Conversations About Science

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So a bit of a story and some links.

When I was in Finland visiting family one of my wife's cousins has a two year old. Now aside from the (hysterical) little evil laugh she picked up (she uses it when she's going to do something bad which makes it even funnier) which would make a exorcists take notice she had something that reminded me of a couple of articles I'd read in the past. It had to do with her grip. Now I don't have kids but I can tell you one thing, trying to get anything off this child when she had a grip on it was difficult. I'm pretty confident this is not unique.

In infants it's known as the Palmar Grasp Reflex. This is a vestige of our common ancestry with apes and monkeys. The grip is fairly strong. How strong? Follow the links for some interesting pictures and videos.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/the-vestigial-grasp-of-infants/

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/the-grasping-reflex-of-babies-a-vestigial-trait/

I know there's many who still question evolution but I think it's by far the coolest thing.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I seem to remember that Mythbusters tested this a few years ago - as in "How hard is it really to take candy from a baby?".

There's also an emotional strength that can't be measured in Newtons.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I seem to remember that Mythbusters tested this a few years ago - as in "How hard is it really to take candy from a baby?".

There's also an emotional strength that can't be measured in Newtons.

Episode 153 – "MiniMyth Madness"

It is easy to take candy from a baby.

Adam and Jamie measured the amounts of force required to simply pick up a lollipop versus taking one from a baby. They tried snatching the lollipop from babies of various ages (6–18 months), and found that the babies would actively fight to keep the candy. Younger ones tended to use brute force to hold on to the lollipop, while older ones used different tactics such as crying and moving the candy out of reach. Picking up the candy required 0.08 pounds-force (0.36 N), while taking it from the babies took an average of 2.01 pounds-force (8.9 N), indicating that the latter is actually harder to do than the former.

BUSTED

Though this is interesting I prefer the pictures in the article.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If anyone has Netflix, please check out "The Physics of Light". It is a Korean series that is awesome so far. I've watched the first two episodes: Einstein's special theory of relativity and general theory of relativity. The shows explain both in a way that is understandable to the general public. They also provide historical background into Einstein's life at the time. Very cool stuff. I can't wait to watch the other episodes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium