Conversations About Science

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

For anyone who uses Instagram, you should follow danspace77 for some amazing NASA photos.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Talking about electricity, I changed 6 bulbs and three fixtures in my house to LED lighting and dropped my electrical bill $15 a month.

The only strange thing that occurred was the light above my kitchen sink has 7 LED bulbs with a clear lens, so the light isn't diffused and it gives any item 7 shadows. :grin:
7 shadows LOL
That might mess with the food pics :)

Amazing how much LED's can affect savings.
The wife is all over this here.
She's changed whatever she could inside and out.

We also ended up giving the big plasma TV we had away and got a newer LED model.
It's looking like doing that in addition to the bulbs has dropped our electric from $330.00 to $240.00 a month.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just FYI... I know wayyyyyyyy too much about LED light technology... just saying.

Any questions about it just ask.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Interesting hypothesis. I'll await for testing of the model to see what happens and what comes out that.

The comments at the article are interesting.... Some better than others.

Still doesn't answer the burning question, the chicken or the egg?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Questions!

Is lightning strictly pure DC or is it a modified version of direct current?
Can the voltage level of lighting be measured and would it be the same for every strike?

Which is the potential of lighting?:
Earth or the point at which the bolt of electricity jumps to?

I'm asking because I really dunno...

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Just FYI... I know wayyyyyyyy too much about LED light technology... just saying.

Any questions about it just ask.
Are there any realistic ROI calculators around? I'd like to convert our RV over to LED, as well as our 2,900SF ranch house and barn, lighting is a mix of CFL, halogen, luminescent and mercury vapor. Mix of LCD, Plasma and CRT TV's. I want all of the home lighting, fans, etc. to tie into my mixed Insteon and x11 home automation, so will either get smart bulbs or controllers for them.

While in the middle of a remodel, the lighting by itself is cash prohibitive. However, from an ROI and resale value it still would seem to make sense. Any good tools you've seen ?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I'd like to convert our RV over to LED

We've experimented with some of the lower priced LEDs for our fifth wheel.
I've not seen a massive benefit over cost for them since we don't run the trailer lights a lot on batteries.

What we did was buy battery powered LED table lights more for mood lighting versus utility.
Those things last for months on replaceable batteries.

The lights in the trailer used most by us are in the kitchen area and the scare lights on the outside.
Could be some benefit there...however in most areas we camp outside lighting has to be off overnite unless it's subdued lighting.

Well enough off topic...
...or is it :)
LOL

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Well enough off topic...
...or is it :)
LOL
Well, it IS the Off-Topic lounge! Besides which, when looked at correctly, most all things are science, which is supported by math. We can view this as a bio-financial exploration of electro-physical compute-intensive bio-habituated phenomena. Or I'm just a damn geek. :winktongue:

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Anyone else get good laugh out of the guys hunting for human things in the mars image data base? It's like a rorschach test for alien hunters or searching cloud shaped like animals...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else get good laugh out of the guys hunting for human things in the mars image data base? It's like a rorschach test for alien hunters or searching cloud shaped like animals...

If there's anything human on mars it's probably a Starbucks.
They're everywhere...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I replaced all the 50W halogens with 5W LEDs. :) I can't replace three lights unfortunately but at least most are done. :) we've been doing pretty well energy rise until the winter came. We have electric heaters.
We use oil filled electric heaters. They really help keep the bill down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb