to be involved at all? For an entity that could just flick their wrist and instantly remove unwanted beings from the planet, why even bother with a flood, and all the complications of saving thousands of animal and plant species from it. It sounded like walking west around the world, to get to my eastern neighbors house. Makes no sense. I got too hung up on that part rather than what the story is actually about.
    For me I remember movies on TV. Ten commandments, etc. Though my mother told me what they were about I always saw them a bit on the fantasy side and a touch cruel. They didn't make much sense to me at all at the time. As I got older and learned more I decided they didn't suit me.

As I got more logical I took more to science and the beauty of the natural world as is. I've had many a moment where I feel stunned and privileged to be alive at this time knowing as much as we do.

Ever get into a place and just feels like you connect with the world, the turning of it, the age, the whole of nature? Everything just clicks? I've had that experience many times and love them. It's why I love to travel.
    Laura Knotek, palandri and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2015 02:03 PM
    Science and faith are not mutually exclusive.
    Laura Knotek, palandri and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2015 02:14 PM
    I often find in most countries it seems once you're out of a city the trend for religious thinking increases. The smaller the town the higher the chance of highly religious communities to flourish. I've seen this in many countries, it is a bit anecdotal but so far I'm hitting about 100%.
    That actually makes sense, based upon history. I watched Mankind: The Story of All of Us from The History Channel. People started living in bigger cities during the Enlightenment era.

Another interesting thing that was mentioned in that show is how transportation has contributed to genetic diversity in humans. People were less racially/ethnically diverse prior to the invention of railroads, cars and airplanes, since they could not travel to locations were other racial/ethnic groups lived. Now that we are able to travel, we come into contact with more people, which results in more diversity.
    02-16-2015 02:25 PM
    Science and faith are not mutually exclusive.
    No comment. I'll be nice. :P
    02-16-2015 02:59 PM
    No comment. I'll be nice. :P
    You can be civil and still.have these discussions. If you can't 'be nice' in conversations then you made the right choice.
    02-16-2015 03:02 PM
    You can be civil and still.have these discussions. If you can't 'be nice' in conversations then you made the right choice.
    It's not that I cannot be civil I just often find when getting into faith and science discussions it usually draws away from the science and can easily turn into discussions which people may find offensive with out meaning to. Simply because saying anything negative about religion or faith can be seen as offensive.

If compatibility makes you comfortable, that's fine. However, I don't need it. Nature is wonderful enough with out the extras. I've heard every reason and then some why I should think otherwise and it hasn't convinced me.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-17-2015 at 12:16 AM.
    02-16-2015 03:15 PM
    It's not that I cannot be civil I just often find when getting into faith and science discussions it usually draws away from the science and can easily turn into discussions which people may find offensive with out meaning to. Simply because saying anything negative about religion or faith can be seen as offensive.

If compatibility makes you comfortable, that's fine. However, I don't need it. The nature is wonderful enough with out the extras. I've heard every reason and then some why I should think otherwise and it hasn't convinced me.
    No one can convince you of faith, it's something you have to discover on your own.

Believe it or not, God created everything, every particle, every reaction, and every law of the universe. I find it hard to imagine one can believe they are seperate.
    palandri likes this.
    02-16-2015 03:31 PM
    No one can convince you of faith, it's something you have to discover on your own.

Believe it or not, God created everything, every particle, every reaction, and every law of the universe. I find it hard to imagine one can believe they are seperate.
    I don't need faith of that sort. I find it empty.

If that makes you happy then that's fine, nothing about that statement for me is at all satisfying. It leaves more questions than answers as far as I'm concerned.
    02-16-2015 03:36 PM
    I don't need faith of that sort. I find it empty.

If that makes you happy then that's fine, nothing about that statement for me is at all satisfying. It leaves more questions than answers as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I hope you find what you're looking for.
    palandri likes this.
    02-16-2015 04:32 PM
    02-16-2015 05:30 PM
    The guy who proposed the Big Bang theory was actually a Jesuit priest. One more reason faith and science can co-exist.
    Georges Lematre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 05:36 PM
    The Big Bang theory does not provide any explanation for the initial conditions of the Universe.
    This is something that has always perplexed me....
    Also the probability of the conditions to be just right for the existence of the universe - Just Six Numbers explains it pretty well - also is a pretty intriguing point.
    palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 05:37 PM
477 ... 89101112 ...