Conversations About Science

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

Raise your hands, who else drank Tang as a kid watching the Apollo missions?
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Raise your hands, who else drank Tang as a kid watching the Apollo missions?
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

I loved Tang as a kid. I wonder if it's still around. I haven't seen it in grocery stores for years now.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I've always found details about this guy fascinating:
Philo Farnsworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since we were both born and raised in the same state.

My understanding is he was so intense about his idea his thinking consumed a lot of brain power while functioning day to day.
Most definitely a beautiful mind.

If you scroll down you'll see the section where the article talks about his one and only TV appearance...

Wow! I vaguely remember his last name associated with the television. My grandfather was an engineer in the '50's and '60's and apparently knew enough about Farnsworth to build my mom's family's first television...in color. :)
Had really no idea who Farnsworth was or just how important he was. So many innovators go unnoticed. I think it has to do with their personality types. And the fact that most people take those types of things for granted.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Wow! I vaguely remember his last name associated with the television.

Story about him that got me was his inspiration for a scanning image dissector was born from the furrows left after plowing the fields as farm boy!
This evidently was his epiphany.
So so amazing where the spark of genius can come from...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I visited NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland with my physics class. We got to see the Zero Gravity Research Facility. I had a B&W photograph of the class that was taken at the facility by a staff member, but I don't know what happened to it. I'll post the picture if I ever find it and scan it.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

Might be a question leading to an obvious answer, but are you a med student, doctor, etc??? I definitely would liked to learn more about bacteriology and virology. :)

Yeah I'm a med student 😄 I'm a first-year so I didn't learn about virology or bacteriology in uni , but I already know a lot from school and I read a bit , so ask me

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

It did take off pretty good!

I'm sure you'll find something to get us excited there Mr. LaRUE!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I agree 100%. Edison was America's darling, and deservedly so, but the smear campaign against Tesla's vision for AC was downright nasty. As history has shown, Tesla was right and the power grids we have are proof.

These are from the entrance to Niagara Falls.

Telsa was a genius, there is little doubt but he had a few issues with some things and was apparently very vocal about them. These include overweight people, Einstein's theory of relativity, atom theory and apparently fashion. The atom theory one was a bit of a surprise...

Edision, the more I learned about him the more I realised he was simply a business man more than an inventor. He was very much involved with the 'race to the patent office' nonsense. His inventions were all about business opportunity rather than science. Apparently he wasn't very keen on those who were 'learned'.

A side note -

Being in the electrical field for over 20 years I've come to learn a thing or two about it.

Though AC is great, in many ways it's highly impractical, especially in our day and age of digital technology. It also has many issues with it's transmission.

HVDC transmission is becoming more common, especially between countries and 'separate' grids. It's not perfect either but it goes to show that DC voltage was always a good alternative and to me it was possibly the better one looking at our world today.

Smear campaigns went both ways back then. The DC smear has been around for some time and it's only been fairly recently that it's proven to be false.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb