09-21-2016 07:13 AM
477 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    New Crystal Could Let Divers Breathe Underwater

Scuba diving is great fun until your tank starts running out of oxygen. But what if you could just gather the oxygen from the water that's all around you on a dive? A new material synthesized by researchers in a lab could do just that....

https://niume.com/pages/post/?postID=12847
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    02-14-2015 11:18 PM
    Neil deGrasse Tyson answering 'Do you think time travel will ever be possible?'

I enjoy the heck out of how Neil and guys like Hawking and Michio Kaku not to mention my other favorites are so good at connecting with us commoners.

New Crystal Could Let Divers Breathe Underwater

Scuba diving is great fun until your tank starts running out of oxygen. But what if you could just gather the oxygen from the water that's all around you on a dive? A new material synthesized by researchers in a lab could do just that....

https://niume.com/pages/post/?postID=12847
    Absolutely fascinating!
    Laura Knotek and palandri like this.
    02-14-2015 11:38 PM
    I enjoy the heck out of how Neil and guys like Hawking and Michio Kaku not to mention my other favorites are so good at connecting with us commoners....
    Glad you mentioned Michio Kaku, I really liked him too. I haven't seen him on any recent science channel shows, so I guess I kind of forgot about him. Here's his webpage: Explorations in Science :: Official Website of Dr. Michio Kaku Looks like he's been doing the lecture circuit.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-15-2015 12:07 AM
    I really like and respect Dr. Kaku...
    Pretty much an all-round type of person.

I think these folks incite the inquisitive in everyone.
    Their examples will spark more curiosity and be cause for free thought.
    I believe if everyone young to old becomes fascinated with physics, astronomy and math we may see ourselves in a different place.

Wish I was younger so I could ride the wave :(
    I greatly envy all of you who have youth in your favor.
    Use those years ahead wisely...
    02-15-2015 12:25 AM
    Glad you mentioned Michio Kaku, I really liked him too. I haven't seen him on any recent science channel shows, so I guess I kind of forgot about him. Here's his webpage: Explorations in Science :: Official Website of Dr. Michio Kaku Looks like he's been doing the lecture circuit.
    I had never heard of him before.

Thanks for posting his website. I'm definitely interested.
    Guytronic and palandri like this.
    02-15-2015 12:25 AM
    I would most definitely pay to hear a lecture by Dr. Kaku...
    02-15-2015 12:49 AM
    02-15-2015 01:37 AM
    earth-pale-blue-dot-desktop-wallpaper.jpg

I had forgotten about this.
    A pretty big deal 25 years ago.

I was going to link the YT video with Carl Sagan narrating.
    Some of the video is NSFW however.
    palandri, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-15-2015 05:56 PM
    Couple gets married using rings with a waveform of their own voice saying "I do."
    Attached Thumbnails weddingrings.jpg  
    02-15-2015 06:05 PM
    Pretty cool looking back in time!
    Attached Thumbnails timelight.jpg  
    02-16-2015 12:28 AM
    This is a great talk by Brian Cox about CERN

Brian Cox: CERN's supercollider | Talk Video | TED.com
    palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 03:59 AM
    Shouldn't this thread simply be called Conversations about Science? Unless I'm missing something physics is a science... :P
    Fire 29 and palandri like this.
    02-16-2015 04:02 AM
    Shouldn't this thread simply be called Conversations about Science? Unless I'm missing something physics is a science... :P

Correct.
    palandri likes this.
    02-16-2015 04:05 AM
    Correct.
    Considering I work with physics on a regular basis I just wanted to make sure I was still in with science. :P
    palandri, Fire 29 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 04:12 AM
    For those at all interested in the evolution debate this is a good video to watch. It's by the NCSE. They tend to be a bit on the accommodation side but this video is straight to the point. It explains a lot.

palandri and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 04:18 AM
    You are correct. I changed the title.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 06:00 AM
    For those at all interested in the evolution debate this is a good video to watch. It's by the NCSE. They tend to be a bit on the accommodation side but this video is straight to the point. It explains a lot.
    How evolution is viewed around the world (public acceptance)
    Attached Thumbnails evolution.jpg  
    N_LaRUE, a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 07:41 AM
    ^^^ Depressing isn't it?
    palandri, a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 07:42 AM
    Yes, that I live in a country listed in the bottom half is depressing. It just shows that for most people, what they want to believe is more important than evidence. I just wonder where they are all hiding. I don't know a single evolution denier 😒
    palandri, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 07:56 AM
    ^^^ Depressing isn't it?
    To be honest, I am not surprised where the U.S. sits.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2015 08:04 AM
    Yes, that I live in a country listed in the bottom half is depressing. It just shows that for most people, what they want to believe is more important than evidence. I just wonder where they are all hiding. I don't know a single evolution denier
    Just out of curiosity which country is that? Also keep in mind on how the question is asked.
    palandri and a5cent like this.
    02-16-2015 08:08 AM
    To be honest, I am not surprised where the U.S. sits.
    Neither am I. I've seen that chart a few times already and have heard the stats many times over the years. It's a funny dichotomy between how the US is viewed and what it's actually like.

These stats have been going since 1985... hasn't changed in that whole time. Sad isn't it?
    02-16-2015 08:23 AM
    Neither am I. I've seen that chart a few times already and have heard the stats many times over the years. It's a funny dichotomy between how the US is viewed and what it's actually like.

These stats have been going since 1985... hasn't changed in that whole time. Sad isn't it?
    Yes, It's very sad.

LOL! One of the reasons I like Ancient Aliens is their hypotheses on past biblical events, as outlandish as they may be, seems so much more plausible in my mind. Like, he wasn't talking to burning bush, it was an alien or he couldn't have built an ark that big, it was a spaceship.

...but like I said, so many of their hypotheses are extremely far fetched at best, but from time to time they bring up a good point which is hard to solve. I guess it lets me Sci-Fi fantasize a bit.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-2015 08:42 AM
    Just out of curiosity which country is that? Also keep in mind on how the question is asked.
    Switzerland. The same country that hosts CERN (mind blowing place btw).

I've repeatedly seen stats showing Switzerland to be one of the most religious societies in western Europe. For some reason I just never seem to meet those folks... I'm starting to wonder if people here view their spirituality as a very private matter that they keep to themselves. It's the only explanation I've got.
    palandri, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-16-2015 08:56 AM
    Switzerland. The same country that hosts CERN (mind blowing place btw).

I've repeatedly seen stats showing Switzerland to be one of the most religious societies in western Europe. For some reason I just never seem to meet those folks... I'm starting to wonder if people here view their spirituality as a very private matter that they keep to themselves. It's the only explanation I've got.
    There was another guy on here from Switzerland who was a biologist doing a PhD. I'm pretty positive he'd have the same impression.

I often find in most countries it seems once you're out of a city the trend for religious thinking increases. The smaller the town the higher the chance of highly religious communities to flourish. I've seen this in many countries, it is a bit anecdotal but so far I'm hitting about 100%.
    02-16-2015 09:07 AM
477 ... 7891011 ...