Conversations About Science

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

At this point in time, from what I remember there is no possibility to travel at the speed of light and it would not equate to time travel even if we could. FTL travel is a bit out there and wormholes are simply hypothetical currently. There were some recent experiments which claimed FTL particles but they have since been refuted.

There are all sorts of ideas but the simple truth is we don't know enough about 'time' as such to predict if it's even possible. On top of that we don't know if time travel would only be forward or whether or not it's possible to go backward. The other question of course is, what is time?
The laws of physics don't seem to hold up at those speeds. Suppose you are traveling close to lightspeed carrying a lantern. Some sort of discrepancy between the speed of light as perceived by you, vs. the speed of light as perceived by an observer who sees you. I can't remember the details, every time I've heard it explained it makes my brain hurt.

SpO BoB

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

At this point in time, from what I remember there is no possibility to travel at the speed of light and it would not equate to time travel even if we could. FTL travel is a bit out there and wormholes are simply hypothetical currently. There were some recent experiments which claimed FTL particles but they have since been refuted.

There are all sorts of ideas but the simple truth is we don't know enough about 'time' as such to predict if it's even possible. On top of that we don't know if time travel would only be forward or whether or not it's possible to go backward. The other question of course is, what is time?

a good question ! i think this is relative to many factors ! i think that's because we have no equation can hold up with increase speed like this .. i'm thinking of the experiment in Large Hadron Collider can be used in some point since we already can observe speed of light moving atoms .. still i think any other moving object of that speed will be transformed into energy so that it is confusing !!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

a good question ! i think this is relative to many factors ! i think that's because we have no equation can hold up with increase speed like this .. i'm thinking of the experiment in Large Hadron Collider can be used in some point since we already can observe speed of light moving atoms .. still i think any other moving object of that speed will be transformed into energy so that it is confusing !!

Going by what I've read and some things I've seen on shows. Travelling at the speed of light is impossible for a 'normal object' but for your original question special relativity answers it a bit. However, whether you consider that 'time travel' is a different matter. Probably as close as we could get.

Lastly the only 'real' time travel we have currently is looking into space. You can see the past there.

Special relativity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This also provide an interesting answer to your question - If it was possible to travel faster then the speed of light, would time reverse itself (like backwards time travel) or just not exist?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Frictional losses would preclude any chance at reaching 186k m/sec. Maybe in a vacuum?

In a vacuum it would be possible, whether that is 'frictionless' is a different matter. Is space frictionless?

Also, reading a touch, we can't travel a the speed of light because of E=mc2. This means that as you approach the speed of light the mass of an object increases. If you were to hit the speed of light the mass becomes finite, so in other words, you stand still, from what I understand.

Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around this tricky stuff. :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I wonder how size and gravity fits in here. The larger an item is in space, the greater the gravity because you're stretching the fabric of space. Would that cause drag? If we find an earth that's the size of our sun, we wouldn't be able to land on it because the gravity would be 22X the gravity we have on earth and we would be crushed. Maybe stretching the fabric of space is the key to making a wormhole?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I wonder how size and gravity fits in here. The larger an item is in space, the greater the gravity because you're stretching the fabric of space. Would that cause drag? If we find an earth that's the size of our sun, we wouldn't be able to land on it because the gravity would be 22X the gravity we have on earth and we would be crushed. Maybe stretching the fabric of space is the key to making a wormhole?

If you feel like getting a headache you could read this - Wormhole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Here is a good astronomy blog that I tend to read semi regularly.
Bad Astronomy

The first article in that blog talks about NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. My wife and I went to Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona Kitt Peak National Observatory which has one of the largest solar telescopes. We went on the day tour and they bring you into a room with a really large round table and on the table is the sun. You can literally stand there for hours watching the sun. It's fascinating to watch. Then when you see a flare, all you hear are all the people going oooooooo, ahhhhhhhh. :grin:

I went back for the night tour and was able to use a 20" telescope. Time flew by so quick, the next thing I knew the sun was rising.

Something funny when you arrive at Kitt Peak, you start looking around and wonder where it is. Then you realize it's on top of the mountain that you're next to. :grin:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The first article in that blog talks about NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. My wife and I went to Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona Kitt Peak National Observatory which has one of the largest solar telescopes. We went on the day tour and they bring you into a room with a really large round table and on the table is the sun. You can literally stand there for hours watching the sun. It's fascinating to watch. Then when you see a flare, all you hear are all the people going oooooooo, ahhhhhhhh. :grin:

I went back for the night tour and was able to use a 20" telescope. Time flew by so quick, the next thing I knew the sun was rising.

Something funny when you arrive at Kitt Peak, you start looking around and wonder where it is. Then you realize it's on top of the mountain that you're next to. :grin:

I used to go see the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff when I lived there. The claim to fame for that observatory is the discovery of Pluto:)
I have seen the solar flares on a similar setup that Lowell Observatory did in early 2000.

Also we hiked to the top of Mt. Wilson in SoCal where we could see the observatory - Mount Wilson Observatory
I am planning to take the kiddo there - no hiking of course since there is a road that goes up there as well.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA—Is it time to send deliberate messages to the stars, in the hopes of reaching alien civilizations? Advocates in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) say that moment is long overdue....

Might as well.
We ain't makin' a whole lot of progress talking to each other here :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos