Conversations About Science

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I found this article suggested by cortana and I thought it was interesting to share :) Big Bang theory could be debunked by Large Hadron Collider - Telegraph
I've never liked The Telegraph. The mini black hole thing was around when they first turned it on and got a lot of ignorant people saying nonsense. Looks like they're doing it again.

Not sure how much of this article is correct. I recently saw a show talking about the LHC with a bunch of different physicists. It was way more interesting than that article.

The big bang theory is not controversial. What they're hoping to find is proof of dark matter and dark energy with the experiments this time.

There is still one more upgrade cycle to go. So there might not be any mini black holes at all.

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Heard the news about this this morning. Recently watched a great documentary about the first round of experiments the LHC was put through. Really awesome science going on there! I'm looking forward to see what will come out of this new round. Hoping the issue is resolved soon. It's really amazing to me how, in the scientific community, science can peacefully cross borders, cultures, and oceans with a common goal of understanding how the cosmos works. The number of scientists of different nationalities working there is pretty inspiring. Wish the rest of the world would take note.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Conversations About Science and Physics

I'm right with you on those two. I watched a great Ted Talk with Brian Cox last night.
On a side note, I recently saw the movie Theory of Everything. I highly recommend it if any of you has not seen it. Probably one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. I think because I respect the guy so much, it was hard watching him deteriorate physically over the course of his life. On the flip side, it was also very inspirational.

Another great movie was The Imitation Game. The only downside was that they showed Alan Turing as if he had Autism or something, but he was a perfectely normal dude, with friends and humor.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Another great movie was The Imitation Game. The only downside was that they showed Alan Turing as if he had Autism or something, but he was a perfectely normal dude, with friends and humor.
The was more wrong with that movie than that. It's fine to have some artistic licence but turning him into a traitor wasn't necessary or needed. His life was interesting enough without that.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

The was more wrong with that movie than that. It's fine to have some artistic licence but turning him into a traitor wasn't necessary or needed. His life was interesting enough without that.

He wasn't considered as a traitor in the movie was he?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

He wasn't considered as a traitor in the movie was he?

No but they portrayed him as one with the Russian guy. That was't necessary. Turing was very patriotic and would never have done that. Not only that but most (everyone?) of the people he worked with knew he was gay.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Beach season is right on the corner and in response, lots of people are hitting the gym. But it?s not always the best-smelling place to spend your time.

That could change. A new fragrance developed by scientists at Queen?s University Belfast releases pleasant odors when you sweat.

Gorillas Know How To Put Smelling Bad To Good Use

The ?perfumed ionic liquid,? developed by Nimal Gunaratne and his team in the Ionic Liquid Laboratories Research Center, also removes nasty odors that can come from perspiration.

The science behind it is surprisingly simple. A raw fragrance is chemically attached to an ionic liquid ? basically salt in the form of liquid, which itself has no odor. When water from sweat contacts the ionic liquid, the raw fragrance is released. The more sweat, the more sweet-smelling scent.

Body Odor ID: Your New Smelly Password

What?s more, the compounds in sweat responsible for that offensive stink are attracted to the ionic liquid and when they attach themselves to it, they lose their potency.

The researchers are working with a perfume development company to come up with a product or two that could be sold in shops.

The scientist reported their research today in Chemical Communications.

Future trips to the gym could be a lot more pleasant.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/fragrance-smells-better-the-more-you-sweat-150401.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans