Conversations About Science

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

Anyone knows about glycolysis , glucokinase , hexokinase , insulin anything about biochemistry ? I need to ask something
24 years ago I knew a whole lot about those. Didn't end up working in the industry so haven't used it since. And a whole lot of subsequent science has occurred since.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

24 years ago I knew a whole lot about those. Didn't end up working in the industry so haven't used it since. And a whole lot of subsequent science has occurred since.
Same with me. I graduated in 1991 but never worked in the biology field.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I read an article about this a few years back. I mentioned it to a friend (I worked with him in Australia) of mine who is a creationist (sad too because he's fairly intelligent) and he was very intrigued because one of the things they try to use against an old universe is light having different speeds.

He found out that day I wasn't a believer. I never saw someone so stunned. Not sure if it rocked his world view or not but he seemed wary of me after that for awhile. He continued to feed his mind with denialism though, sadly. :/

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Speaking of high frequency energy....😊 All of this Tesla talk put me in the mood to drag out my Tesla Coil for my kiddos to see. Once I get it dusted off, I'll try to post some pictures of it in action. :)
That's pretty cool. It was many years ago that I saw one of those in a science centre back in Canada.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Anyone ever been to the Institute of Technology in Boston?

We went a number of years ago and were able to sit thru the wonders of electricity in there.
There's 2 very large Tesla coils in there that put on one heck of an impressive display.
Whole thing was pretty spectacular.

Talking about electricity, I changed 6 bulbs and three fixtures in my house to LED lighting and dropped my electrical bill $15 a month.

The only strange thing that occurred was the light above my kitchen sink has 7 LED bulbs with a clear lens, so the light isn't diffused and it gives any item 7 shadows. :grin:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Talking about electricity, I changed 6 bulbs and three fixtures in my house to LED lighting and dropped my electrical bill $15 a month.

The only strange thing that occurred was the light above my kitchen sink has 7 LED bulbs with a clear lens, so the light isn't diffused and it gives any item 7 shadows. :grin:

Nah man, those shadows are from the Disco Ball the missus put up. :cool:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

When I bought my first house about 14 years ago, I paid an arm and a leg and put CFL in every single light outlet and bought the best energy efficient appliances that were available at that time. My electric bill for the house was lower than the apartment I used to live in:)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I replaced all the 50W halogens with 5W LEDs. :) I can't replace three lights unfortunately but at least most are done. :) we've been doing pretty well energy rise until the winter came. We have electric heaters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers