Conversations About Science

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Space and Time into a single Continuum

http://youtu.be/MO_Q_f1WgQI

Excellent video on some mind boggling stuff. :) I love Brian Greene because he takes something as complex as quantum physics and string theory and makes it almost understandable. lol :p
The video reminded me of the fractal multiverse hypothesis. Interesting ideas.
Made me think of a neat little time travel book called The Man Who Folded Himself. Similar ideas are found in that book. It's a good read.

Link to the documentary about the origins of the Many-World Hypothesis and Fractals: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/mark-everett.html

A link to a wiki article about The Man Who Folded Himself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Folded_Himself

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

Woohoo another hangout!
:grin:

I love this type of stuff.
My mind is a fascinating place...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

.... I love Brian Greene because he takes something as complex as quantum physics and string theory and makes it almost understandable. lol :p....

He does a great job simplifying things so they are easier to understand. I also really like how Brian Cox (Wonders of the Universe) and Michelle Thaller (How the Universe Works) simplify things.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

He does a great job simplifying things so they are easier to understand. I also really like how Brian Cox (Wonders of the Universe) and Michelle Thaller (How the Universe Works) simplify things.

I'm right with you on those two. I watched a great Ted Talk with Brian Cox last night.
On a side note, I recently saw the movie Theory of Everything. I highly recommend it if any of you has not seen it. Probably one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. I think because I respect the guy so much, it was hard watching him deteriorate physically over the course of his life. On the flip side, it was also very inspirational.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm right with you on those two. I watched a great Ted Talk with Brian Cox last night.
On a side note, I recently saw the movie Theory of Everything. I highly recommend it if any of you has not seen it. Probably one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. I think because I respect the guy so much, it was hard watching him deteriorate physically over the course of his life. On the flip side, it was also very inspirational.

Great movie and really enjoyed it. I've heard it's not 100% biographical but that didn't bother me. I only wish they would have shown his humour more.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Great movie and really enjoyed it. I've heard it's not 100% biographical but that didn't bother me. I only wish they would have shown his humour more.

I read that too, but I didn't care about that too much. I understand that there has to be a little artistic license involved in order to get people to go see it. I am impressed that, even though it was written by his ex wife, she included her faults in the storyline as well as his. Fairly equal representation.
I agree though, from what I've learned about him, he's a bit of a good humored smart ***. :) Would have been nice to see more of that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I read that too, but I didn't care about that too much. I understand that there has to be a little artistic license involved in order to get people to go see it. I am impressed that, even though it was written by his ex wife, she included her faults in the storyline as well as his. Fairly equal representation.
I agree though, from what I've learned about him, he's a bit of a good humored smart ***. :) Would have been nice to see more of that.

The story is taken from his ex-wife's autobiography but the movie does not match it in timeline or information. She was on hand through the filming so she obviously didn't object to the changes.

He's notorious for playing practical jokes and making silly bets.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So, basically, it was just a movie about a guy who became a scientist, married a girl, feel I'll to a tragic disease, became wildly celebrated, fell out of love with his wife, and changed science forever. lol It was good though. :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

So, basically, it was just a movie about a guy who became a scientist, married a girl, feel I'll to a tragic disease, became wildly celebrated, fell out of love with his wife, and changed science forever. lol It was good though. :p

I know a movie is really good when I can sit there for 2 hours, never lose interest and can't believe that 2 hours has passed by at the end of the movie. Which is how I felt after watching it. :cool:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to see a film about Nikola Tesla. His legacy has been severely neglected.

All kids in the US learn about Edison in grade school, but I never heard of Tesla until I took university physics.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)