Conversations About Science

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
To me they are polar opposites because one teaches to be satisfied with answers and the other seeks to question everything.

That depends on the religion. Jodoshinshu Buddhism (based on a poor farmers kinda buddhism) is very philosophical and open ended. It actually has a lot to do with questioning existence and reality since neither can actually be verified given the fact that its all based on perception. It kinda depends on the reverend and the interpretation but it leans fairly heavily on logic that only a left-brained kinda person would appreciate. I think it would be a perfect "religion" so to speak for physicists that work in multi-dimensional universal theories. I always had "mind-blown" moments when I ever did attend services.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That depends on the religion. Jodoshinshu Buddhism (based on a poor farmers kinda buddhism) is very philosophical and open ended. It actually has a lot to do with questioning existence and reality since neither can actually be verified given the fact that its all based on perception. It kinda depends on the reverend and the interpretation but it leans fairly heavily on logic that only a left-brained kinda person would appreciate. I think it would be a perfect "religion" so to speak for physicists that work in multi-dimensional universal theories. I always had "mind-blown" moments when I ever did attend services.
I was trying not to be specific about any particular faith for the reason of avoiding pointing fingers at any one.

All faiths have an essence of superstition or the supernatural. I know some like to point to eastern philosophical religions as a means of joining science and faith together but it still fails in a lot of ways so my point still stands.

Z3 is posting for me :)

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And the power grid would be decimated.
Why that? Wouldn't the vast majority of electric cars generally be recharged at night while there is virtually no load on the power grid? I've read quite a few documents stating how the power grid could actually be relieved by leveraging electric cars that are used for people's daily commute and which remain plugged in during peak hours at around noon. In those situations they would not draw but temporarily drain power into the grid.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It has been unusually cold this winter season on the East Coast of the USA freezing out the posteriors of a lot of regulars here. The media has come up with a term for it "Polar Vortex". See this link for the media hype.
Polar vortex to unleash record-breaking cold in eastern U.S. on Thursday, Friday - The Washington Post

However, I heard the proper definition of it on NPR today and thought it was an interesting tidbit.
If I find the NPR link, I will post it. In the meantime Wikipedia will have to suffice.
Polar vortex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
And the power grid would be decimated.

That would have been an issue early on but if battery storage tech kept advancing our grid would become extremely stable since we could store more electricity when the demand was low and release it when the demand was high. It would make energy production more efficient. Wind turbines could be going full speed at night charging storage batteries and then release at peak hours. If every house had a small battery pack that could keep a house running for a few days, blackouts would be non-existent if the grid did go down.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Why Do Mirrors Reverse Left and Right but Not Up and Down?
Physics Girl has it covered :)

Physics Girl: Mirrors flipping images.

Richard Feynman enjoyed explaining that one as well. 😊 Although that might be mentioned in your link. Need to go read it. I find it pretty interesting that this little phenomenon is mostly overlooked as something that we're just accustomed to. Thanks for the link.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786