Conversations About Science

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm an electro junkie too, but my knowledge of it could use some help. Now that I think about it, that's probably not a good combination. ha ha ha

If you need any help let me know. Aside from my own knowledge I have access to doctoral degree electrical engineers.

On a side note, I saw a program about Tesla last night. Interesting stuff.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you need any help let me know. Aside from my own knowledge I have access to doctoral degree electrical engineers.

On a side note, I saw a program about Tesla last night. Interesting stuff.

Awesome. Thanks. I do have a question regarding cell phone batteries that's always bugged me.
I've read conflicting reports regarding what some people have labeled as "training your battery". Usually, I read something like this: When you first get a knew lithium battery powered device, you need to cycle through a few charges and full battery drains in order to train your battery so that you get its full potential. Have you ever read anything like that, and is there any truth to it?

What was the Tesla doc called? Was it Master of Lightning? Also, you might enjoy The Unbelievers with Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It was Forbidden History. Lots of Tesla Coils.

I'm away this weekend but I'll give you a run down on batteries when I get back Sunday evening. :)

Z3 is posting for me :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks. I do have a question regarding cell phone batteries that's always bugged me.
I've read conflicting reports regarding what some people have labeled as "training your battery". Usually, I read something like this: When you first get a knew lithium battery powered device, you need to cycle through a few charges and full battery drains in order to train your battery so that you get its full potential. Have you ever read anything like that, and is there any truth to it?

What was the Tesla doc called? Was it Master of Lightning? Also, you might enjoy The Unbelievers with Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss.

This was applicable to older generation batteries. Here is a slightly newer read on the topic especially for smartphones.
How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting read. Thanks! :)
Basically, I need to charge my devices throughout the day. Someone needs to invent "kinetic" phone cases that slowly charge by movement.

Yup. I actually charge my devices at random times and don't seem to have any major issues with battery charging or discharging...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There's a great BBC series called Bible Buried Secrets. It's got three parts. I highly recommend the series. The host is a bible scholar who has an interesting twist on things and I can't help but agree with most of what she says. It's makes a lot of sense.

Not saying she's 100% correct as with all things with these short series they get chopped up so you never know if you've been given the complete picture.

If you can find it definitely watch it.

I watched all three parts this evening. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the recommendation! I think she does a good job presenting her case. It's quite the puzzle these people piece together. I admire their patience and tenacity. The mountains of data and archaeological records these people sift through, to find the puzzle pieces that fit together and eventually reveal a more probably picture of what actually happened and when, is rather astounding.

At the end of the day, we're unlikely to ever have 100% certainty. It's just too far back in ancient history to allow anything to be reconstructed completely. Still, if we can be open to dealing with probabilities rather than strict ideologies, I think the biblical stories end up being even more compelling than they already are.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I watched all three parts this evening. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the recommendation! I think she does a good job presenting her case. It's quite the puzzle these people piece together. I admire their patience and tenacity. The mountains of data and archaeological records these people sift through, to find the puzzle pieces that fit together and eventually reveal a more probably picture of what actually happened and when, is rather astounding.

At the end of the day, we're unlikely to ever have 100% certainty. It's just too far back in ancient history to allow anything to be reconstructed completely. Still, if we can be open to dealing with probabilities rather than strict ideologies, I think the biblical stories end up being even more compelling than they already are.
Were the episodes available online easily?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have to agree. I thought she did a fantastic job.

It is amazing what they can piece together. This is a good representation of what I meant by history being a science. Done right and you get, just like science, a good picture.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
In terms of Tesla tech, how feasible is it to have wireless electricity? Would we eventually have brain issues like Johnny Mnemonic? Could we only charge low voltage stuff like phones?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting read. Thanks! :)
Basically, I need to charge my devices throughout the day. Someone needs to invent "kinetic" phone cases that slowly charge by movement.

That would be interesting.

There's a website that's dedicated to battery technology - Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Though I appreciate the resource I think it's managed to confuse people more rather than help. The articles tend to be a bit on the technical side, even the conclusions. A lay person can easily get the wrong information out of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to stress about battery life and just enjoy using my phone. I'll keep the main tips in mind when using my phone but on the whole I don't plan to got out of my way to be 100% perfect. That's too stressful.

What I wrote on another thread over on AC was this when discussing batteries.

Basically the simple premise is this if you want to keep your battery in the best of health.

- Keep it at room temperature. Li-ion batteries hate extremes.
- Don't keep it on charge, if you need to charge it over night it's better to get a charger that shuts off. Charging also increases temperature.
- Don't fully discharge the battery on a regular basis. Only do this once a month.
- Don't fully charge the phone all the time. Apparently 80% to a discharge of 40% is optimal life. Doesn't mean you can't charge your phone to 100% but your battery will degrade quicker.

That's a quick summary for anyone who might wander by. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In terms of Tesla tech, how feasible is it to have wireless electricity? Would we eventually have brain issues like Johnny Mnemonic? Could we only charge low voltage stuff like phones?

I saw a show about this. I can't remember what channel though or how old it was. On the show they managed to light an LED from several KMs away.

Their main focus was about harvesting solar energy and beaming it down to Earth. Of course that would be excessively high intensity and very dangerous to go anywhere near.

As for practical applications outside of that one, I don't think it's likely we'd be be able to have far field electricity. There's too much interference in the atmosphere and we really don't know what kind of effect that it could have on human or animal health. I think we'd have a lot of dead birds around.

There is no correlation between cancer and high voltage lines or any other wireless technology regardless of the scare tactics by the 'health' brigade. I've seen a few studies but it's a bit inconclusive and trends tend to fall within average.

One way to work with the existing infrastructure would be to use HVDC. That way you have less cable and generally safer systems. You don't get the magnetic inductance from DC that you get from AC. You can also work with different voltages a lot easier than you can with AC. Doesn't mean DC is not dangerous, it will kill you a lot quicker than AC and it doesn't throw you either like AC will. You just won't be killed by standing next to it like you can with HVAC.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett