Conversations About Science

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that I live in a country listed in the bottom half is depressing. It just shows that for most people, what they want to believe is more important than evidence. I just wonder where they are all hiding. I don't know a single evolution denier ��

Just out of curiosity which country is that? Also keep in mind on how the question is asked.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

To be honest, I am not surprised where the U.S. sits.

Neither am I. I've seen that chart a few times already and have heard the stats many times over the years. It's a funny dichotomy between how the US is viewed and what it's actually like.

These stats have been going since 1985... hasn't changed in that whole time. Sad isn't it?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Neither am I. I've seen that chart a few times already and have heard the stats many times over the years. It's a funny dichotomy between how the US is viewed and what it's actually like.

These stats have been going since 1985... hasn't changed in that whole time. Sad isn't it?

Yes, It's very sad.

LOL! One of the reasons I like Ancient Aliens is their hypotheses on past biblical events, as outlandish as they may be, seems so much more plausible in my mind. Like, he wasn't talking to burning bush, it was an alien :cool: or he couldn't have built an ark that big, it was a spaceship. :cool:

...but like I said, so many of their hypotheses are extremely far fetched at best, but from time to time they bring up a good point which is hard to solve. I guess it lets me Sci-Fi fantasize a bit. :grin:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity which country is that? Also keep in mind on how the question is asked.

Switzerland. The same country that hosts CERN (mind blowing place btw).

I've repeatedly seen stats showing Switzerland to be one of the most religious societies in western Europe. For some reason I just never seem to meet those folks... I'm starting to wonder if people here view their spirituality as a very private matter that they keep to themselves. It's the only explanation I've got.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Switzerland. The same country that hosts CERN (mind blowing place btw).

I've repeatedly seen stats showing Switzerland to be one of the most religious societies in western Europe. For some reason I just never seem to meet those folks... I'm starting to wonder if people here view their spirituality as a very private matter that they keep to themselves. It's the only explanation I've got.

There was another guy on here from Switzerland who was a biologist doing a PhD. I'm pretty positive he'd have the same impression.

I often find in most countries it seems once you're out of a city the trend for religious thinking increases. The smaller the town the higher the chance of highly religious communities to flourish. I've seen this in many countries, it is a bit anecdotal but so far I'm hitting about 100%.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, It's very sad.

LOL! One of the reasons I like Ancient Aliens is their hypotheses on past biblical events, as outlandish as they may be, seems so much more plausible in my mind. Like, he wasn't talking to burning bush, it was an alien :cool: or he couldn't have built an ark that big, it was a spaceship. :cool:

...but like I said, so many of their hypotheses are extremely far fetched at best, but from time to time they bring up a good point which is hard to solve. I guess it lets me Sci-Fi fantasize a bit. :grin:

Have a read of this - Noah's ark was round ? so the ancient tablet tells us | Books | The Guardian

If you can find the full episode, check it out - The Real Noah's Ark: Secret History - Channel 4

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, It's very sad.

Also hallucinations is a big thought about what could have caused a lot of the sightings. Apparently lots of hallucinogenic substances were commonly consumed back then.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I often find in most countries it seems once you're out of a city the trend for religious thinking increases. The smaller the town the higher the chance of highly religious communities to flourish. I've seen this in many countries, it is a bit anecdotal but so far I'm hitting about 100%.

Maybe that would explain it. There are no large cities here. The largest is home to about a million people.

I'm not really sure why an area being more urban or rural should make a difference though. If those differences coincide with cultural or educational differences, then I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Culturally, excluding immigrants, the country is rather homogenous, and education levels are rather high everywhere. At least as good as Germany, which is higher up in those rankings.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Also hallucinations is a big thought about what could have caused a lot of the sightings. Apparently lots of hallucinogenic substances were commonly consumed back then.

That could be a whole new series, Ancient Hallucinogens. :cool:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe that would explain it. There are no large cities here. The largest is home to about of a million people.
I'm not really sure why an area being more urban or rural should make a difference though. If those differences coincide with cultural or educational differences, then I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Culturally, excluding immigrants, the country is rather homogenous, and education levels are rather high everywhere.

I'm not entirely sure why it is. In Finland they have a large almost Amish like community in the northern areas. In Australia you get fundamental religious areas in the farming communities typically. In Canada it's similar to Australia. Here in the UK it's a mix bag because there's a lot of religious schools with high academic qualifications but still teach things properly, for the most part.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's about to get going again soon.

I can wait! We're going to learn a lot from it. I can see a collision compressing a particle so tightly that they create fusion. Could they possible create a mini black hole? Lots to learn.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That could be a whole new series, Ancient Hallucinogens. :cool:

I recalled a story about it but none of the articles I found were very good.

There's the possibility a lot of the things are mostly legends and stories with some 'truth' mixed in.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I recalled a story about it but none of the articles I found were very good.

There's the possibility a lot of the things are mostly legends and stories with some 'truth' mixed in.

I guess my parents taught me to think in a very methodical way. I suppose I was 6 or 7 when I first heard the ark story and it generated a question every 10 seconds into the story. Like, wait a minute, one guy went all around the world and collect two of every animal? How is that possible? All the animals came willingly? He brought enough food for 40 days?...etc...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I guess my parents taught me to think in a very methodical way. I suppose I was 6 or 7 when I first heard the ark story and it generated a question every 10 seconds into the story. Like, wait a minute, one guy went all around the world and collect two of every animal? How is that possible? All the animals came willingly? He brought enough food for 40 days?...etc...

I remember that experience too. I was around 9 and my thoughts revolved around the question why Noah needed to be involved at all? For an entity that could just flick their wrist and instantly remove unwanted beings from the planet, why even bother with a flood, and all the complications of saving thousands of animal and plant species from it. It sounded like walking west around the world, to get to my eastern neighbors house. Makes no sense. I got too hung up on that part rather than what the story is actually about.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I remember that experience too. I was around 9 and my thoughts revolved around the question why Noah needed to be involved at all? For an entity that could just flick their wrist and instantly remove unwanted beings from the planet, why even bother with a flood, and all the complications of saving thousands of animal and plant species from it. It sounded like walking west around the world, to get to my eastern neighbors house. Makes no sense. I got too hung up on that part rather than what the story is actually about.
For me I remember movies on TV. Ten commandments, etc. Though my mother told me what they were about I always saw them a bit on the fantasy side and a touch cruel. They didn't make much sense to me at all at the time. As I got older and learned more I decided they didn't suit me.

As I got more logical I took more to science and the beauty of the natural world as is. I've had many a moment where I feel stunned and privileged to be alive at this time knowing as much as we do.

Ever get into a place and just feels like you connect with the world, the turning of it, the age, the whole of nature? Everything just clicks? I've had that experience many times and love them. It's why I love to travel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb