Conversations About Science

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

I concur.
Keep in mind when Carl Sagan was around we were still trying to figure out the string theory and chasing the Higgs boson and to find earth like planets revovling around stars in the habitable zone. All of these have come true in Neil's time....just my 2c.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Another question:
How far can particles be broken down.
Does infinity travel in both directions and can this be worked out mathematically or will it be solved by mechanical research?

Asking because I don't know.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Laura, after you read Simon's book, please let me know your thoughts. It had some really nice correlation between science, scientists and their faith. It was really eye opening in the sense that people were a bit more tolerant back then compared to today and accepting that faith and science can coexist peacefully.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Another question:
Does infinity travel in both directions and can this be worked out mathematically or will it be solved by mechanical research?

According to the string theory particles can ultimately break down into just vibrations. This is of course a very simplistic view. Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe is a good place to start or his show on PBS is equally good.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Laura, after you read Simon's book, please let me know your thoughts. It had some really nice correlation between science, scientists and their faith. It was really eye opening in the sense that people were a bit more tolerant back then compared to today and accepting that faith and science can coexist peacefully.

I'll definitely let you know! I placed my order, but the library still hasn't emailed me that it's ready for pickup.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Another question:

For your second question the answer is neither one will yield results since we are in an inflationary universe which got to 99% of the current size in about 10^-36 seconds after the big bang....I might need to read up a bit more to ensure I am quoting the numbers correctly, it's been about 10 years since I read those books.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm trying to remember the name of a book about Isaac Newton and how he arrived at his book Principia Mathematica. It was a phenomenal biography and gave a lot of insight as to how he went about his discoveries. There are a lot of parallels between Newton and Einstein and a lot of differences as well, namely classical or Newtonian physics versus quantum physics and the theory of relativity.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I'm trying to remember the name of a book about Isaac Newton and how he arrived at his book Principia Mathematica. It was a phenomenal biography and gave a lot of insight as to how he went about his discoveries. There are a lot of parallels between Newton and Einstein and a lot of differences as well, namely classical or Newtonian physics versus quantum physics and the theory of relativity.

How Einstein came up with the Theory of Relativity at the time that he did, with the knowledge that was available at that time is beyond my comprehension. If there's any truth to ancient aliens, he was one of them. :grin:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

How Einstein came up with the Theory of Relativity at the time that he did, with the knowledge that was available at that time is beyond my comprehension. If there's any truth to ancient aliens, he was one of them. :grin:
And that is why Simon's book about the beginnings of the universe and the Newton biography were phenomenal because in some sense they both (Newton and Einstein) felt that they were put on Earth to help us mortals understand the "Elegant Universe".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Are there any realistic ROI calculators around? I'd like to convert our RV over to LED, as well as our 2,900SF ranch house and barn, lighting is a mix of CFL, halogen, luminescent and mercury vapor. Mix of LCD, Plasma and CRT TV's. I want all of the home lighting, fans, etc. to tie into my mixed Insteon and x11 home automation, so will either get smart bulbs or controllers for them.

While in the middle of a remodel, the lighting by itself is cash prohibitive. However, from an ROI and resale value it still would seem to make sense. Any good tools you've seen ?

Warning - VERY LONG POST.

Here’s one ROI calculator you can find online. There are others you can find by searching.

LED Return on Investment Calculator | Green Lighting LED

I understand that cost of LEDs make most people stop to consider if it’s worth it. You need to understand the basic premise of how LEDs work and why they’re better than conventional lighting.

I could bore you to death with the information I have about LEDs, I’ve sat through several presentations and I do lighting design as one of my tasks. Two things that are making us use LEDs on the project I’m on are based on energy savings and maintenance. I’m talking industrial here.

But the same rules of thinking apply but I think I should point out the good and not so good aspects of LEDs and the general reason why you should use them.

LED bulbs are basically two components. You have the actual LEDs and a driver. In terms of lifespan the driver is more likely to go than the LED itself. So a good quality driver is more important than anything else. I bought cheap LEDs on eBay to try them out, so far so good. I’d recommend any type of LED light that will get the heat away from the driver in the design.

