Conversations About Science

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That would be interesting.

There's a website that's dedicated to battery technology - Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Though I appreciate the resource I think it's managed to confuse people more rather than help. The articles tend to be a bit on the technical side, even the conclusions. A lay person can easily get the wrong information out of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to stress about battery life and just enjoy using my phone. I'll keep the main tips in mind when using my phone but on the whole I don't plan to got out of my way to be 100% perfect. That's too stressful.

What I wrote on another thread over on AC was this when discussing batteries.

Basically the simple premise is this if you want to keep your battery in the best of health.

- Keep it at room temperature. Li-ion batteries hate extremes.
- Don't keep it on charge, if you need to charge it over night it's better to get a charger that shuts off. Charging also increases temperature.
- Don't fully discharge the battery on a regular basis. Only do this once a month.
- Don't fully charge the phone all the time. Apparently 80% to a discharge of 40% is optimal life. Doesn't mean you can't charge your phone to 100% but your battery will degrade quicker.

That's a quick summary for anyone who might wander by. :)
Thanks for this. :)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty interesting. I always thought that sea creatures could afford to be bigger in size because of the support offered by the water in which they live. I don't think I read that in the article though. I guess my assumption only makes a little sense, but wouldn't be the main reason. Otherwise, the ocean would be full of gigantic organisms of every kind from blue whales to giant phytoplankton.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Watched this with my almost 5 year old yesterday....
Owl Power ~ Full Episode | Nature | PBS

Learnt some amazing stuff about owls...really fascinating...

Let my class watch that episode too. I had no idea that owls were so awesome! :) And we were really blown away by the evolutionary design of their faces...like satellite dishes to focus sound to their offset ears! Awesome! I have to say, that we were all very jealous of the two people in the show because they had so many awesome pets too. ha ha

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Let my class watch that episode too. I had no idea that owls were so awesome! :) And we were really blown away by the evolutionary design of their faces...like satellite dishes to focus sound to their offset ears! Awesome! I have to say, that we were all very jealous of the two people in the show because they had so many awesome pets too. ha ha

I'm glad I posted that link 😊

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, I'm really sick of that gold/white/blue/black dress, but I did think it was kind of a neat little trick on the brain. Anyway, I watched this show last night, and it touched on just how easy our senses are fooled. Pretty interesting watch if you have 45 minutes to spare. :)

Brain Games | Season 1 Episode 1 | "Watch This" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4E9NSw0t8

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So basically, I learned that my American diet is very, very bland. ha ha I do love Indian food though. Just don't get to eat it much. Not too many authentic Indian restaurants here in Northwest Arkansas. :p

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So basically, I learned that my American diet is very, very bland. ha ha I do love Indian food though. Just don't get to eat it much. Not too many authentic Indian restaurants here in Northwest Arkansas. :p

For that matter most Indian restaurants serve typical North Indian restaurant food. People in North India don't eat a bulk of those dishes on a daily basis in their homes...If you ever come to LA ping me...I can recommend some good places. Also if Atlanta is not too far for you, there are some really good authentic - regional restaurants tucked away in a strip mall which are very very good. Same with Boston, VA, NYC etc.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I recently just discovered the new Brain Games series! Who remembers the original? I used to watch it every monday in elementary school. Looking back, I'm assuming it was because my teacher was too hung over to teach on Mondays...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For that matter most Indian restaurants serve typical North Indian restaurant food. People in North India don't eat a bulk of those dishes on a daily basis in their homes...If you ever come to LA ping me...I can recommend some good places. Also if Atlanta is not too far for you, there are some really good authentic - regional restaurants tucked away in a strip mall which are very very good. Same with Boston, VA, NYC etc.

Yeah... kinda like our "Mexican" restaurants here. haha
Thanks! I will definitely be in touch of I'm in either of those places in the near future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6