When you buy a LED you should go for the cluster LED fixture rather than using a small number of high powered LEDs (this is my preference but not necessary) reason behind this is that if one LED goes you won’t notice. If you have only 5 high powered LEDs you might. I’m not up to speed of what’s available in the US but if you can only get the high powered ones then go with them, they’re still good.

All the heat is generated from the driver of the LED light. You can touch the lens of an LED and it won’t burn you. LEDs thrive in colder temperatures and have a longer lifespan the cooler they are. If you use them in hotter temperatures they won’t last as long still significantly better than a standard bulb though. Keep in mind when I say hot temperature I’m talking +40C.

One of the simplest calculations to make when considering LEDs is this:

A 70W replacement LED is 10W in North America. That’s approximately 15% of the energy used by conventional lights. You’re saving approximately 85% of energy per light.

That’s a general rule of thumb you can use. That means if you’re on a battery it will last longer and use less energy. If you want to cut energy costs, it’s a big difference over all, especially if you have a lot of lights.

LED light is instantaneous and the ‘bulbs’ themselves are more durable. They have a long lifespan and if you use them like you use your regular bulbs they’ll probably last a good 15 to 20 years. Average lifespan of an LED is 50,000 hours.

From an energy efficiency level they’re about the same as a florescent without all the issues and don’t suffer the low temperature issue of switching on.

If you buy LEDs I’d suggest a warm light as its closer to conventional lights. Get a wide angle light as well so that you don’t end up with shadows as LED light is more direct than any other type of light so the reflector is important.

If you’re at all interested I can provide you with lighting software. It’s a freely available software and fairly easy to use, especially if you ever used AutoCAD. You’ll need the IES files of the lights you plan to use to get any value from it though. The software won’t do ROI though.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps anyone considering LEDs.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I personally think the tolerance was both ways but in recent times it's changed. When you have in the US and other countries, vocal people battering science discovery and knowledge with nonsense you can understand that there comes a time where one has to start retaliating.

I think most scientist could care less what anyone believes in so long as people agree with science. The conflict arises when one's beliefs and science clash. Which is a constant thing these days.

Having government policy and laws being enacted based on beliefs, not on rationality is part of the problem. That's why there's less tolerance for it. Rationality is unfortunately not a foundation of belief.

I can personally care less, as a non believer, what some wants to believe and I'm happy to be nice to people who want to practice their faith, however, that tolerance ends when their faith starts encroaching on my happiness and my way of life and any other who don't share the same convictions as them. I am secularist and a humanist.

I've often found that there is no greater intolerance expressed by any individual than by those who truly believe.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Newton was also a bit of a loon, however brilliant....It's also possible he was gay but that's not confirmed, nor really an issue.

Einstein had his quirks but at least he seemed stable for the most part. Just slightly eccentric.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Watch the ESA IXV launch

ESA’s Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle is ready for its launch and reentry mission on 11 February. The launch is scheduled for 13:00 GMT (14:00 CET) atop a Vega rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana. Streaming starts at 12:45 GMT (13:45 CET)

Watch IXV launch / Launchers / Our Activities / ESA

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

When scientists examined the brain of Einstein, they observed that he had a normal brain except that he had more number of astrocytes than the average human. Astrocytes are a type of glial cell which support and nourish the neurons.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When scientists examined the brain of Einstein, they observed that he had a normal brain except that he had more number of astrocytes than the average human. Astrocytes are a type of glial cell which support and nourish the neurons.

Yes but the study for that was very small. In general, they can speculate but they'll never know really why he thought the way he did. If he were alive today they could study it more but with a dead brain it's a bit more difficult. There's newer studies being done.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

Yes but the study for that was very small. In general, they can speculate but they'll never know really why he thought the way he did. If he were alive today they could study it more but with a dead brain it's a bit more difficult. There's newer studies being done.

What I have to post to make you like it?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What I have to post to make you like it?!

Keep in mind one thing when posting on this thread. It's a thread about science. Links necessary. Expect points of view. Expect poking holes in statements. We'll do our best to be nice. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb